Hypertherm powermax 85

More
17 Jan 2024 14:58 #290956 by Etkoehn
I'm back!
So everything has been going well so far, I have all my motors and end stops wired at the table. Drag chains are installed, slats installed but no water pan yet. I will probably do water pan this spring. I need to now mount my cabinet and my electronics inside and then I will then start to wire up my ohmic sensing THCAD and voltage THCAD. 
My question today is. Can I run my wires in steel conduit for a short run or will this cause any issues?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2024 15:25 #290959 by tommylight
Yes you can, helps with isolating interference.

More
06 Feb 2024 17:30 #292669 by Etkoehn
Well Pollination season has officially started. That means very little time for my plasma table. My goal was to finish it before that happened but this has been a huge learning curve for me and way more time consuming then I thought it would be. So I have a few days to work on this before its time to head back to California.

I have my control cabinet now mounted and electronics inside. All my drive motors are installed and wired up and all my limit/home switched wired up. I was getting some errors when I tried to home I am using the Limit/Home on one end of each axis. I don't know if why yet, but I think it may be the wrong setting location for where I have the wires in the terminals. A quick easy check but my sister called me telling me she ran out of fuel, so I had to go help her and it was already late. So I haven't had a chance to verify if this was the problem or I have some bad setting some where.

The real reason I am posting though is to learn how to wire up my THCAD-2's and get my 7i96 to have two places to wire them up. So I found that id it change my firmware when setting up in pncconf from 7i96d to 7i96dpl and I was then given the option under the TB1/TB2 tab for the second encoder. However when I try to launch Plasmac it errors and wont start. Do I need to download the some firmware for this? If so is there instructions on how to do this? I assume you have to download and then put it into some file somewhere... yes I am very ignorant so bare with me.

What size of power supply can I use for the omic sensing on the THCAD2. So it appears power will be supplied to the board by the 7i96 but for the torch I have a 24 power supply. Will that work and will I need any resistors for the omic sensing and if so how do I determine the size and what watt rating?
I ordered a voltage divider for my Powermax 85 with the CPC however I ordered the wrong one and now have to ship back and reorder. 
For the voltage sensing, do I need any resistors since I will be buying the plug for the Powermax 85 or should I build my own voltage divider instead? The voltage divider with the cpc cost 185$   and you still have to buy the the other half of the plug and wire. I like the idea of buying the voltage divider because it is already set up for the powermax and you can chose the voltages you want but the cost is outrageous. 

Any words of wisdom my way would be great.

ET

More
14 Feb 2024 04:22 #293294 by Etkoehn
Well here it is in action. 

Do I need the arc ok signal and where do I get this signal from?

More
15 Feb 2024 16:49 #293416 by Etkoehn
Replied by Etkoehn on topic Hypertherm powermax 85
Hello,
So I have decided to not go with the voltage divider from  Hypertherm and just make my own. I believe I have found where all the wires are located that I will need. Check out pictures below.

J32 plug appears to be where I will be getting my arc voltage from
J18 is Arc transfer(arc ok) and Plasma start

In this photo is shows which wires are what on the plugs
Starting from the top J18  Red and Black = Start plasma, Green and White = Arc transfer (ArcOk)
J32 Black and Red = Raw Arc Voltage
 So to wire this up, J18 red and black wire them to my Mesa board output + - and the green and white I hook the white to my input and the green wire to power supply. J32 Red wire a resistor(Size unknown) second resistor(size unknown) after the first to the black wire black wire to negative side of THCAD2 and red wire after R1 to positive side of TCHAD

So I have a question for you  tommylight . I have seen you say that all one needs its two resistors 1Mohm rated at 2 watts and connect one to each wire and not a voltage divider. So my question is if I was to do it this way could I still mount my THCAD2 in the control cabinet or would I have to mount it on the plamsa machine? My mind tells me this would still be high voltage but very low current but I haven't done any calculations on this to see how low the current would be since I don't know how much currents these machines pull.

Attachments:

More
15 Feb 2024 17:13 #293418 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Hypertherm powermax 85
Yes, 2 of 1MOhm resistors will do, mount them inside the plasma, then it should be OK to mount THCAD inside the cabinet.

More
15 Feb 2024 19:16 #293430 by Etkoehn
Super awesome, thank you for your help. I hardly get any time to work with the plasma table right now but it’s coming along slowly.

More
16 Feb 2024 10:05 #293491 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Hypertherm powermax 85
Good luck without the divider. If you were in Australia. I have a Hypertherm interconnect cable you could have.
Tracking back to hypersensing, the recommended power supply is the Meanwell HDR-15-24
The suggested wiring is in the plasma primer but this is the updated version

I strongly recommend to leave out the AC relay and leave it powered all the time. I found the capacitors took a long time to discharge so it was pointless anyway.

I have also attached the component and a hal file that can be added to your ini file

Attachments:

More
16 Feb 2024 17:10 #293526 by Etkoehn
Thanks RodW,
I curious about the voltage for arc voltage. If running it through a voltage divider, what is the voltage I am looking to get? I am trying to understand it and the voltage that I think am shooting for is dependent if I have my thcad2 set to 5v or 10v. So if set to 10v I need to set my voltage divider to send out arc 10 volts to the thc? If wrong please correct me and educate me on what's going on here.

Second, to determine the resistors.

Do I base it off the open circuit voltage of 305v? Would I then use a 30:1 divider? or is it based of the rated output voltage of 143 and using a 15:1 voltage divider.(ratios based off of assumption above)
Attachments:

More
16 Feb 2024 17:30 - 16 Feb 2024 17:32 #293528 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Hypertherm powermax 85
The THCADS and the power supply I mentioned are both rated to overvoltage of 500 volts way above your open circuit voltage so you won't kill anything!
The normal cutting range is 130v to 170v or so but check your cut charts.
Voltage will likely go over 300 volts briefly when piercing but that does not matter at all because the THC is not enabled at that time. If you plot the voltage with halscope, it will just show up as a flat line when the thcad hits 10 volts (or a little over)
I'm just going to invent a rule of thumb here and say up to 65 amps, use the 10 volt setting and set full scale at 200 volts (20:1) and above that set it to 300v (30:1)
The goal here is to get better resolution from the analog to digital conversion to use as much of that that full scale when cutting.
I never had any issues with my thermal dynamics 120 amp machine with 30:1 and most of my cutting was at 40 amps (It did not have a lower divider  or I would have tried it.)
Last edit: 16 Feb 2024 17:32 by rodw.

Time to create page: 0.318 seconds