LinuxCNC Install using MX Linux 19.4 - Geared Toward New Users - Discussion

More
24 Apr 2023 11:37 - 24 Apr 2023 11:45 #269754 by beefy
Hi Rod,

good to be back a bit. Haven't had much time at the plasma table since getting a fishing boat LOL, but a job came in and I had to read up on how to use it again.

Realised I missed the old girl, and after doing the cut, ripped the PC out to do the MX install. Ha ha, life can't be that simple can it.

I feel sorry for Snowgoer after he's put the effort into writing that tutorial for us, and now it doesn't seem to work like it used to.

I'll give your tutorial a shot tomorrow, got nothing to lose right now.
Thanks very much for that.

This is really making me realise how "fragile" a setup can be with Linuxcnc when you are basically a layperson with Linux. I'm starting to wonder if there's a "safe" way to have a backup. Example, instead of relying on updates, new Python versions, etc and downloading the latest off the web whenever you do a fresh install, can a user store all the install files that are known to work on a storage device and simply re-use them if they want to set up a spare PC years down the track. Is that what a RIP install is. Damn I feel so clueless with Linux.
Last edit: 24 Apr 2023 11:45 by beefy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2023 02:08 #269799 by snowgoer540

I feel sorry for Snowgoer after he's put the effort into writing that tutorial for us, and now it doesn't seem to work like it used to.

No worries. I’ll take a look and see what’s messed up. The python stuff shouldn’t be affecting this distribution. I still run MX 19 and keep the packages up to date for all of my development work. No issues.

At any rate, I have been meaning to make a similar guide for MX 21 anyhow. Just haven’t gotten around to it. I do think someone recently used this guide though with success. Are you sure you didn’t miss a step maybe? Or a copy paste error? I’ll report back once I get some time to check it out.

If you were used to MX, you aren’t likely to enjoy the standard Debian distribution of Bookworm. Just my unsolicited $0.02.

More
25 Apr 2023 03:33 #269801 by beefy
Hi Snowgoer,

I think the problem is something to do with Qtvcp.
In both MX and Debian installs everything goes OK until it comes to that.

As per Rods suggestion I've just installed Debian Bookworm and am also having issue with it. Axis sims seem to be fine but when I start a Qtplasmac sim, there are screen display issues and after closing Qtplasmac an error box is displayed. I've attached the "linuxcnc.report" file.

File Attachment:

File Name: linuxcnc.report.txt
File Size:6 KB

The main window in Qtplasmac where the part to be cut is shown, I can see the main Debian desktop. If I go to a different window within Qtplasmac, then go back to the main window, the part window shows what was showing in the previous window. Hope that made sense.

As can be seen from that report, the issue seems to start here:
Starting DISPLAY program: qtvcp
Shutting down and cleaning up LinuxCNC...

And further down in the report:
Debug file information:
Can not find -sec DISPLAY -var INTRO_GRAPHIC -num 1 
Can not find -sec DISPLAY -var INTRO_TIME -num 1 

And yes you are right, I do like MX better, it seems easier to get around. I'm only trying the Debian route out of desperation so I can get my plasma table up and running again
Attachments:

More
25 Apr 2023 03:42 #269802 by rodw
Beefy, can you try typing
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/qtvcp/designer/install_script
as mentioned in the qtplasmac docs?
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.9/html/plasma/qtplasmac.html#qt-dependency

Hey, I never said I like Debian, I just use it for linuxcnc!

More
25 Apr 2023 03:48 #269803 by phillc54
Are you running Wayland?
If so the package in Bookworm is older than the fixes. As a workaround you can open a terminal and enter export QT_QPA_PLATFORM="xcb" and when that completes run Linuxcnc from the same terminal.

More
25 Apr 2023 04:34 #269806 by rodw

Are you running Wayland?
If so the package in Bookworm is older than the fixes. As a workaround you can open a terminal and enter export QT_QPA_PLATFORM="xcb" and when that completes run Linuxcnc from the same terminal.

If you followed my instructions you should end up with XFCE which isn't on wayland. If you are uncertain, go back to the logon screen, click in the password field and a gear icon appears at bottom right. Select something like Gnome on xorg or xfce and login. This is discussed in my instructions.

More
25 Apr 2023 05:28 - 25 Apr 2023 06:40 #269810 by beefy
Rod, I entered the command you gave:
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/qtvcp/designer/install_script

and it appeared to have completed that process OK.
However, same problem with Qtplasmac.

So I then checked the gear icon at login and Gnome was selected.
I changed it to your suggested "Gnome on xorg" and then Qtplasmac sim started without the aforementioned screen issues, but when I closed Qtplasmac it give an error box on close again.

So back to that gear icon and changed from "Gnome on xorg" to "Xcfe session".
Again Qtplasmac sim started and appeared OK, with none of the earlier mentioned display issues, but once again when I close Qtplasmac, still getting an error box.
This is the error report: 

File Attachment:

File Name: linuxcnc.report2.txt
File Size:6 KB

No idea if the error message on Qtplasmac close is significant or not.

EDIT !!!!!
Regarding the installation and GUI selection. I remember a graphical window where I think Debian and Gnome where already selected, plus something like "standard accessories".
I've just started re-reading your instructions and realised it said DE-SELECT gnome and Debian. I missed that bit and left them selected, but also selected the Xcfe box.
So a thousand apologies for that.
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Apr 2023 06:40 by beefy.

More
25 Apr 2023 05:32 #269811 by phillc54
Don't worry about the shutdown error it has been fixed since the Bookworm version ofLinuxCNC.

More
25 Apr 2023 05:43 #269812 by beefy
Awesome, cheers Phil.
So hopefully I can just enter my config and I'll be up and running again.

Rod,
thanks very much for the assistance.
I went away from "Xcfe sesssion" and back to "Gnome on xorg" because the Xcfe session kept the Debian desktop icons at the bottom of the screen when I started Qtplasmac. Those icons then cover info at the bottom of the Qtplasmac screen.

More
25 Apr 2023 05:55 #269813 by beefy

I do think someone recently used this guide though with success.
Are you sure you didn’t miss a step maybe? Or a copy paste error? I’ll report back once I get some time to check it out.

I don't think I stuffed up anywhere. 

When doing "sudo apt upgrade" the install paused asking me whether I want to update grub. I selected "Y" every time, so no idea if I did the correct thing there LOL. 

To avoid typo errors with terminal commands I also went through each of your PDF files, and copied the commands to a text file, so I could copy and paste in the terminal window, seeing as I couldn't copy and paste from the PDF files.

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds