Hypertherm powermax 85

More
20 Dec 2023 00:32 #288633 by Etkoehn

1. If you find JoCo's origami plasma build thread here, you will see he added a second HGR15 due to rigidity issues. So no, while a single HGR15 seems to meet the requirement on paper, it is not rigid enough in the real world.

Ok, I will be using two rails.

2. after some extensive engieering calcs developed over 3 months, we concluded that for a 20-30 kg gantry, a 30mm pinion, 5:1 reduction and a small NEMA34 motor was required. I used a Moon ML34HD2l4500 5 amp motor. There was a case to use a slightly larger Moon 7 amp motor.

So i will be using a 4:1 ratio using a 20 tooth pulley 12mm OD. Does this sound like it will be ok for a 27kg gantry. I have nema 34 steppers 4.2 amps PSU are only 36v

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Dec 2023 07:54 #288645 by Etkoehn
I think it is around 1.2mm So you are very close. The formula you used got you pretty close, but I think the further away from 18 gauge the that formula doesn't work as well.
How thin of material do you think I will be able to cut with no issues?
AS far as fans go. Do you just use regular 120mm case fans?

More
20 Dec 2023 07:56 #288646 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Cnc table for plasma cutter!
Subject to your drivers, 48v would be better.

I think its hard to get much below 25-30 kg uness you use belts. The Z axis and torch is around 5 kg, my ally gantry rail with hgr15 x2 + rack weighed 10 kg and the gantry ends with NEMA34s and belt driven 5:1 gearbox was around 7 kg each. So total was about 30 kg. 
Ideally, you want about 15-25mm travel per motor rev.

There are so many variables... and competing parameters.

More
20 Dec 2023 07:58 #288647 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Cnc table for plasma cutter!
Yes, I used a 120mm fan with vent. The last couple I used industrial hardware for fans and vents instead of computer stuff.

More
20 Dec 2023 13:55 #288664 by Etkoehn
I am using belts, my weight is still way up because I am using all steel. If i run across some aluminum at some point I may change over. The price of metal make scrap pieces appear as shiny as gold.

More
20 Dec 2023 16:16 #288671 by tommylight

How thin of material do you think I will be able to cut with no issues?

Hard to say exactly as there are several factors to consider, but in general for thin plates piercing is the main issue, and that depends on plasma source solely, some use the same air pressure for pilot and cut, some have 2 valves where the lower pressure is used for pilot and higher for cutting, some have built in delays of 0.2 to 0.3 seconds, etc etc.
Again in general, lower pressure and no delay gives better chances of successful cutting of thin materials. If plasma has pre-flow that also helps a bit on plasma's with only one valve.
Another thing, cutting pressure is usually 5 BAR for normal plasma sources, but they all work down to 4 bar, so lowering this also helps.

More
21 Dec 2023 21:18 #288786 by Etkoehn
"Nema 23 with some reduction would have been better only due to vibrations."

What will these vibrations effect?

More
21 Dec 2023 23:55 #288795 by tommylight
Weaving pattern on the cuts, do not worry to much about it, setting microstepping to 1/16 will do just fine, 1/32 will be hard to see even when looking hard.
Do some test at different speeds while jogging, find the speed where the resonances start, make a note and try to avoid those speeds. when cutting.

More
22 Dec 2023 05:40 #288801 by Etkoehn
Can you speed up past the point where it resonates and smooth out again? I know on resonance on other machine when you speed up you want to quickly pass those frequencies but I don't know if that would apply here since your motors are constantly speeding up and slowing down depending on the shapes being cut.

More
22 Dec 2023 13:50 #288822 by tommylight
Again, do not worry, build the machine, do some tests, see how it behaves, then you can decide if there is anything to improve/de-rate/speedup/tune etc.
Resonances are not instant, takes a bit of time for them to start and affect the machine, hence the above about avoiding it, otherwise while cutting usually the machine will pass over those resonant speeds so quickly you wont even notice. So while speeding up and down mostly they are not noticed at all.
All machines will have several resonant frequencies, from motors, friction, ball bearings, carriages, belts, rack/pinion, etc etc.
The good thing with steppers is they vibrate the most at low speeds, and with a bit of reduction are easily avoided.
Example, my machines (build logs on this forum) will resonate on Y axis moving at 150-250mm/m, i never cut at those speeds so i never notice, i found this out during testing and tuning.

Time to create page: 0.195 seconds