Snuggly's Plasma Build

More
05 Nov 2018 20:20 - 05 Nov 2018 20:20 #120032 by Grotius
Replied by Grotius on topic Snuggly's Plasma Build
Hi Todd,

I agree. But the gantry type's with homing sensor's only on X0 and X1 is one of the exeptions.
If you have homing sensor on Z. You have no problem. It stay's in the rules of linuxcnc.
Without homing on Z. You find out the solution is a custom component. Or change the linuxcnc source code.
The last option will be a great impact to merge after a few year's of separate coding between the master and the sub.
Last edit: 05 Nov 2018 20:20 by Grotius.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Nov 2018 20:42 #120035 by Todd Zuercher
Would it not be simpler and more effective just to add a Z and Y home sensor. They would not need to take any more io points, they could share with the X1 and X2 home inputs, if you are short on io points..

More
05 Nov 2018 20:59 #120036 by Grotius
Replied by Grotius on topic Snuggly's Plasma Build
Hi Todd,

Thanks for your input, i know what you pointed about.
Effective is not the word for the problem. The problem is different. It has more to do with machine size.

In point of time. It matters. If a machine each time linuxcnc startup have to be homed, customer's will think about why homing each time i startup... ?

In practical way we could say add a home sensor on Z, i agree.
Y homing for milling machine's is standard.

For plasma a home z is out of the box. Only the probe sensor is important in my case.
But it really takes time by format 2x4m or 2.5x6m if machine is stopped and closed in the middle.
So that is not a fast option. I tell only my experience so far, and provide information that is usefull to
developper's section to make Linuxcnc the most powerfull cnc application in the world.

I could do it myself, and write a component. But i also will help others, like snuggly. I like this guy and his video's.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snugglylovemuffin

More
05 Nov 2018 21:13 #120038 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Snuggly's Plasma Build

I believe that both of those problems become non issues if you use the convention of having the machine home the Z axis first before it homes the other axis.

And most machines can be jogged before homing. Some gantry setups may be exceptions to that rule. But even those can usually jog the non slaved joints before homing (in other words move the Z out of the way).

Getting the Z axis out of the way was an early (and violent) learning for me. Yes it takes more time to home sequentially but it sure is safer!

More
05 Nov 2018 23:59 #120059 by snugglylovemuffin
@Todd Zuercher: I boughtthe 7i96 specifically for my large gantry machine so I have plenty of IO at the moment. I have been able to start the homing process, my end-stops just aren't working.

@Grotius, thanks man, I appreciate the help

@Rodw: I was able to get the machine to home in the proper order (z, y, x1&x2), thank you for your suggestions!

I've been talking to PCW about how to write in the NC switches for Mesa, (in_not > in-not) however I can't get my pins to trip in halshow. I'm going to try a different wiring scheme and see if that fixes the problem. Still waiting on PCW to confirm the wiring for my endstops.

More
06 Nov 2018 23:53 #120130 by snugglylovemuffin
Just a quick update, depending on how you wire your switches on the 7i96, will determine what you do with your common pin on the board (TB3 Pin12), in my case I have to wire the pin to ground.

@Rodw, you were right, it was my wiring for the most part. Also, GPIO pins on the mesa board are numbered 0-10, not by overall pin count, which was my mistake entirely.

Found the info above: forum.linuxcnc.org/27-driver-boards/3276...ernet-board?start=10

PCW -
The 7I96 isolated inputs have a single common pin.

If you have 5V signaling and your switch common is connected to +5V you should connect the 7I96 input common pin to ground, then when a switch is closed (and 5V applied to the input pin)
the corresponding GPIO bit should read high

If you have 5V signaling and your switch common is ground, you should connect the 7I96's input common to +5V
then when a switch is closed (and the 7I96 input pin grounded) the corresponding GPIO bit should read high

You can use the "watch" command in axis to look at the GPIO pins in real time

More
09 Nov 2018 19:09 - 09 Nov 2018 20:09 #120345 by snugglylovemuffin
Figured it all out, limits working! I might've mentioned my openbuilds stepper on the Z axis isn't working, I'm trouble shooting that now.

We'll back to integrating TOMA THC into Mesa just a little later today. Cross your fingers gentlemen.

UPDATE: driver is done for, luckily I have a handful of A4988 drivers (should still work), wiring them up might be a pain though.
Last edit: 09 Nov 2018 20:09 by snugglylovemuffin.

More
13 Nov 2018 00:32 #120522 by snugglylovemuffin
FFS I couldn't get the DRV8825 to work so I swapped out a DM860A (dropped amps to lowest setting), wired the driver exactly the same as the DM542A and it won't work... I kept the same step/dir values.

So many little issues popping up. I looked up some recommended step/dir values to change over. getting pretty cold here so I need this thing running ASAP so I can get it into a shop.

More
13 Nov 2018 15:15 #120553 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Snuggly's Plasma Build
It's worth using step times comfortably over the minimum spec.

More
13 Nov 2018 16:52 - 13 Nov 2018 16:57 #120576 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Snuggly's Plasma Build

It's worth using step times comfortably over the minimum spec.

This is by far the most common problem that people have with our hardware and
step drives that are wired properly but wont move.

Unless it limits your maximum velocity I would suggest
using step times that are double the drives minimum specification.

Also unless you have insanely quick acceleration (many Gs), there also no real disadvantage to using
quite long setup and hold times so 20000 ns is a good value to use there.
Last edit: 13 Nov 2018 16:57 by PCW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snugglylovemuffin

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.245 seconds