Gscreen - a GTK / Glade / Python based screen

More
02 Aug 2012 11:33 #22672 by BigJohnT
Yes, modify and perhaps follow your path and create a new screen based on the python support files Chris created for Touchy.

Well now that you asked I've been thinking about a plasma GUI that displays the cut path and width and length as big as the plotting screen allows but no relation to physical position. The reason for this is you jog to the start point and press start and use G92 to set that point to X0 Y0. With Axis your constantly zooming in and out and panning to find your back plot. And other plasma related items...

Just reading emc_interface.py it seems to be the connection file to the control part of linuxcnc... it would be interesting to find out what the minimum frame work was to connect to linuxcnc is.

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2012 12:29 #22675 by BigJohnT
Another thing I noticed in Touchy is Chris used a dictionary to connect the signals up. I have found that using the Gtk builder connect_signals to be easier and less typing.

gnipsel.com/glade/python01.html

John

More
03 Aug 2012 03:47 #22702 by cmorley
Gscreen does both at the moment ( not a dic but connecting explicitly in the program).
The problem I found annoying when using glade to connect signals is if you cut and paste in the editor it didn't copy the signal name.
It is easy to miss and takes a while to figure out why the method is not being called.

I would think adding a zoom feature gremlin that centres on g92 x0 y0 z0 would be possible if I understand you properly.
Though that doesn't fix AXIS....

What do you consider a minimum feature list for a screen is?
Making one specifically for plasma is interesting though I don't know the specifics of what that requires.

More
03 Aug 2012 11:34 - 03 Aug 2012 11:50 #22714 by BigJohnT
I think the bare minimum needed is a menu, a button bar, a MDI tab, a DRO tab, a backplot tab, and a tab with the loaded file in it. and a status tab.

Menu File > Open, Quit
Button bar E-Stop, Power

Just looking at gscreen.py and I see you took a different approach that cradek did with touchy. Is there any reason to use GladeVCP in a GUI?

I was going to do a screen capture but I'm having a bit of a problem with GtkSourceView missing something or other... I don't see where you are importing gtksourceview so it must be some other magic. I did find that adding import gtksourceview2 seemed to solve the problem...

John
Last edit: 03 Aug 2012 11:50 by BigJohnT.

More
03 Aug 2012 23:56 #22750 by cmorley
are you importing gladevcp ?

I use gladevcp widgets for a gui because that's what there are there for :)
seriously if the widget does what I want why would I not use it?
Also since the idea is that a user may change the glade file I would not want to limit then to non gladevcp widgets only.
often you can leverage more options out of gladevcp objects by calling their methods in your program.
In Gscreen some widgets I have changed the source code of to help in this matter (particularly gremlin).
When I merge Gscreen into master those options will be available to everyone.

More
17 Aug 2012 10:54 - 17 Aug 2012 10:57 #23333 by Nick
Hi

Some of cnc-club members have have tried gscreen from mentioned here git repository ( git.mah.priv.at/gitweb/emc2-dev.git )
But unfortunately they were unable to launch linuxcnc having this error messages:

What can cause them? Are there any fix?

Thanks in advance :)
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Aug 2012 10:57 by Nick.

More
17 Aug 2012 11:40 - 17 Aug 2012 11:42 #23334 by cncbasher
no 100% sure , but in your home directory you should have a .gscreen_preferences hidden file
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Aug 2012 11:42 by cncbasher.

More
17 Aug 2012 21:48 #23372 by Nick
They have such file with following content:
[DEFAULT]
window_force_max = True
window2_force_max = False
error_font = Sans Bold 10
err_textcolor = default
dtg_textcolor = default
hide_cursor = False
window_geometry = default
use_screen2 = True
gtk_theme = Blue-Joy
window2_geometry = default
abs_textcolor = default
rel_textcolor = default

More
18 Aug 2012 00:47 #23373 by cmorley
Ask them to to replace their preference file with this one:

It seems the default color codes are not actually default...

File Attachment:

File Name: .zip
File Size:0 KB
Attachments:

More
18 Aug 2012 00:50 #23374 by cmorley
sorry the zip name was hidden...

File Attachment:

File Name: gscreen_pr...nces.zip
File Size:0 KB
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds