Gscreen - a GTK / Glade / Python based screen

More
19 Feb 2012 19:23 #17838 by cmorley
cncbasher

re. machine-on button.

Is this functionality needed? I could not think of a need to have the machine out of estop but machine off, so I combined them.
It's easy to have them separate if there is a good reason.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dan Falck
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Feb 2012 19:39 #17841 by Dan Falck
Replied by Dan Falck on topic Re:Gscreen - a GTK / Glade / Python based screen
Ah ok - it's in the patch file. I missed that earlier.

More
19 Feb 2012 21:20 #17845 by cncbasher
no i dont think so now , your idea keeps it a lot cleaner , after all we are trying not to make the screens cluttered

More
20 Feb 2012 00:26 #17850 by BigJohnT
cmorley wrote:

cncbasher

re. machine-on button.

Is this functionality needed? I could not think of a need to have the machine out of estop but machine off, so I combined them.
It's easy to have them separate if there is a good reason.

I can't think of a scenario that e-stop on machine off would be good for... does anything function in that scenario?

John

More
20 Feb 2012 08:04 #17852 by cncbasher
i know that a few commercial machines use the Estop as a machine off also
but in some cases being able to effectively disable the machine , may be a good idea

some machines once Estop is used , a total power down and restart is needed , so my thoughts were being able to pause or disable the machine through a machine on / off button as in Touchy
this would enable a temporary stop , but not require a total reboot of the machiine , so not needing a reset of home or other initial procedure ,but leaving the machine in a resonable safe condition

again just thoughts John .

More
20 Feb 2012 13:21 #17859 by BigJohnT
My VMC is that way, you press the E-Stop and your in for a reboot. I just looked at the Axis sim and the only function I see the E-Stop doing is enabling and disabling the machine power button. Kinda like Quickbooks press save, then close and you get a prompt to save it before closing... well not that bad. I understand that an E-Stop could be used in many ways but it just seems redundant on a gui to have to press a button so you can press a button although that could be a safety feature so your cat can't put your machine power on by accident... as for when your machining the feed hold is a temporary stop of motion.

Yep, me too just thinking out loud...

John

More
20 Feb 2012 13:58 #17860 by cncbasher
untill the cat steps on the feed hold button

i'd prefer more a sequence of press gui button to enable machine , and leave the Estop to hardware only , Estop should never be in a software loop anyway so removing it may be a good thing , and just have the indication light that the Estop is Active
however if the hardware estop is activated , then the gui needs to be enabled again .

their is a bug in the screen in this respect , but the sequence shown above , is a quick fix , if we leave out the estop gui button , and change it to a machine on

More
20 Feb 2012 14:09 #17861 by BigJohnT
I agree the E-Stop should be a physical button to drop power to the drives but leave the PC running and an input to the GUI to toggle machine power off.

My cat won't get near a running machine too much noise for its sensitive ears I guess...

John

More
20 Feb 2012 14:18 #17862 by cncbasher
the way i have it working here John , is that the Estop will toggle machine power to off on activation also
and needs then the gui to be set active again before continuing , my thoughts are to have an additional led next to the Estop led which shows machine on so you can instantly see either the machine on status and Estop Status together
i.e 2 greens and your cooking on gas ! , one red one green and your goose is cooked , or someones hit the Estop etc

More
20 Feb 2012 15:41 #17864 by karlkec
I think a following error on an axis will cause a machine off, but not affect estop. Also, a tool change component I wrote has an enable input (no tool changer motion unless it's true), and I wired it to machine-on.

Karl

Time to create page: 0.229 seconds