LinuxCNC Install using MX Linux 19.4 - Geared Toward New Users - Discussion

More
11 Jun 2022 02:12 #244925 by CarterKraft

tommylight post=244907 userid=17274
How is changing BIOS settings going to change what Debian gets installed???

It wont, I was referring to the fact that he said he installed the latest link on the sourceforge site (MX Linux 21.2), which would be based on Debian 11. So it kind of shoots the Subject Topic's install guide in the foot from the beginning is all I meant.

Not nice.
Wasn't my intent. I apologize if that is how it came across :-/

I get that (starting on 19.4) , which is the reason I brought it up. On both of my machines, windows and linux it downloads 21.2 no 19.4 even though the file says as much. 
For me this is drinking from the fire hose. I know enough to try, which is not fun at times.

This whole dialect/architecture is very tough to troubleshoot for rookies and I am giving it my all but there is LOTS of struggle. Even following this well thought out and put together guide I am at a less than 50% success rate for each command.

I blew off the Mesa Flash issue (I don't even have a Mesa card to use yet) and moved on to the linuxcnc part which fails again for various reasons.

Where I am currentyl...
GPG error: buildbot.linuxcnc.org buster InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY EF1B07FEE0EE663EThe repository 'buildbot.linuxcnc.org buster InRelease' is not signed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2022 02:18 - 11 Jun 2022 02:27 #244926 by CarterKraft
And in the middle somewhere from installing the OS to MX from blank the wifi driver that MX provided did not work correctly, some sites worked but others did not, Linuxcnc.org was one of the "did not".I used a non-free firmware list I found when installing debian 11 that repaired the wifi. It was pretty handy actually. 

drive.google.com/drive/folders/1LtMXI9l3...nfvPxaDO1Lfte5pCtuu_

Last one for the night.
Mesaflash fails here because "pkg-config can't find libmd"

root@mx:/home/ckcplasma# sudo apt install libpci-dev pkg-config build-essential git
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
build-essential is already the newest version (12.9).
git is already the newest version (1:2.30.2-1).
libpci-dev is already the newest version (1:3.7.0-5).
pkg-config is already the newest version (0.29.2-1).
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  libllvm11 libllvm11:i386 libqt5sensors5 libqt5webkit5
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
root@mx:/home/ckcplasma# git clone github.com/LinuxCNC/mesaflash.git
fatal: destination path 'mesaflash' already exists and is not an empty directory.
root@mx:/home/ckcplasma# cd mesaflash
root@mx:/home/ckcplasma/mesaflash# make
Makefile:61: *** "pkg-config can't find libmd".  Stop.
root@mx:/home/ckcplasma/mesaflash# sudo make install
Makefile:61: *** "pkg-config can't find libmd".  Stop.
root@mx:/home/ckcplasma/mesaflash# mesaflash --help
mesaflash: command not found

Last edit: 11 Jun 2022 02:27 by CarterKraft.

More
11 Jun 2022 11:15 #244937 by snowgoer540
Are you sure you're following my instructions, and not a set from somewhere else?

For the key issue, this is from my install guide (and I 2x checked it works over here):
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-key EF1B07FEE0EE663E

For the mesa flash issue, looks like they changed a dependency and I missed it.  I am considering just adding a link to their instructions so they stay current, but in the meantime you just need to install the libmd-dev package.  So:
sudo apt install libmd-dev

As for the ISO download, I'm not sure what to say there.  It downloads the correct one over here.  Maybe try going to this link: sourceforge.net/projects/mx-linux/files/Old/  Then click the MX-19.4 folder, then click MX-19.4_x64.iso (it's about 16 lines down).

The following user(s) said Thank You: CarterKraft

More
11 Jun 2022 17:30 #244942 by CarterKraft
I am using the guide in the locked thread. I did some research to try and resolve they problem which is why the server is not the same, just suggestions I found on the forum.

I will attempt to download the 19.4 file specifically from your link.

It's all part of the process, these things seem to be so fluid creating a static guide is substantial chore. I do appreciate the work put into it and helping me learn the process.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
12 Jun 2022 00:27 #244968 by CarterKraft
Well 19.4 sure makes a difference from a following this guide point of view. Basically ZERO issues when starting from the correct OS version.
I am sure there are more hurdles to come but I have QtPlasmac up and running.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, snowgoer540

More
12 Jun 2022 12:00 #244988 by bevins
Where is this install document?

More
More
27 Jun 2022 12:12 #245995 by CarterKraft
After a successful install using this guide. What would be the next steps?

I am trying to get connected to my 7i96S but while I can ping it I don't seem to be able to find it with Mesaflash.

I am not sure where I am at in the process though, if it should work now or do I need to complete other steps.

I can make a new thread but I wanted to exhaust my options first.

More
27 Jun 2022 13:27 #246007 by snowgoer540
Since it’s such a new card, and seems to be outside the scope of the install doc, I’d recommend a new post in the Driver Boards section.  You’ll likely get more attention there and it will probably help someone else out as well. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: CarterKraft

More
06 Jul 2022 11:14 #246706 by RDA
Hello,

Any tips how can I force cpu governor to "performance" permanently? At the moment after reboot, the system reverts back to "powersave". As I dont know where this is loaded at boot, I would rather not just try a "random" file after googling.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds