LinuxCNC Install using MX Linux 19.4 - Geared Toward New Users - Discussion

More
10 Jun 2022 20:09 #244900 by snowgoer540

Ok I will give it a shot tonight.

Thanks for the help.

The link I provided actually was the same one in the document. On my phone, it takes me to the .iso you mentioned. On the computer it takes me to the correct download. So I added a warning to that page.

I also re-chunked all of the documents so steps should be correct and the python alternatives stuff is removed.

Let me know if you have any other snafus.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2022 21:26 #244907 by tommylight

After going through the complete installation, removing the USB drive and clicking Finish the machine fails to reboot, I tried several times with the same result, it just loads the bios screen says no OS is on the drive.

Enable CMS, disable UEFI, disable "secure boot", all in BIOS, try again. Might work without the need to reinstall.

More
10 Jun 2022 21:59 #244909 by snowgoer540

After going through the complete installation, removing the USB drive and clicking Finish the machine fails to reboot, I tried several times with the same result, it just loads the bios screen says no OS is on the drive.

Enable CMS, disable UEFI, disable "secure boot", all in BIOS, try again. Might work without the need to reinstall.

Perhaps, but it will yield a Bullseye system, and not a Buster system. Which, to a new user makes everything much more complex.

More
10 Jun 2022 22:03 #244910 by CarterKraft
I got it to boot, only thing I changed was changing from MBR to ESP on step of Section 3.
How much does that matter?

More
10 Jun 2022 22:13 #244911 by snowgoer540
You’ll have to use the rip install route and compile every update after pulling it down vs using prepackaged deb files.

It’s not rocket science but some don’t like the extra work/steps.

Also I’m assuming you’re going 2.9 and not 2.8.

More
10 Jun 2022 22:17 #244912 by CarterKraft
I'm over my head here but developing muscle memory haha

I was hoping to get on 2.9 with which ever version of linux is popular here (most support) .

The debian 11 was very plain IMO I am preferring MX so far.
I don't have a working plasma table (or drives for that matter) this is just preparation for when I do.

More
10 Jun 2022 22:26 #244913 by CarterKraft
I have a snag with the "git clone github.com/LinuxCNC/mesaflash.git"
gives "fatal: unable to access 'github.com/LinuxCNC/mesaflash.git' " message.

More
10 Jun 2022 22:42 #244914 by snowgoer540
I was replying from my phone earlier.  Now that I am back at the computer, I can say a bit more.

Buster is the officially supported distribution for LinuxCNC.  That may change down the road, but now, that's the way it is.  I created this guide with respect to Buster, on MX Linux to give a new user the greatest chance for success with the smallest amount of frustration.  Deviate from it at your own risk/challenge acceptance level.  It is sort of an "here's the way I found to be easiest to get started when I was new to Linux/LinuxCNC as well".

At any rate, the build bot, which creates the debian installation packages automagically creates them up to the Buster distribution.  If you choose to go later than Buster, you are accepting that some of the things that make it easy for a new user are not supported.

If you go the RIP route, you will not get the "start" menu items, etc.  You will have to keep in mind that you will need to run a rip-environment script before running things like pncconf, stepconf, etc.

It's not that it's impossible, but for new users, and for users that are not on a supported distribution, it can be cumbersome.  And if you want the menu items on a later than Buster distro, you could create your own debian packages, but that is far outside the scope of this tutorial.

As for your other post, it's very important that you follow the steps to a T to be successful (which in my humble opinion would require actually being on 19.4 in the first place).  

The line is:
git clone https://github.com/LinuxCNC/mesaflash.git

These commands are very specific.  Case matters, etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CarterKraft

More
10 Jun 2022 23:20 #244918 by tommylight

Perhaps, but it will yield a Bullseye system, and not a Buster system. Which, to a new user makes everything much more complex.

How is changing BIOS settings going to change what Debian gets installed???
Not nice.

More
10 Jun 2022 23:30 #244921 by snowgoer540

How is changing BIOS settings going to change what Debian gets installed???

It wont, I was referring to the fact that he said he installed the latest link on the sourceforge site (MX Linux 21.2), which would be based on Debian 11. So it kind of shoots the Subject Topic's install guide in the foot from the beginning is all I meant.

Not nice.

Wasn't my intent. I apologize if that is how it came across :-/

Time to create page: 0.920 seconds