Another plasma component...

More
26 Jul 2019 22:46 #140695 by phillc54
I was thinking of adding a torch off via a digital pin for 'overburn' of whatever it is called.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2019 22:49 #140696 by Grotius
Replied by Grotius on topic Another plasma component...
Phill,

Do you mean ignition time out?

More
27 Jul 2019 02:09 #140709 by thefabricator03
Phill,

Changing the delay setting to 0.1 fixed the problem,

But as Franklin wrote should the delay be before the z axis raises up? That would make the feature work like it should in my option.

More
27 Jul 2019 02:49 - 27 Jul 2019 02:55 #140710 by phillc54

Grotius wrote:
Do you mean ignition time out?

I am not sure, this is where plasma cutting seems to have a real problem, it depends on where you read something as to what something is named...
What I mean is turn the torch off at the end of hole (which was also the start of the hole) so X/Y can continue for about 4mm before the Z axis raises.

Edit: Number 3 on this page

thefabricator03 wrote:
But as Franklin wrote should the delay be before the z axis raises up? That would make the feature work like it should in my option.

So when we get a M5, turn torch off (if not already off), stop for n seconds then raise the Z axis.

I have a good project for someone: ;)
Come up with a set of naming conventions for LinuxCNC so at least we know we are all talking about the same thing.
Last edit: 27 Jul 2019 02:55 by phillc54.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, thefabricator03

More
27 Jul 2019 03:11 #140711 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Another plasma component...
Phill, once you get this finalised, the Plasmac GUI and docs will be the gold standard plasma dictionary!

Yes any delays should keep the torch at cutting height until its over otherwise there is no point keeping the arc running. The intent is to let the trailing arc on the lower side catch up to the end point.

I'm wondering if it should not be able to be changed with M67/M68 from gcode? Different materials and different cut types (holes vs outside cuts might need different delays.

What does Stefan think ? I'm not really the one to make a call on that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, thefabricator03

More
27 Jul 2019 03:57 - 27 Jul 2019 04:00 #140714 by thefabricator03

Different materials and different cut types (holes vs outside cuts might need different delays.

I do not think we need different delays for different cut types, Unless we are going to turn PlasmaC into sheetcam! If we were to do that then that would help. I over cut my holes and outside cuts. Just makes it easier to pull the finished part out of the skeleton and get the center slugs out of holes.

I feel that just having the delay work as it should by leaving the z axis at cut height until the torch has finished will solve 98% of all problems.

Dont worry Phill, with all of the testing I am doing with your baby we will have it at a industrial level in no time! I am averaging about 2 full sized sheets a day, thicknesses from 1.6mm up to 25mm and everything in between. Also cutting small parts and very large parts.

One thing that is out of this scope of this project and even physics I think would be if we could eliminate taper of air plasma parts. That would truly be something worth working towards if possible! Looks like a Hi Definition unit is in my future. Problem is they start at the $40,000 price range.

90% of the parts I cut dont need to be perfectly square edges but for the other 10% having the part come out with square edges would save a bit of grinding.
Last edit: 27 Jul 2019 04:00 by thefabricator03.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, tommylight

More
27 Jul 2019 07:46 #140722 by robertspark

Phill, once you get this finalised, the Plasmac GUI and docs will be the gold standard plasma dictionary!

do need to use a standard nomenclature though

More
27 Jul 2019 07:53 #140723 by robertspark
how are you controlling the torch off before the end of the overcut?

I presume that the overcut is set in sheetcam??

how do you tell the torch to turn off early? (I use the equivelent of m63 Px)

More
27 Jul 2019 08:11 #140724 by thefabricator03

how do you tell the torch to turn off early? (I use the equivelent of m63 Px)

With the G-code I dont program manually, I use Sheetcam for the code generation, I set the overcut in the sheetcam cut settings.

More
27 Jul 2019 08:13 #140725 by robertspark

how do you tell the torch to turn off early? (I use the equivelent of m63 Px)[/quote

With the G-code I dont program manually, I use Sheetcam for the code generation, I set the overcut in the sheetcam cut settings.

but how does linuxcnc know when to turn off the torch early before M5? (before the overcut)

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.320 seconds