Hypertherm powermax 85

More
24 Dec 2023 01:02 #288959 by Etkoehn
I am so upset! So I got my belts for the Y axis installed and was trying testing them. One side did not want to track on the pulley correctly. it kept trying to climb the rim I tried to adjust the idlers by bending the bolt to try to force it the other direction. It didn't seem to help or perhaps it made the climb more. Anyway it tore my belt and I don't have a piece long enough for that side. Now I have to wait for the new one to come in. very disappointing because I was hoping to try to do some crude testing. So now I am on hold and maybe its actually a good thing so I can spend time with family instead of machines.
Have any of you had this problem and if so how did you solve it? 
Another question for you all. Why do have to learn things the hard way ?

I really want to get this done soon. I have a lot of other work to do before Almond pollinations starts in California. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Dec 2023 01:55 #288961 by tommylight
Pictures of the pulley mounts?
Usually that happens when the pulley or idlers are at an angle i.e. not normal to mounting plate and tightened to much.
To check tightness i hang 5kg weight in the middle of the belt length and tighten till it droops 1cm only. This is for 3.3 meter length of HTD3 15mm wide belt.

More
24 Dec 2023 08:04 - 24 Dec 2023 08:36 #288972 by Etkoehn
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 Dec 2023 08:36 by Etkoehn.

More
24 Dec 2023 08:34 #288974 by Etkoehn

Here is a couple picture of it. Do you think it would be better for me to use 15mm wide belts instead of 10?

I did not take a picture of the side with the broken belt. However its looks like this accept i did belt the bolts upward slightly to try to push the belt toward the motor more. The belts were riding off the sprocket/pulley away from the motor

Here is my tension, I made mini bryant adjusters. I may have had it to tight, do you think that makes it want to ride off more?
So I have tracked many conveyor belts and I know sometimes there seem to do wacky things if to tight or to loose. Some of those you just know the old warn out conveyor and what it needs to track right other ones you can fight it for hours.

Attachments:

More
26 Dec 2023 05:38 #289065 by Etkoehn
So I pieced the belt together and made it work. So I think I had my belts to tight. However it sill does not track perfectly but a lot better. Do you guys think I should use 15mm wide belts? And I do have a lot of vibrations. I need to adjust my speeds and see how things change.

More
27 Dec 2023 14:53 #289174 by tommylight
Spammer booted.

More
29 Dec 2023 05:38 #289294 by Etkoehn
I's so frustrated. I have so much vibrations on my gantry and I have no idea how to solve it. I am not sure how all my settings should be. My belts still don't track right. But the most frustrating thing is I am not accomplishing anything else. If you guys could point me in the the right place how to adjust all my setting I would appreciate it
Here is what I am using 
HGR15 linear rails, Two linear bearings on each side of the gantry
Nema 23 3.0Nm(425oz.inmotor) (In one of my posts I said I had 34's I misspoke )with Tofelf, Upgraded Version DM556 Stepper Driver
20 tooth pulley on motor to 80 tooth pulley to 20 tooth pulley to 10mm gt2 drive belt
I am not sure what all settings I should tweak and where I should tweak them at

What speeds are optimal for cutting 1mm steel?
What speeds are optimal for cutting 12mm steel?

I am still having belt tracking problems. I need to pull the side of the gantry off and make sure everything is square. I am suspecting that to be partial issue. Going one direct the belt starts to line up right but when i go back its starts to climb the lip of the pulley.

Do you guys think 10mm wide belt is good enough for a 25kg gantry or should I up size to 15mm?

I will be waiting for someone to help me out in the mean time I will finish the X axis and the Z

Thanks for all the help so far

More
29 Dec 2023 12:06 #289307 by tommylight
Loosen the belts, tight enough to stay in place only.
Fix tracking, this might be tricky, depending on how the idlers are mounted. They must be 90 degrees on all sides.
One way to make sure they are 90 degrees is to drill the mounting plate (not tap) and use two nuts on each side of the idler screw.
If using normal bearings with no flanges, use big washers.
Do the idler bearings spin freely without the belt?
What microstepping are the drives set at? 1/16 should be ok.
10mm belt will do for 25kg, but the aceeleration must be lowered to probably 250-300mm/s/s to prevent flexing when changing direction.
Do not buy wider belts before fixing the tracking issues.
For cut speeds, download Hypertherm cut charts, they are a good starting point.
Cut speed depends on a lot of stuff, from air moisture to nozzles in use, cut current being the main factor.

More
02 Jan 2024 07:54 #289542 by Etkoehn
OK, I think some of the issues are solved.. at least partially solved.
So i am running two linear bearings on each side of the gantry and the metal I am using has been bent into a channel, When I tightened up the out 4 outside bolts( 2 on each bearing) I think it puts a bind on them and they do not glide as they should. SO now they are barely snug. Second issue. I had some pulley set screws loosen and lagging behind( not sure how I missed that). I had one drive pulley that wasn't square, I'm not sure if it was this way the whole time because I did loosen them at one point to try to adjust to make it track better.
My drives are set on 6400steps would this be 1/32? Should I go down to 3200.
I did put the washers on the side of my belts and this does seem to help. I need to do some more watching but I don't think the do very much now that everything is lined up better and moves more freely.
I was feeling a lot better today. It felt like i accomplished something.

Thanks for allt he help, I am sure when I get to hooking up the plasma to the machine I wil be asking more questions.

More
02 Jan 2024 12:00 #289551 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Cnc table for plasma cutter!
I have run 25x microstepping (5000 stps/rev) without any issues. You have to be a bit careful because the step timings need to  be reduced. TO short and it won't run righr.

Time to create page: 0.647 seconds