Ethercat drive configuration woes

More
04 Dec 2022 00:30 #258467 by mwc
I did wonder if there were more steps that had to happen.

The drives are all entering OP state, but I'm not sure if they are correctly configured, as the software supplied differs from the manual.
There is no pos-feedback from the motor, but I suspect this may be due to configuration. The motors don't even enable/energise.

I should be getting sent the correct software on Monday, so I might wait until then before trying anything else.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Dec 2022 21:44 #258535 by mwc
So I had another try with this today, and added some extra lines to the ethercat xml to read individual values in Hal Configuration.
None of the values asked for from the driver ever show a value. They all remain as 0/not set.

To me, it's like the ethercat master isn't receiving anything valid back from the drives, but if I change the pdo idx for syncManager 2 to 1601, the drive goes into a watchdog timeout error (going by the flashing on the drive), and the ethercat debug reports Timeout when setting state OP.

Changing the pdo idx for syncManager 3 (to 1a00 or 1a01), doesn't have any noticeable effect.
I did try setting it to 1a02 (not listed in the manual), and ethercat debug shows a Failed to receive AL state diagram: Datagram initialized error ,which is what I'd expect for a non-existent register.

I've attached a few files if anybody wants to see if there is anything that stands out as a problem.

EC_output xmls are from ethercat xml -p2. One with the drives just powered on, and one once LinuxCNC has loaded.
The termin-EC text files are what shows with ethercat debug level 1. One as LinuxCNC loads, then the one as LinuxCNC is closed.
The conf.xml is my ethercat config xml.

More
05 Dec 2022 00:24 #258544 by db1981
this all looks good...

did you add the functions to hal? addf lcec-readall, addf lcec-writeall ?

Maybe you have to set an parameter in the drive to enable ethercat control.
The communication with the ethercat slave chip is working, but this is standalone. This talks to the Drives main CPU/Board with serial or I2C, could be that this channel is closed, caused by an parameter.

More
05 Dec 2022 20:55 #258623 by mwc
I received the correct software this morning, and it connects to the drive, but it only lets me set various configuration options. It doesn't give me any insight into the actual operation of the drive.

I also received the xml for the drive (attached). I've had a quick scan through the dictionary objects (first set start around line 1140), but I can't even see anything specifically for enabling the drivers.

I'll contact the supplier to see if there is meant to be anything else configured as part of the initialisation.

Attachments:

More
06 Dec 2022 14:15 - 06 Dec 2022 14:17 #258699 by wazza77
Hi, I have just received this same drive today and will be going through the same process in the manual I received in section 3.5 on page 18 it is saying by default it is set as open loop PA002 just wondering if one of these settings could be a problem? also the software for the drive I have been looking for this as well. what is it called so I can ask for it as I to received the wrong one?

P.s. just wondering if you are able to read any of the digital inputs at all?
Last edit: 06 Dec 2022 14:17 by wazza77.

More
06 Dec 2022 15:22 - 06 Dec 2022 15:23 #258707 by wazza77
 hi, its 1 am in the morning here so check my work. but I believe the issue may be in the cia 402 state machine, in the manual it wants us to issue 0x6, 0x7,0xF to 6040h ( cia controlword) to enable the drive(page 23 of the manual. whereas the 402 state machine is going to issue 0x2,0x3,0x7. from what I can see on github.com/dbraun1981/hal-cia402/blob/main/cia402.comp. please find the attached manual
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Dec 2022 15:23 by wazza77.

More
06 Dec 2022 15:36 #258708 by mwc
I actually just managed to get 2 of my drives to activate under LinuxCNC control.

I only had a single drive connected and was trying to get them to manually activate via terminal commands (as per Dj Junior's video - forum.linuxcnc.org/ethercat/44944-steppe...hercat-rpi-4?start=0), and noticed the statusword updated, having been stuck at 0.
Checking the value via Hal Command, it still showed zero.
Out of curiousity, I plugged the other two drives back in, and they reported the statusword correctly, and the drives worked via LinuxCNC.

I then restarted everything, and I'm back to nothing working, and am trying to workout what exactly caused things to burst in to life.

I do suspect there is a config issue somewhere, as the first connected drive, always switches to ID 1 when LinuxCNC is loaded, regardless of what the rotary selector switches are set to. It's not a drive issue, as I have tried rotating drives.
The strange thing is, I cannot see any address for setting the drive ID via EtherCat, so there must also be functionality that's not documented.

More
06 Dec 2022 15:47 #258711 by wazza77
I will try getting my drive to work over the next week or so depending on my work. Don't worry I was like this with my first EtherCAT servo drives years ago it eventually all falls into place then you move overseas for work and forget everything and come home and start from scratch again

More
06 Dec 2022 15:52 #258712 by db1981
you can't set id for ethercat slaves. Slave enumeration is done automatic by the daisy chain order.... first slave is slave after the master.

More
06 Dec 2022 15:53 #258713 by db1981
state machine from my comp is ok . 0x6 -> 0x7 -> 0x7f . Bit 2 (quickstop) is always set.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wazza77

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds