Mitsubishi SSCNET

More
07 May 2020 20:28 - 07 May 2020 20:30 #166979 by drdyna
Replied by drdyna on topic Mitsubishi SSCNET
What version of MELDAS is currently supported? I have a machine I'm in the process of fixing with MELDAS M3 controls, and I'd really like to run it from LinuxCNC ultimately.

I have a logic analyzer, can provide traces (when I get to that stage). I'm also very familiar with coding and hardware design. I'm guessing the older protocol would be quite similar to the newer one. Seems a little redundant to start from scratch on the M3 protocol when it's probably similar to work you've already done.

I have a
MR-S3-100AA 3 axes servo controller (integrated in one unit) for the axes
FR-SF-2 spindle drive.

They both connect to the FCA M3 controller on some kind of a bus - it's a big 50-60 pin (the terminator is screwed in right now - I'll remove it and count the pins later) 0.1" IDC-type connector.

I was looking at the YMDS2P card on your website which supports MELDAS and it looks like it only has the smaller connector for the newer bus type. I wonder if completely different hardware is needed, or just some adapters. I think the pin out of the bus connector is in the MELDAS M3 manuals somewhere, but it's been a while since I've looked at them.

I would guess supporting M3 / M5 would open up a lot of machines to easy linuxcnc conversion. There seem to be quite a lot of those machines out there being retired from their first life.
Last edit: 07 May 2020 20:30 by drdyna.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2020 21:47 #166984 by dm17ry
Replied by dm17ry on topic Mitsubishi SSCNET
currently i support

MDS-A/B/C-V/SP/SVJ/SPJ servo/spindle with YMDS2P (copper serial)
MDS-D/E servos with YMDS3P (optical)

sorry, i don't support the older parallel bus on MR-S/FR-SF
FR-SF spindle drive, afair, can accept analog speed command

/dmitry

More
07 May 2020 23:20 - 07 May 2020 23:21 #166990 by drdyna
Do you know anything about the older protocol? I mean obviously it'll be different at the hardware level if the old bus is parallel and the new bus is serial, but are the commands or packet structures similar at all?

I need to fix some mechanical things on the machine before I'm ready to dive into doing anything with the bus anyway.

Also I looked up the bus in the manuals I have - 50 pins, all in pairs (not sure if they're differential signalling or not - probably). I thought some manual had at least a rough pinout, but all I could find was a basic cable spec.
Last edit: 07 May 2020 23:21 by drdyna.

More
07 May 2020 23:44 - 07 May 2020 23:51 #166993 by dm17ry
unfortunately no, i haven't tried to hack the MR-S... no idea about the protocol. c'mon, those drives are 30 years old... ;)
i'd be surprised it the protocol is similar to the newer drives. from my experience with reverse engineering, mitsubishi changes everything with each new version. unless you have a somewhat working control to snoop on the bus or a lot of time to disassemble and understand the drive firmware - i wouldn't try to resurrect them. would be more practical to replace drives/motors with something more modern. imho :)
Last edit: 07 May 2020 23:51 by dm17ry.

More
08 May 2020 22:07 #167079 by drdyna
I do have a working control - everything works, I'd just like to modernize the machine. I'll throw a logic analyzer on the bus in the next while and see what it looks like.

Everytime I see people retrofit and replace everything, the machine seems to always end up slower and worse than it originally was. Not to mention the expense of new servos, encoders, and controllers, when the originals work just fine.

More
09 May 2020 10:08 #167135 by dm17ry
i've found CN1A/CN1B connectors pinout. looks like a multiplexed address/data bus with a few extra signals. if you have a running system shouldn't be too hard to reverse engineer...

Attachments:

More
19 May 2020 02:29 - 19 May 2020 06:01 #168224 by Hamada
Replied by Hamada on topic Mitsubishi SSCNET
Hi Dmitry

I am looking for help to be able to run YSSC2P with 2.8.0nyx9 ~ pre1 (PREEMPT_RT / stretch)
Board was installed to PCI slot and Amber Led is showing "long off/short on" (firmware is standing by). When I start Linuxcnc with SSCII configuration but it is showing error as attached report

I installed OS and sscii driver as following:

1. install Debian Stretch
2. Upgrade to Linuxcnc 2.8 RT Preempt
3. Install package from link : yurtaev.com/files/linuxcnc-uspace_2.8.0nyx9-pre1/

File Attachment:

File Name: linuxcnc-report.txt
File Size:5 KB

Hamada
Thanks
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 May 2020 06:01 by Hamada.

More
23 May 2020 18:53 - 23 May 2020 18:56 #168710 by dm17ry
oh, i'm sorry, just noticed your message

i stopped updating the sscii driver module long ago and it only exists in wheezy/RTAI build. to run the card in stretch/buster with PREEMPT_RT kernel you need to update the firmware to v2 and use the 'nyx' module instead. please, contact me via email and i will give links and instructions
Last edit: 23 May 2020 18:56 by dm17ry.

More
28 Sep 2020 16:18 #184182 by RetrofitTools
HI
Very curious if you ever put a logic analyzer on and looked at the transactions to make the MR-S drives work? I have a number of them, with matching motors, that I would love to minimally test. I have an M500 rack with AW616 interface card, but no way to boot it.

If we knew what data was required, I could hack some hardware to write it...
Thanks!

More
28 Sep 2020 17:07 #184183 by dm17ry
Replied by dm17ry on topic Mitsubishi MR-S idea dead?
suppose that question is for drdyna, as i don't have a M500 control (or access to)
same here: if someone gets a bus exchange log - i probably could help. even have an MR-S drive and matching HA83 motor somewhere...

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds