Snuggly's Plasma Build

More
23 Oct 2018 00:17 #119229 by snugglylovemuffin
I'm running steppers all the way around, I've tried Toma previously, I'll give it another shot, however I'd like to continue pursuing this THCUD system, seems like it's a very simple option... as soon as I figure out how to wire it in.

@tommylight & Grotius I'm rewiring my box as per your suggestions and will post pictures when I'm done
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Grotius

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Oct 2018 20:12 #119280 by Grotius
Replied by Grotius on topic Snuggly's Plasma Build
Hi Snuggly,

Do your best. Make a nice logical setup with your wiring and pin numbers setup.
I prefer to start with the Toma. If you got this working you get one karma +.

More
23 Oct 2018 21:01 #119286 by snugglylovemuffin
I'm running a double shielded coax cable (grounded to the the table {grounded to my shop}) to get the voltage off the plasma cutter for the Proma. My enclosure is a bit small so this will have to do until I get a computer case to put it all in.

@Grotius, Thanks for the support man, I have been venturing far beyond my capacity. I'm glad that Tommylight put up that Plasma "How To", however I can't help but feel that this could all be added into the linuxcnc launcher.
Attachments:

More
23 Oct 2018 21:17 #119289 by Grotius
@Snuggly,

I know how you feel.
It could be adapted to the linuxcnc launcher. But maybe the structure of the launcher is to simple.

If the linuxcnc launcher was interactive with the linuxcnc git. (source) Then user's could search in the launcher for plasma solutions.
Then gui providers could connect to the interactive workout. The Toma is in fact one of the interactive solution's
Even the laucher could look for upgrading your system to a certain work out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
24 Oct 2018 21:06 #119360 by snugglylovemuffin
@Grotius, I love how dynamic linuxcnc is, however it suffers from a pretty steep learning curve.

Alright, my box is almost fully wired up, I need to drill some larger holes for my coax connectors. I shouldn't need to shield the relay to the torch, right?

I have to switch back and forth between Windows and Linux to get a solid internet connection, that's why my responses are spread out. I'm hoping to have the whole machine moving tonight and I'll work on both the Toma and THCUD just to have options.

More
24 Oct 2018 22:10 - 24 Oct 2018 22:12 #119365 by Grotius
Snuggly,

If you have a solid state relais, you wont have trouble. If you have a spool relays on hf start you won't have trouble with
hd plasma because this inverters are good isolated. Maybe your inverter is cheaper and not so good isolated. You will
find out. In the past i spend a lot of money to find out what is working. After that i bought a pilot start plasma solution.

Dont work on the THCud solution. First goto the Toma config, if you have steppers around.
I told you before. Please provide a picture of your wiring. Before and after. B)
Last edit: 24 Oct 2018 22:12 by Grotius.

More
24 Oct 2018 22:30 #119368 by snugglylovemuffin
It's a spool type relay so I hope it's all good. I do need to run a shielded cable to my float switch though.

I definitely want to upgrade torches ASAP, however I need this thing to make me some $$$ before I can justify the cost.

Lol, okay, I'll make a video of my whole wiring setup

More
28 Oct 2018 02:14 #119533 by snugglylovemuffin
Here's my controller, ready for testing. I'm excited to build a second machine that will be 100x better and address all of this current tables faults.

I'll start posting my machine HAL here soon for you guys.

Oh yeah, the motorcycle is an '82 Yamaha Virago XV920

More
28 Oct 2018 20:05 #119565 by Grotius
Hi Snuggly,

Nice video. You have a nice voice also, it sound's relaxing.

Okey, if you have your machine working xyz and plasma start, you could do some test without a torch height control.

I prefer you start with this. After some test cutting, you post a video. And we will go on to the next level.

More
30 Oct 2018 00:44 #119633 by snugglylovemuffin
Lol, that wasn't the response I was expecting but I'll take it! Thank you. I'll be posting more regularly now that I have some things out of the way. Your advice is appreciated and I will follow it faithfully.

How should I designate in my machine files that my soft stops are NO?

I just got 100' of quad shielded coax just in case I have to rewire my Z axis.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds