Work with probe

More
26 Oct 2021 05:42 #224330 by jcdammeyer
Replied by jcdammeyer on topic Work with probe
Thank you. I hadn't clicked onto that issue as a solution.
Best thing to do then is remove the old .axisrc file, remove the existing macro, python and probe-icons folders from PSV2 and then re-install and just make sure the hal and ini files have the correct changes.

I'll report back when that's done.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2021 06:34 #224334 by furynick
Replied by furynick on topic Work with probe
That should do the job as it does for me ... and you make me think I forgot to update .axisrc.

More
26 Oct 2021 08:17 #224352 by jcdammeyer
The .axisrc is dramatically different between versions so you probably do need to update it.
Some observations on the Pi4 with 2.8.2 AXIS remembering I don't actually have a machine connected and just a wire for the probe. (Should really wire in a button). Anyway.

1. The jog buttons now work and the DROs on the PSNG screen now change.

2. Click on one of the probe action buttons and the DROs do not change. At first I wasn't sure if they were even working since nothing is connected. However, quickly flip to the main screen and the DROs are changing and you can see the tool following the path as outlined in the original first posting in this thread for whatever operation is chosen.

3. Run a G-Code program with tool T1 in the tool table and T1 M6 G43 and the tool lifts up, moves to the tool change position. Goes down, Goes up, Goes down and then the dialog with the date of the T1 entry into the tool table shows up. Click on tool has changed button, dialog box vanishes and program stops. After that it won't run again.

Likely this is an interaction between the need for an automatic tool changer and manual tool changing which was commented out as part of the installation procedure for PSNG.

Point #2 isn't critical but really _should_ show all axis motion no matter how it's happening.

Point #3 needs a change to the installation instructions which alludes back to my previous comment that I have no idea what that M6 checkbox etc are for and how to use it. And since I am still changing tools using the tool #'s in the tool table and not then checking tool height with a sensor pad, there's probably no need for this part of the screen.

So perhaps someone who knows, can explain:
a) What is required if the automatic tool changer (and possibly a probe operation to determine tool height) is not needed or wanted.

b) What is required if there is a manual tool change at the tool change position but there is also a probe to a sensor pad to determine tool height. Useful if a different size drill bit is put into a jacobs chuck.

c) What is required if there is an automatic tool changer with tool number and slot number and valid entries in the tool table.

Thanks
John

More
26 Oct 2021 21:33 #224431 by jcdammeyer
Gave it a try to put it on the actual machine.  Step one after installing as per instructions for the AXIS interface is to comment out all lines in the psng.hal file and do not comment out the manual too change stuff. 
#  ---manual tool change signals---
# begin Touch Probe
loadusr -W hal_manualtoolchange
net tool-change-request     iocontrol.0.tool-change       =>  hal_manualtoolchange.change
net tool-change-confirmed   iocontrol.0.tool-changed      <=  hal_manualtoolchange.changed
net tool-number             iocontrol.0.tool-prep-number  =>  hal_manualtoolchange.number
net tool-prepare-loopback   iocontrol.0.tool-prepare      =>  iocontrol.0.tool-prepared

#net tool-prep-loop         iocontrol.0.tool-prepare      <=   iocontrol.0.tool-prepared
# end Touch Probe
That restores manual tool change with only one annoying feature that as yet I have not solved.  We move to the tool change position.  Then it moves move up and then down again before putting up the original dialog rather than the one from the PSNG code.

The second issue and way more annoying is there doesn't seem to be a way to load the smaller icons etc.  renaming the icons folder to icons_1280 and the icons_1024x768 to icons doesn't seem to make a difference in icon sizes.  And I can't find anything that directly references the size of the screen.

What is needed is one of two things:  either a smaller PSNG screen or the ability to slide the panel on the right out of the way whenever the PSNG screen has focus.  I can't be the only one who has stuff sitting beside the main screen.

Other than that, as expected it reaches the -Z distance before the contact occurs (because nothing is connected) so that part appears to work.

John

Attachments:

More
27 Oct 2021 05:15 #224468 by furynick
Hi John, have a look to ini file and replace

EMBED_TAB_COMMAND=gladevcp -c probe -x {XID} -u psng/python -H psng/psng.hal psng/psng.glade

by

EMBED_TAB_COMMAND=gladevcp -c probe -x {XID} -u psng/python -H psng/psng.hal psng/psng_1024x768.glade

More
27 Oct 2021 05:27 #224470 by furynick
I updated axisrc file but it didn't fix my previous problems except settings that seems to be saved and restored properly now.

I think I'll find some time to read all 50 pages of this topic and dive into this project code to fully understand all functionalities. I'll write a full documentation if I can.

In the meantime, I tried "auto zero" option, I guess it set up offsets of current coordinate system.

More
27 Oct 2021 05:44 #224472 by jcdammeyer
Thanks.
I'll try that. I've been digging into the Python code to see how some of it relates to the tool change. I've got some of it figured out but as usual, the only real documentation of any substance is this:
#!/usr/bin/env python
#
# Copyright (c) 2015 Serguei Glavatski ( verser  from cnc-club.ru )
# Copyright (c) 2020 Probe Screen NG Developers
#
# This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
# modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
# as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
# of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

# This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
# but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
# GNU General Public License for more details.

# You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
# along with this program; If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

Whereas for my Python code for the CAN support at least I'm doing this sort of thing:
# Function to update local PDO RelayImage
# Parameters:
#   -- r is which relay to switch (1..8)
#      does not validate relay # to see if in range.
#   -- level is TRUE or FALSE for relay ON or OFF.
# Modifies:
#   -- Global RelayImage bitmap of relay values
#
def Update_Relays(r, level):
    global RelayImage         # if this isn't here then the OR operation fails with unitialized variable.
    # Create the text value of the relay image.
    bitmask = 1 << (r-1)    # Select which relay to switch ON.
    if level == True:
        RelayImage = (RelayImage | bitmask)
    else:
        RelayImage = (RelayImage &  ~bitmask)
# End of Update_Relays

I'm going to start documenting some of the code because two hours later I've forgotten what the heck it was doing.  I think for external documentation some state change and dictionary drawings would also be helpful.  Something like the attached.  I did this a long time ago.

Attachments:

More
27 Oct 2021 06:01 #224474 by jcdammeyer
BTW, instead of changing the INI file with the psng/psng_1024x768.glade I renamed psng.glade to psng_1280.glade and rename the 1024x768 file to psng.glade.

No difference. My monitor screen is 1280x1024 and the image I posted is actually that size. On the Pi4 the 1080P screen does show both my panel and the touch psng screen.

More
27 Oct 2021 06:09 #224475 by jcdammeyer
Here it is on the Pi4 which is connected to a MESA 7i92H. Not sure if the real time delay warning is because I'm also connected via WiFi or if the CAN bus code is taking too much time.
Attachments:

More
27 Oct 2021 08:03 #224482 by furynick
On my side I just renamed psng.glade to psng_1280x1024.glade and made a symbolic link to the file that fit my screen and I have a different panel according to which file I choose.

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds