Work with probe

More
28 Oct 2021 05:14 #224546 by jcdammeyer
Replied by jcdammeyer on topic Work with probe
This might be a better general LCNC question but since it happens inside one of the probe macros I thought I'd start here.

The issue is with manual tool change as parsed in a users g-code like
T1 M6 G43
My observations were that the system would move to the tool position.  Move up and then move down again.  It appears as if the commenting this statement out of doesn't seem to make a difference as the manual tool change operation movement is still being done.
#loadusr -W hal_manualtoolchange
I determined that behaviour by discovering that there are two XYZ locations for tool changes.  The guide tells us to add this:
[CHANGE_POSITION]
# Absolute coordinates of the tool change point
X = 1
Y = 1
Z = -0.5
The guide doesn't tell us to remove these tool change parameters as I have with the '#' symbols
[EMCIO]
EMCIO = io
CYCLE_TIME = 0.100
TOOL_TABLE = tool.tbl
#TOOL_CHANGE_POSITION = 2.5 2 -4
#TOOL_CHANGE_QUILL_UP = 0
By setting the XYZ TOOL_CHANGE_POSITION to a dramatically different position from the [CHANGE_POSITION] shows that the spindle is first moved to that position and then to the [EMCIO] TOOL_CHANGE_POSITION. Commenting those out leaves the spindle at the [CHANGE_POSITION]

I think it's happening because of this in the psng_manual_change.ngc subroutine file.
; using the code being remapped here means 'use builtin behaviour'
M6

Why is there in essence a recursive call to the M6 function we are currently in?  I don't understand why that is there.  I suspect that's what results in the use of the [EMCIO] TOOL_CHANGE_POSITION.

Anyone have any ideas about this?
Thanks
John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2021 08:07 #224552 by furynick
Replied by furynick on topic Work with probe
Well, it's not recursive, the remap option load the appropriate code when the program calls M6.
Then, inside the remapped code, it's the original M6 that is called to ensure LinuxCNC is aware of tool change and set all necessary values on the modal state of the machine (tool number, tool diameter, tool length, etc).

If original M6 is not called within remapped function, the tool will not be considered as changed and probably make erratic behaviour after M6 call in main program.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jcdammeyer

More
28 Oct 2021 15:43 #224591 by jcdammeyer
Replied by jcdammeyer on topic Work with probe

Well, it's not recursive, the remap option load the appropriate code when the program calls M6.
Then, inside the remapped code, it's the original M6 that is called to ensure LinuxCNC is aware of tool change and set all necessary values on the modal state of the machine (tool number, tool diameter, tool length, etc).

If original M6 is not called within remapped function, the tool will not be considered as changed and probably make erratic behaviour after M6 call in main program.

So the question then is if the loadusr manual tool change line is commented out but there are values in [EMCIO] like TOOL_CHANGE_POSITION why is there a move to that location?  What else is running that probably shouldn't be?  Commenting that out solves the move problem but there are others on the test bench Pi4 where I haven't' re-enabled the loadusr manual tool change.

I'll put together a detailed description of those.  Very strange. 

More
29 Oct 2021 09:11 #224634 by myval
Replied by myval on topic Work with probe
Hey,
just wondering if there is version for 2.9?

More
29 Oct 2021 09:14 #224636 by ikkuh
Replied by ikkuh on topic Work with probe

Hey,
just wondering if there is version for 2.9?

I found it is easier to use the qtDragon screens, there is a probe screen incorporated and the screen looks nice too.

More
29 Oct 2021 10:57 #224637 by myval
Thanks for your info. Testing it as we speak.
It did not like my old axis setting so have to manually se it again. (no big deal) the screen definitely looks better then axis
Thanks

More
29 Oct 2021 11:05 #224638 by ikkuh
Replied by ikkuh on topic Work with probe

Thanks for your info. Testing it as we speak.
It did not like my old axis setting so have to manually se it again. (no big deal) the screen definitely looks better then axis
Thanks

There are two probe screens available, Versa probe and probe screen.
The manual explains how to use either through the ini file (confusingly not under the [probe] heading in the manual).
[PROBE]
  #USE_PROBE = versaprobe
  USE_PROBE = basicprobe

www.linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/gui/qtdragon.html
The manual is a work in progress, Chris is really busy with the screen last couple of weeks.

More
29 Oct 2021 16:28 #224660 by myval
right I get all my settings and script run sweet in qtdragon now but I think I am getting dumber.
I can not figure out signal for the probe pin input.

More
30 Oct 2021 10:30 #224710 by myval
right, got the signal sorted (just had my brain scrambled last night)
But, I can not get basicprobe to work, versaprobe seems to work but the screen is all messed up (it looks like it needs bigger screen to work correct)
With the basic probe when I press any buttons it does not move at all and no error messages

More
31 Oct 2021 15:47 #224775 by furynick
Replied by furynick on topic Work with probe
Well, after some trial and errors I finally find a workflow to use probe screen.

I can't use qtdragon as my screen is limited to 1280x1024 and I don't want to replace it (19" rack server console).

Power on
Home
Tool setter
Touchplate height
Zero Z
Touchplate XY

The only remaining problem is tool change, the M6 remap break current program, after confirming tool change everything is stopped.
I have to duplicate Txx M6 to keep the program running and the tool height isn't adjusted as intended.

It seems this is a known problem as several people in this thread reported same issue but I didn't find the solution by reading replys to those messages. If anyone have an idea ...

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds