Hypertherm powermax 85

More
16 Nov 2023 22:10 #285660 by tommylight

What type of computer would recommend to use… budget friendly. I would prefer to stay away from used. Thanks for the advice

OK, here is one of mine, typing on it right now but this does not go in the shop, ever, as it did cost an arm and a leg when i got it new, by now prices should have dropped quite a bit so see how much does it end up in your neck of the woods:
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B550i Gaming
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (can take anything up to 16 core Ryzen 9 5950)
Memory 32GB of DDR4 3600 in two sticks of 16GB (safe to have just 2X8GB sticks), this must be 2 sticks.
Kingston 1TB NVME goes for round 60$
Any good power supply, Seasonic are very good
Any AMD graphic card, preferably Radeon 6600XT and up
A good case, 70$ and up with some fans, NO RGB
-
This has been my workhorse for nearly 2 years, it has very low latency with any distro and kernel. Does not go to the shop, but often has a Mesa board attached for testing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Nov 2023 02:17 #285679 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Cnc table for plasma cutter!
For small, I have an Odroid H2+ running an ethercat machine. The newer H3+ people have had issues with. I think I could work around them but am reluctant to recommed it. Perhaps an MSI Cubi i3 might be a good small option but again I have not  tried it.

More
17 Nov 2023 05:38 #285691 by Etkoehn
In your opinion do you think the odroid h2 is better then the R pi4

More
17 Nov 2023 05:45 #285692 by Etkoehn
As much as I would like to get a pc set up like that it’s more then I would like to pay and I only priced the MB and the CPU and I was around $400. I’m sure it would do everything asked it to do and not break a sweat, however I would like to get something more budget friendly. I don’t want to compromise on something that will cause any issues with cutting but I would like to do it with a less expensive computer.

More
17 Nov 2023 10:55 #285726 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Cnc table for plasma cutter!

In your opinion do you think the odroid h2 is better then the R pi4

Without a doubt. J1425 celeron cpu, similar size to pi, 2 NIC. Concern is they use realtek  NICs and they can be problematic with error finishing read which is excessive network latency with mesa devices.

Basically anything with a celeron or above, preferably 4 cores, and an Intel NIC

More
17 Nov 2023 11:34 #285732 by Plasmanfm
Hallo topic autor
I live in Germany
I'm building one too
as a computer I have:
Hp EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF intel Qua Coe i7-4770 4 X 3 40 Ghz 8 Gb 256 SSd .... 119,00 €
on Monitor NEC MultiSync EA 223WM-BK -22 " 47,25 €
Mesakarte i 96s 219,00 €everything was easy to install
ok it's linux I've been using linux a off years " SuSE "
But Debian is new to me

king regarde
Juergen

More
17 Nov 2023 17:59 #285760 by Etkoehn
Hello from over the Pond,
Have you started assembling anything yet?

More
17 Nov 2023 18:01 #285761 by Etkoehn
What do you think of something like this www.amazon.com/dp/B0BB7CY51B/ref=emc_b_5_t

More
22 Nov 2023 01:18 #286207 by Etkoehn
What do you think about the Latte panda 3 delta ?
I like the idea of a single board computer but don’t want to get something that looks isn’t going to do the job well.
I use to like the idea of building computers and have done several when I was younger. I just don’t find that exciting anymore and would rather not. 
Attachments:

More
26 Nov 2023 21:21 #286582 by Etkoehn
Hello, CNC Friends
So I spent a lot of money the last coupler of days. I have purchased a lot of stuff for a cnc table. hopefully I wasn't to cheap....I probably was but the price of things have gone way up .  So I went with the LattePanda. probably a bad choice, I was waiting for experts to join in but did not hear nothing. If you have better options for around the same price let me know, I could always return this. My original plan was with rack and pinion but after reading some of   tommylight   posts I decided to go with cog belt. I would like to use aluminum but the price is so high I will be making it all steel. My gantry with be made from 1.5"x4" tubing 1/8" thick. not as light as I would like it but it will have to do. My width of gantry will be around 62" with around 48" usable cutting with and around 60" cutting length. I will be using nema 23 motors 425oz for the x and y and 178oz for the z. I will ride on linear bearings HGR15s. For the Z axis i will use a double 10" draw slide as  tommylight  suggests and I will use a 8mm acme thread. I ordered the Mesa 7i96 board with THCAD2 boards. I am not sure if the THCAD2 would be the best but I contacted Mesa and that's what they recommended for the hypertherm powermax 85. So after looking, my plasma cutter doesn't have the built in voltage divider, so I will have to purchase that also to get it set up.  So I have screen recording of my 3d drawing.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen>
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds