Ohmic3 hal file errors

More
04 Apr 2021 20:54 - 04 Apr 2021 21:05 #204812 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic Ohmic3 hal file errors

So here it is, I bent out the metal connector around the black shield so it is not touching the nozzle.

This ok to use ohmic sensing? Sorry, cant get iphone to focus on the torch at that closeup.

In this picture, the copper piece is the shield (the nozzle is a different part). The piece of metal you bent is supposed to touch it. For ohmic to work the wire on the retaining cap has to touch the shield. Then the shield touches the workpiece and completes the circuit. When that happens, the THCAD reads 24v, the ohmic3 component then interprets this and provides an ON or OFF signal to tell PlasmaC that it’s found the material.

If anything with the torch is shorted internally, or installed incorrectly, your torch won’t fire and you’ll get an error on the hypertherm. From what I can see, you don’t need anything more than you currently have.

Your issue is likely with the wiring of the encoder or settings in the Hal file.
Last edit: 04 Apr 2021 21:05 by snowgoer540.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bevins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2021 21:13 #204816 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic Ohmic3 hal file errors
Thanks, i’ll bend it back so it is touching again.

Something must be wrong in hal files then cause nothing is happening when it touches metal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

More
04 Apr 2021 21:19 #204817 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Ohmic3 hal file errors
Further on this, Snowgoer and I are on the same page. Just he uses a Hypertherm and I don't so he's more familiar with the consumables :)

The Ohmic component emulates a relay with some hysteresis between the on and off thresholds (eg turns on at a high voltage value and off at a lower value).

I think the continuity I mentioned is the important test right now. If there is continuity, the circuit is being closed in the torch tip. If the right consumables are installed, then that should not happen. Dismantle and clean the tip, check for foreign matter that could be shorting it out (Happened to me once in 5 years).

What I don't understand is that there is no encoder frequency with the ohmic tip correctly installed (touching the shield). That should never happen. With a full short, you should see the full scale frequency, at 0 volts, you should see the 0 volt frequency all the time becasue of the THCAD isolation. To me that points to a wiring fault or faulty electronics.

More
04 Apr 2021 21:24 #204818 by rodw

Something must be wrong in hal files then cause nothing is happening when it touches metal.

I don't think its in Hal becasue you are seeing the frequency count under some conditions. Ohmic3 has a pin that displays the THCAD-5 internal voltage (0-5v). With the encoder counting, what ohmic voltage is observed in Halshow?

More
04 Apr 2021 22:56 #204822 by bevins

I don't think its in Hal becasue you are seeing the frequency count under some conditions. Ohmic3 has a pin that displays the THCAD-5 internal voltage (0-5v). With the encoder counting, what ohmic voltage is observed in Halshow?

It is a thcad-10- but I will check it

More
04 Apr 2021 23:09 #204824 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Ohmic3 hal file errors

So here it is, I bent out the metal connector around the black shield so it is not touching the nozzle.

This ok to use ohmic sensing? Sorry, cant get iphone to focus on the torch at that closeup.

That IS the thing used for ohmic probing and that wire should go to one of the THCAD's.
Now i am confused as to how you have it set up....
It should not be bent, it should stay in contact with the shield.
Take some pictures of the torch with everything detached.

More
04 Apr 2021 23:10 #204825 by snowgoer540
I think we are going down the wrong rabbit hole here. He said he has no velocity on the .01 encoder. Even at 0v, there should be velocity.

I’d start there. It sure seems like something with the encoder side of the wiring to me.

More
04 Apr 2021 23:25 - 04 Apr 2021 23:28 #204826 by bevins

I think we are going down the wrong rabbit hole here. He said he has no velocity on the .01 encoder. Even at 0v, there should be velocity.

I’d start there. It sure seems like something with the encoder side of the wiring to me.

All of that is fixed earlier. I had the divider set to 1, PCW kindly noted that's not right as it would never see it.

Now things are happening but I cant seem to get it to work.I think I have my voltages and scales and stuff done wrong. Look at the picture I am getting 45volts in the thcad or so when touching the metal. Should I set my threshold on that? 44-47? It is set to what rod has I think is 24

Whats up with the 0's in ohmic type motion-type?

Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Apr 2021 23:28 by bevins.

More
04 Apr 2021 23:33 - 04 Apr 2021 23:35 #204827 by snowgoer540
If you’re using a THCAD-10, your voltage divider is not 4.9.

You’ll have to calculate it based on the resistor you used to scale the voltage.
Last edit: 04 Apr 2021 23:35 by snowgoer540.

More
05 Apr 2021 00:12 #204829 by rodw
Bevins, post up your scaling resistor value and I'll look at the divider and I'll do some revised calcs for you.

Time to create page: 0.263 seconds