Lathe conversion from stock to CNC

More
21 Aug 2012 11:30 #23470 by andypugh
Soundreflections wrote:

I was referring to the "motor to thread" interface. My current intension is to remove the adjustable dial behind the handle, which I have not found too helpful (Probably not figured out exactly how to read them), then fit a gear in it's place. I then want a gear on the stepper to mesh with it. Making more sense, or not the confusing part?

Still confused. Are you talking about how to get drive to the cross-slide leasdscrew, or something different?

I figure that if I can get an indexed head of some sort I can make a fitting to have my Dremmel cutting at 90deg.

Ah, OK, so gear in the lathe spindle/chuck, cutter on the tool slide?
When I was looking at this I was planning to have the gear cutter in the lathe spindle and the gear blank on a synchronised axis. But the angled feed required, and the need to adjust the depth of cut was too tricky, so I ended up modding the mill instead.

Making gears is quite complicated, when you get into it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Aug 2012 07:35 #23537 by Soundreflections
I am referring on how to get the drive to the cross slide lead screw. I have thought that I will make a mount for the Z motor to have a gear matching the normal lead screw gear. The X axis is giving me some more hassle, as I envisage the motor possibly getting in the way of the hand crank. I am thinking of 2 large gears, for physical spacing.

Hope I am making sense this time, otherwise just ignore it as ramblings, something I think I sometimes do. Thanks for the heads up on gear cutting being complex, I have thought of making a dedicated gear cutter at some point, maybe I will wait till I have a mill someday. I am impressed with your setup. Very similar to what I am planning with my encoder setup.

More
22 Aug 2012 08:57 #23539 by andypugh
Soundreflections wrote:

I am thinking of 2 large gears, for physical spacing.

Gears add backlash, which is not ideal. Toothed belts work nicely. Here is an example (it's actually my lathe)
www.cnczone.com/forums/mini_lathe/63621-...ew-2.html#post509784
I moved the thrust bearings outboard of the tool slide travel, and could squeeze a small pulley and needle roller bearing into the available space under the slide.

More
22 Aug 2012 12:54 #23544 by Soundreflections
I forgot about the backlash problem. You are lucky to have a mill available, even on the same machine. I have a drill press, which is probably not the worst, but no usable accuracy. I should investigate if I can get timing belt pulleys, that is my other consideration, I just happen to have all my change gears that will not be used unless I run manual.

More
22 Aug 2012 13:56 #23548 by Soundreflections
I keep meaning to ask about gear changes. My lathe has a 6 speed gearbox, can LinuxCNC recommend correct gearing, or should I choose a gear, then run the program and evaluate how hard it is running the VFD to check if I need to change gears?

More
22 Aug 2012 15:48 #23555 by andypugh
Soundreflections wrote:

I keep meaning to ask about gear changes. My lathe has a 6 speed gearbox, can LinuxCNC recommend correct gearing, or should I choose a gear, then run the program and evaluate how hard it is running the VFD to check if I need to change gears?

Both are possible.

What might be quick-and-easy would be to make a table of part diameter and material with the optimum gear. You want to use the highest gear which will still have a reasonable VFD frequency at max diameter so that you aren't running out of speed on the smallest diameter.

More
23 Aug 2012 14:13 #23577 by Soundreflections
Any idea where I can get a table of recommended cutting speeds for different metals? I have found many requests for such a table, many people saying they will try and make one, but not yet any actual table. It is possible I am searching the wrong key words, but that would be helpful, in manual and CNC. Presumably I can then tell LinuxCNC what metal I am using, it can ask for the right gear combination. Lazy I know, but even a manual table would be fine. I often try to cut quite slow, finish as fast as possible. Not sure what to look for to find the correct speed. I have often thought video clips of CNC cutters are running very fast when they cut, so I thing I am on the wrong track.

I have now ordered a MODBUS interface for my drive, hoping I will have a reversible parallel port, but it won’t cost too much so I am happy with it, just need to figure out how to program HAL. I am first making my stepper drivers and then I will get the PC down and see if LinuxCNC is happy with it. Wish I had more free time for this!

More
23 Aug 2012 16:11 #23582 by BigJohnT
Look for SFM calculators or charts...

More
27 Aug 2012 14:51 #23684 by Soundreflections
I have found an ideal box among some stuff my work is throwing out. It has latches closing it and the hinges are slide off type. It also has a full metal insert on which all electronics can mount, it can then simply screw in to the box.

I have also started working on my PC. Finally got the thing to boot (long time been standing, looks like it now had a bad RAM and video card.). Looking through the BIOS settings I can set my parallel port to Bi-directional, so hoping I can believe that.

I am wondering how to configure LinuxCNC for serial MODBUS spindle speed. I am hoping it will all be clear and easy once I actually set it up. At this stage I get a black screen once Linux starts, need to play with VGA=778, to try and sort it out, just not had time yet.

Thanks for the SFM hint, I have now found some SMM? charts.
Attachments:

More
27 Aug 2012 17:49 #23692 by BigJohnT
Soundreflections wrote:

Thanks for the SFM hint, I have now found some SMM? charts.

Ah metric would be Surface Meters? per Minute I guess. Also for the most part the charts depend on good tooling and rigid machine and are usually a good place to start.

John

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds