Pimping the mini-lathe

More
06 Jul 2020 08:18 #173728 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Pimping the mini-lathe
Linux Mint
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...nd-easy-installation
Debian 10
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...ick-and-easy-install
Most probably you can change the kernel and for sure you can install 2.8, but if you have RTAI, that is Debian Wheezy so there is no support for it, meaning anything you want to install is going to be a pain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2020 10:13 #173740 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Pimping the mini-lathe
Don't listen to Tommy, Mark. Everybody who uses a Gigabyte Brix really should experience the fun of compiling the kernel on Linux Mint like I had to do before we had all these various shortcuts.

I still recall the horrors 4 years later........

I've got an Odroid H2+ motherboard coming in the next few days which I hope I will let me do something similar to what you are doing but my Brix is mounted to the back of the monitor... Its a bit messy there though. Lots of coiled up cables....

I'm thinking though my next cabinet will be a DIY plasma cut version so all the holes are cut before its folded up. So I'll only need zero tools! I did a simple one the other day and it came up like a bought one once it was powder coated!

More
06 Jul 2020 10:43 - 06 Jul 2020 11:35 #173743 by RotarySMP
Replied by RotarySMP on topic Pimping the mini-lathe
Thanks guys.

Rod, I bought the Brix because you seemed so enthusiast about it. Little did I know you were into S&M and just trying to lure an unsuspecting victim into your fetish world :)

Thanks Tommy, So I can't avoid try to get something to boot from USB again. Bummer.
Mark
Last edit: 06 Jul 2020 11:35 by RotarySMP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
06 Jul 2020 11:05 #173745 by tommylight

Thanks Tommy, So I can't avoid try to get something to boot from USB again. Bummer.
Mark

LOL on S&M, he seems to be quite into it, mostly the M part of it ! :)
Mint will boot and install even on UEFI as i tested on 2 PC's, not sure about Debian as i never tested it on UEFI machines.

More
06 Jul 2020 11:12 #173746 by rodw

Thanks guys.

Rod, I bought the Brix because you seemed so enthuiast about it. Little did I know yu were into S&M and just trying to lure an unsuspecting victim into your fetish world :)

Mark

S&M aside, the best way to get a bootable USB is to use the free win32diskimager on Windows. It has never failed me and I never could get a bootable USB written with Linux.

But back in the S&M days I did read a post on a Linux forum somewhere that indicated that there were ongoing reliability issues with USB writing on Linux.... I think some S&M will ensue next time round cos I ditched my Windows at home in favour of Linux MInt! I did keep a very old laptop to program my Lam Stepper Drivers though...

I hope you get it going it seems from Clive S that the BIOS may be different where you are.... But I was able to install MInt (And the kernel) on a Brix J1900 and a Brix N3160 so your model is in the ball park.

And finally may I say I can't believe that someone could record over 20 videos on the mini lathe! What dedication!

More
06 Jul 2020 11:34 #173747 by RotarySMP
Replied by RotarySMP on topic Pimping the mini-lathe

And finally may I say I can't believe that someone could record over 20 videos on the mini lathe! What dedication!

Ouch, you hit me where it hurt :) I hope I am not encouraging anyone else to do something this dumb. I only wanted to learn to scrape, and then it seemed like good click bait to start a Youtube channel. Now I have to finish it, and then probably sell it. A CNC conversion of a Proxxon mini lathe recently went for €2500 in the classifieds here, so maybe someone is desperate for a scraped turd.

I dont think the problem was in making bootable USB sticks. I have done that often enough (I use Rufus for windows). The problem seemed to be in getting the Brix to recognise that the bootable USB stick was there.

I'll have to see what is on that brix once I get that 19V PSU repackaged and connected.
Mark

More
06 Jul 2020 11:39 #173749 by rodw

The problem seemed to be in getting the Brix to recognise that the bootable USB stick was there.
Mark

I never had a problem there. its all in the boot settings/UEFI etc. But I did get very familiar with the Gigabyte BIOS!

More
06 Jul 2020 11:42 #173750 by rodw

Mark

LOL on S&M, he seems to be quite into it, mostly the M part of it ! :)
Mint will boot and install even on UEFI as i tested on 2 PC's, not sure about Debian as i never tested it on UEFI machines.

Yes, I think MInt booted straight up on this laptop via UEFI.

More
06 Jul 2020 20:10 #173769 by Mike_Eitel
Replied by Mike_Eitel on topic Pimping the mini-lathe
If you have too much to fidle around with your final board...
Just take an other motherboard that works and use it to install the ssd.
Plug it back and probably you have a turning system.
At least i did successfully.. ;-)
Mike
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
06 Jul 2020 20:38 #173772 by tommylight

Just take an other motherboard that works and use it to install the ssd.
Plug it back and probably you have a turning system.

That works from the time of Ubuntu 8.04.
Install on another PC, put that drive into the machine PC and you are set.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds