Snuggly's Plasma Build

More
28 Nov 2018 00:04 #121500 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Snuggly's Plasma Build
If you are using a recent version of master you need to change line 165 of thc_2018-11-27-2.hal
net TurnTorchOn motion.spindle-forward => xor2.0.in0 and2.8.in0 and2.6.in0 mux2.4.sel not.0.in
to:
net TurnTorchOn motion.spindle.0.forward => xor2.0.in0 and2.8.in0 and2.6.in0 mux2.4.sel not.0.in
The following user(s) said Thank You: snugglylovemuffin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2018 00:14 #121502 by alan_3301
Replied by alan_3301 on topic Snuggly's Plasma Build
It looks like you have received extensive help already. You can either pay for a control system with dedicated phone support, pay someone to figure out how to configure your system, or pay with your own time to figure it out.

You don't have to be a genius to understand the basics of HAL, but you do have to do some research to figure out how to solve problems. The very first hit on a google search for "pin "motion.spindle-forward" does not exist" will show how to fix it.

Break your system and configuration down into manageable chunks that can be solved independently and logically. Get your motion stuff working and error free, archive your files for reference. Then make changes to try and get THC, or whatever other parts need work.

It can be frustrating, but it's not likely that someone else has the exact same setup that you can copy the configuration from. And no one is sitting at the machine with you to know exactly what changes need to be made.

More
28 Nov 2018 00:21 #121503 by snugglylovemuffin
I've received quite a lot of help, this is absolutely true. My apologies, it's incredibly frustrating to have dumped thousands of dollars and weeks of time into making something work and it just won't work.

The good thing about my build is that it's based on some of the best available components (minus Proma 150, should have went with the THCAD in hidsight), which means that if implemented and supported that it can bring in new users. This is not a machine that many people start with, certainly not with an ethernet board. This is purely my fault. However it's the purpose of the community to help develop these technologies as Linux has in the past. I will post again here with the report after modifying my file with the updated motion.spindle

More
28 Nov 2018 00:25 #121504 by alan_3301
Replied by alan_3301 on topic Snuggly's Plasma Build
I understand your pain. I have a non functioning system that I would love to be able to pay for someone to figure it all out, but I am not at the point that I know exactly what else needs to be done yet.

In some cases it would almost certainly be cheaper to buy a turn key system, but for me the challenge is part of the fun. This is all hobby for me though. If I had a business then it would change things.

Good luck, I hope you figure it all out soon.

More
28 Nov 2018 00:40 #121506 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Snuggly's Plasma Build

If you are using a recent version of master you need to change line 165 of thc_2018-11-27-2.hal
net TurnTorchOn motion.spindle-forward => xor2.0.in0 and2.8.in0 and2.6.in0 mux2.4.sel not.0.in
to:
net TurnTorchOn motion.spindle.0.forward => xor2.0.in0 and2.8.in0 and2.6.in0 mux2.4.sel not.0.in

Actually (and this is all my fault, I changed the pin names)
net TurnTorchOn spindle.0.forward => xor2.0.in0 and2.8.in0 and2.6.in0 mux2.4.sel not.0.in

The pin names of all the components are listed here:
linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/ (scroll down to Realtime components and kernel modules )
Most pin names begin with the component that creates them. The exception is "motion" which also creates pins starting with "axis", "joint" and "spindle"
linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/man/man9/motion.9.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, snugglylovemuffin

More
28 Nov 2018 01:34 #121508 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Snuggly's Plasma Build
HaHa, I read my reply twice before submitting and still got it wrong :(

More
28 Nov 2018 05:03 #121512 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Snuggly's Plasma Build
Hmm, Andy, I wonder if with the benefit of hindsight if
motion.spindle-forward
was retained and received the same value as
motion.spindle.0.forward

That would solve a lot of conversion problems when people move a single spindle machine config to master. (How many would have multiple spindles right now anyway ?)

More
28 Nov 2018 09:26 #121517 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Snuggly's Plasma Build

Break your system and configuration down into manageable chunks that can be solved independently and logically. Get your motion stuff working and error free, archive your files for reference. Then make changes to try and get THC, or whatever other parts need work.

That is how it should be done, everything needs a priority list or order of things.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, snugglylovemuffin

More
28 Nov 2018 10:52 #121522 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Snuggly's Plasma Build

Hmm, Andy, I wonder if with the benefit of hindsight if
motion.spindle-forward
was retained and received the same value as
motion.spindle.0.forward

That would solve a lot of conversion problems when people move a single spindle machine config to master. (How many would have multiple spindles right now anyway ?)

The conversion script will convert configs that it is presented with, but doesn't get the opportunity when folk hand-edit to the old pin names.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw, snugglylovemuffin

More
28 Nov 2018 21:48 - 28 Nov 2018 21:50 #121556 by snugglylovemuffin
OMFG YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Okay, probably too early to start rejoicing, however linuxcnc booted up w/out error!

Thank you gentlemen. I had to change the stepgen (in THC.hal) over to the hm2_7i96... etc. and completely delete the "EMBED_TAB_COMMAND" to shirk the gladevcp errors.

Here is the current working file set, now forever on the internet for posterity (and my sanity) sake!
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Nov 2018 21:50 by snugglylovemuffin.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds