Brother TC-225 / TC-229 adventure!

More
28 Nov 2023 23:54 #286741 by ihavenofish
So, anyone with a 211, 215, 217, 218 able to tell me what the servo motor frame sizes are? And shafts if possible.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Dec 2023 09:37 - 31 Dec 2023 09:38 #289421 by BerTiN
 Hi everyone.

I live in France.
I entirely read this thread 1 year ago, and I'm reading it again for now.

I've just received in my barn a TC225, which in good conditions, just a little bit of rust (It has been sotcked outside for several months).

I've got an old PC, which is ready to receive Debian and LinuxCNC (Old Sempron 1.3Ghz, 8 Go RAM, Upgraded graphic card for LinuxCNC : Quadro K2200, and 480Go SSD, will it be enough ?)

The goal is to make the TC-225 come to life again, without spending so much money (that I don't have...), so keeping the old Sanyo Denki servos and driver's card, but I didn't find any info (even on this thread) about the way to connect them to 7i77 (there are large connectors for each axis coming from the Brother MB). Which wires are the step, dir, 0, 5 or 10V, I don't know...

I still need to order the Mesa Combo (7i77+5i25).

I have to precise that I'm not very skilled into electonics, newbie with Linux and LinuxCNC, python, and o-code...

But i'm a former 5 axis machinist and programmer (Haas, Mazak, Fanuc, Mori Seiki).

1st question : Does anyone know where to find the complete Electrical diagramms for the TC225 ?

Thanks by advance.  
Last edit: 31 Dec 2023 09:38 by BerTiN.

More
31 Dec 2023 20:24 - 31 Dec 2023 20:27 #289447 by ihavenofish
I have a manual for the 225 (you can find it on google) but it is not super detailed on electrical. I think that is a separate book I've never found. I t is always worth a try making a polite email to yamazen in the USA. They are quite generous with old manuals and have quite a lot of them in pdf. They sent me the full electrical manuals for my 229.

The conversion is basic though, and most of the info on pinouts is in this thread. I think your PC should be fine. Mine was a core2 duo and it was plenty overkill. You need a PC wit a real PSU is the only hitch I found. My mini lenovo would not power the 5i25.

A warning, you may not get good results form the stock servos. I had a hard time. Other people have had a similar hard time. But a few people have also gotten acceptable results since then, so, it is not an absolute.

Good luck and feel free to ask anything and everything here. There are at least a dozen of us now that poke in here that have worked through most problems.
Last edit: 31 Dec 2023 20:27 by ihavenofish.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, BerTiN

More
02 Jan 2024 20:16 - 02 Jan 2024 20:17 #289594 by BerTiN
Thanks a lot for your reply, ihavenofish.

For servos, I sent a mail to a man who managed to use the stock servos, and he said me that there two kinds of driver card for the TC-225. The good one, and the other...

Anyway, I must admit than I would prefer to change them with new ones, and sell them as used OEM parts, which could pay new chinese Delta ones.

I had a look, serveral weeks ago, about the kind of servos I could use, and I found that ones. (pictures)

1kw for Z, and 750w for X and Y. It maybe overkill for this machine, but 400w ones are a bit more expensive.

20 bit absolute encoders, with breaks, pulse-dir command, 220V for each one (I would connect each one on each phase. I've got 380 tri in my barn).

Do you see something wrong with these ones ?
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Jan 2024 20:17 by BerTiN.

More
02 Jan 2024 20:30 #289596 by ihavenofish
I would stick with B3 for all 3 axes for simplicity, but that's the right type of motors. You will need new mounts and couplings.

Interesting about the good vs bad drive versions. Mine was a "first gen" 225. There was a later version than mine with a slightly different casting. Maybe it has a drive update.

More
02 Jan 2024 20:51 - 02 Jan 2024 20:56 #289598 by besriworld

20 bit absolute encoders, with breaks, pulse-dir command, 220V for each one (I would connect each one on each phase. I've got 380 tri in my barn).

Do you see something wrong with these ones ?
If you have three-phase 380-400V. You must connect the drivers in one phase otherwise you will burn the driver.

If you have three-phase 380-400V. You must connect the drivers in one phase otherwise you will burn the driver.  
I shopped at this store a long time ago.You can contact them directly and request a special offer for three sets. 
Last edit: 02 Jan 2024 20:56 by besriworld.

More
02 Jan 2024 20:57 #289602 by ihavenofish
The brother is 3x200-250. It has a multi tap transformer built in but depending where the machine was "sold" it may ALSO already have a 380=240 step down. If not, you need an external 7-9kva transformer to go from 380 to 240.

The delta drives come in single and 3 phase models. You can technically use either with the right wiring.

More
02 Jan 2024 21:19 #289608 by ihavenofish
Now I'm trying to remember things haha.
380 to neutral is is 220v on a wye transformer. So potentially they are correct using 1 of each line to each drive, although the do not need to do that unless the mains is so weak it unbalances it. 1 hot and 1 neutral would feed all the single phase components. Still in my opinion better to get an external 3 phase transformer though.

#notelectricaladvice :P

besriworld post=289598 userid=22254

I shopped at this store a long time ago.You can contact them directly and request a special offer for three sets. 

More
04 Jan 2024 18:34 #289802 by BerTiN
Haha, you're right finally.

phase + neutre = 220v.

The weird thing is that in the first transformer's inputs, neutral is not connected, only three phases, but I haven't prospect farther, yet.

Anyway, do you know a good serie of tutorials for HAL learning, a kinf of "HAL for dummies".. ? 

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.732 seconds