Snuggly's Plasma Build

More
14 Nov 2018 23:11 #120713 by snugglylovemuffin
I changed the values you suggested and my z axis still isn't working. I'll have to run some tests to verify the driver isn't damaged (just came out of the box, so not likely). If this is a common problem perhaps you have more information or avenues for me to explore so I can remedy this issue quickly.

Here's my current .INI, just in case I misunderstood your instructions.

Also, if you have an idea of how to use a DVR8825/A4988 chip with the mesa board I'd genuinely like to know how that would be wired up, I tried a couple methods with a GRBL arduino shield to no avail.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2018 00:29 #120719 by islander261
Replied by islander261 on topic Snuggly's Plasma Build
Your step times are still short for unknown hardware. We really need to see your .hal files as well to know if you have your signals connected to the right pins. What 7i96 connector and pin numbers are the drive signals connected to?

John

More
15 Nov 2018 00:43 - 15 Nov 2018 00:52 #120723 by snugglylovemuffin
Okay, I'll grab those real quick.

Okay, here it is.
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Nov 2018 00:52 by snugglylovemuffin.

More
15 Nov 2018 01:48 #120727 by islander261
Replied by islander261 on topic Snuggly's Plasma Build
Ok

A quick look and didn't find any glaring problem so that leaves the external wiring to the stepper driver as the main culprit. First you need to confirm that the Z signals are actually there. To do this you can either use Halscope or connect one of your working axis drivers temporally to the Z axis output on the 7i96 card. The inverse is also good in that you connect the Z axis driver to a working axis. In your configuration use the Y axis for testing.

You have a dual drive gantry system, is there any reason you are not using synchronized homing on your X axis?

linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/config/ini-homing.html

John

More
15 Nov 2018 19:45 #120769 by snugglylovemuffin
I was planning on swapping over the drivers to check operation, pretty fast and easy.

I swapped the homing sequence 2 for -1 to keep rodw happy. Haven't had any problems with the homing sequence so far, other than the driver not working on my Z axis.

More
15 Nov 2018 21:03 #120775 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Snuggly's Plasma Build

I was planning on swapping over the drivers to check operation, pretty fast and easy.

I swapped the homing sequence 2 for -1 to keep rodw happy. Haven't had any problems with the homing sequence so far, other than the driver not working on my Z axis.

Its more a case of keeping LinuxCNC happy.

As John says, I'd swap the Z axis stepper wiring at the controller onto a known good stepper controller on another axis. If the Z does not move, you have a wiring fault.

Does the Z axis actually lock solid when powered up? It should

More
15 Nov 2018 21:27 #120779 by snugglylovemuffin
good question, I didn't check to see if the stepper was had any holding torque. I have a second DM860A if this one is dead, which would be unfortunate, but ordering a new DM560A will take at least a week. I'm interested to know if it's possible, or how to wire up a DRV8825/A4988 through an Arduino GRBL shield.

More
15 Nov 2018 23:13 #120792 by snugglylovemuffin
Z axis is working!

I've started the preliminary wiring to integrate the THC. I'm admittedly pretty clueless on this front so here's my files so far. I'll need to change up my homing sequence again, that's no big deal.

LET'S GET THIS GIRL RUNNING! (very excited :D)

More
16 Nov 2018 03:48 - 16 Nov 2018 04:04 #120811 by snugglylovemuffin
First error, I pray of few, is:

iptables: no chain/target/match by that name.
./THC_vcp.hal:4: Pin 'pyvcp.Scale-CHLThreshold-f'does not exist 1208
Last edit: 16 Nov 2018 04:04 by snugglylovemuffin.

More
16 Nov 2018 04:06 #120813 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Snuggly's Plasma Build

./THC_vcp.hal:4: Pin 'pyvcp.Scale-CHLThreshold-f' does not exist 1208

I would check in halshow what pyvcp pins do exist, it may be just a typo. If so just edit the hal file
The following user(s) said Thank You: snugglylovemuffin

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds