RPI4 Raspbian 64 bit & LinuxCNC

More
17 Mar 2021 22:33 #202664 by andypugh

The problem is when you invoke Linuxcnc or latency-test form the command line. It says it is running Posix non real-time.

This can happen if you have compiled run-in-place but have not run the linuxcnc-dev/scripts/rip-environment script to set up the command-line session.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2021 03:10 #202706 by tjmarch
Thank you Andy for the information. But I have a question if LCNC was installed with Deb files do you have to invoke rip environment? Because I installed LCNC with Debs, not a rip environment install.

More
18 Mar 2021 11:44 - 18 Mar 2021 11:47 #202724 by andypugh

Thank you Andy for the information. But I have a question if LCNC was installed with Deb files do you have to invoke rip environment? Because I installed LCNC with Debs, not a rip environment install.

No,

But, where did you get the LinuxCNC .debs from?

The LinuxCNC .debs need to match the real-time kernel. If you are installing 32-bit LinuxCNC debs from www.linuxcnc.org then you probably need to use the 32-bit preempt-rt kernel.

If you built your own debs, then you (usually) need to be running the RT kernel when you build the debs, and to have run "./debian/configure -r " prior to building the debs to set up the correct real-time hooks.
Last edit: 18 Mar 2021 11:47 by andypugh.

More
18 Mar 2021 11:49 - 18 Mar 2021 11:50 #202726 by andypugh

Install a fresh Raspbian 64 bit from this
Raspberry Pi OS (64 bit)

elovalvo:

Do you mind if I edit your first post to point out that this is the hard way to do things if you _only_ want to run LinuxCNC on the Pi, and that there exists an easier way, ie writing the "official" LinuxCNC SD card image to an SD card?
Last edit: 18 Mar 2021 11:50 by andypugh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: elovalvo

More
18 Mar 2021 20:36 - 18 Mar 2021 21:17 #202762 by tjmarch
Andypugh wrote:
But, where did you get the LinuxCNC .debs from?

I used the debs from this post where I made them on the rt kernel referred to in the post so they are 64bit and built on rt kernel.
My deb files

But did not run:
"./debian/configure -r " prior to building the debs to set up the correct real-time hooks.

I used:
cd debian
"./configure uspace"

Thank you for the reply
Last edit: 18 Mar 2021 21:17 by tjmarch.

More
18 Mar 2021 22:33 #202779 by tjmarch
I followed directions to a tee and used the provided Deb files in this thread and realtime works, still have issue with latency and using pi camera but that was expected, sorry for the confusion. Thanks for the help AndyPugh

More
05 Apr 2021 20:12 #204950 by elovalvo
To continue experimenting with using LinuxCNC with a 64-bit kernel on Raspberry Pi 4 I prepared two SD images.

The first, downloadable at the following link:
Linux 5.4.61-rt37-v8 - LinuxCNC 2.8.1
is based on Linux raspberrypi 5.4.61-rt37-v8 with PREEMPT_RT and LinuxCNC 2.8.1

The second, downloadable at the following link:
Linux 5.10.25-rt35-v8 - LinuxCNC 2.9.0~pre0
is based on Linux raspberrypi 5.10.25-rt35-v8 with PREEMPT_RT and LinuxCNC 2.9.0~pre0

Both can be installed with:
Raspberry Pi Imager
that in the latest version (1.6.1) allows you to modify some startup parameters by using hidden commands that can be accessed with the CTRL+SHIFT+X key combination

I checked operation on Raspberry Pi 4 with 2GB and 4GB.
I don't have a Raspberry Pi 4 with 8GB, so it would be interesting to check how it works.
The following user(s) said Thank You: andypugh, Bari, llamatrails, rdtsc

More
05 Apr 2021 23:09 #204985 by andypugh
I can try it on the Pi400. (if I remember)

Would you expect it to work on the Pi3?

How did you make the images? How do these compare with the "official" images for latency?

I make the "official" images. I would be more than happy to pass that task on.

More
06 Apr 2021 01:01 #205014 by cakeslob
Ill test it on the 8gb today/tomorrow, the 32 bit version for 5.4 works very well. bonus with the 5.10, i need that for a separate project.

How do these compare with the "official" images for latency?

They were pretty much the same,like underwhelmingly the same. pretty much the same as the previous 4.19.70something 4gb ram. I thought maybe between all the images i had saved, older or newers would be faster, but with vanilla settings they are all pretty close to the same. I tested elovalvo's 32bit 5.4 kernel and the 3gb 4.19 kernel official image side by side with 4gb and 8gb units. The only real difference I noticed was the ram, but i didnt dive to deep into the kernel config or anything. I have it loaded on my test unit and it preforms as expected aside for some reason I can only ever use 25% cpu usage, like when using make -j4. I forgot about that until just now.

More
06 Apr 2021 06:46 #205041 by elovalvo

I can try it on the Pi400. (if I remember)

In this case, you must verify that a hal_pi_gpio module works because the Pi400 (6) version is not included in the source code.

Would you expect it to work on the Pi3?

I don't think so, because I compiled the patch for the runtime with the bcm2711_defconfig option.
Following the link lemariva.com/blog/2019/09/raspberry-pi-4...19y-performance-test
you should use the option bcm2709_defconfig

How did you make the images?

I followed the steps in the first post of this thread.
In this case, however, I took into account the suggestion to disable virtualization (KVM)
github.com/kdoren/linux/issues/5

How do these compare with the "official" images for latency?

I have not installed the official releases at this time.
These days I try to make them

I make the "official" images. I would be more than happy to pass that task on.

Just tell me which version you need and I'll be happy to prepare it
The following user(s) said Thank You: tjtr33

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds