Upgraded to 2.9 and stuck on 4.6. Add PlasmaC To Base Machine

More
06 Sep 2019 04:47 #144312 by TexasCNC
Finally got machine dialed in had to swap the up down signal from thc on breakout board since a cheap Chinese board I guess they are swapped internally cause I did a continuity test and everything was connected correctly. Last resort was just swap ports and ran a test cut now the thc was responding correctly. Everything is working good thanks for the help just need to get my
Backup machine with v2.7 and get that going with the Toma thc configs

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2019 04:55 #144313 by phillc54
Great work. I won't be any help with the Toma config, hopefully someone else will chime in on your other thread.

More
06 Sep 2019 05:38 #144315 by TexasCNC
What would I need to do if I want to add ohmic probe? Besides buying the ohmic probe looking to the candcnc feather touch.

More
06 Sep 2019 05:42 #144316 by phillc54
You would need a spare input on your parallel port.

It may be worth waiting a bit as rodw has been testing an ohmic probe based on the Mesa THCAD5 card which looks very promising and the details should be released soon.

More
06 Sep 2019 06:01 #144317 by TexasCNC
I have one open input on board but your saying I would need to switch over to mesa cards to do this?

More
06 Sep 2019 06:11 #144320 by phillc54
I don't know anything about the Feather Touch or interface and according to their web site they are not interested in connecting it to controllers other than their own.

I am saying you could use a Mesa THCAD5 card connected to a spare parallel port pin.

store.mesanet.com/index.php?route=produc..._id=328&search=thcad

More
06 Sep 2019 09:23 #144349 by rodw
I think to use the THCAD for ohmic sensing you would need to use a Mesa card (supported by 7i76e and 7i92). I don't think you'd do that and not buy another thcad for torch voltage which means you would throw out the Proma. There is a circuit in the Plasma primer document in the 2.8 & 2.9 docs you could use but it consumes 2 pins.

The THCAD method does not require any pins but it does require an encoder input and a software encoder is probably too slow..

More
06 Sep 2019 09:40 #144353 by phillc54
I was under the impression you could use a THCAD with a software encoder.

More
06 Sep 2019 09:55 #144356 by rodw

I was under the impression you could use a THCAD with a software encoder.

Maybe you can, but it takes more pins than the Plasma primer relay ArcOK version..
linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/man/man9/encoder.9.html

You'd have to be careful about the onboard divider setting. The normal 1/32 setting would require about 30 kHz
the 1/128 divider would requires about 7.5 KkHz

The docs above say
As a software-based implementation it is much less expensive than hardware, but has a limited maximum count rate. The limit is in the range of 10KHz to 50KHz, depending on the computer speed and other factors. If better performance is needed, a hardware encoder counter is a better choice.

More
06 Sep 2019 10:09 #144359 by phillc54
You would only need one input pin and one output pin although you could probably get away without the output pin and leave it enabled full time.
I reckon most parallel ports would get away with 1/64 which may well be good enough, it is only for probing after all.

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds