My Newb Plasma Table Attempted Build

More
18 May 2020 23:27 #168207 by phillc54
Man, it seems your machine has a mind of its own. :)

That is wierd, PlasmaC doesn't know about inside or outside cuts. Is this issue happening on straight lines or curves or both.

I should have said to repeat those two earlier ramped cuts with THC enabled to see what happens. You would need to ensure that the cut was long enought for the THC to become active.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2020 01:18 - 19 May 2020 01:19 #168220 by dvn4life1972
I need to do more cuts to make sure it's just outside vs inside. After I posted I realized the plasma wasn't clamped to the work piece (it was clamped to the table frame) on the last part. The one before that gave me no issues, so I'm wondering if maybe that was the issue. And it went the opposite direction up instead of down.

Edit: straight and curved lines after it goes roughly a foot or so.
Last edit: 19 May 2020 01:19 by dvn4life1972.

More
19 May 2020 11:35 #168256 by dvn4life1972
Is it possible that if, in the run panel, I selected Use Auto Volts selected but above that I entered a voltage value in the Cut Volts field that could be causing the issue? That's how mine is (just a brain fart on my part).

More
19 May 2020 11:42 #168257 by phillc54
It only uses Cut Volts if Auto Volts is not selected.
Can you check your wiring from the machine to the THCAD and make sure the polarities are correct.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dvn4life1972

More
19 May 2020 11:48 #168258 by dvn4life1972
Yes, I already did that in a previous 'episode' when I came to find out my 5v power supply was the cause of the issue (the control panel was reading a constant neg voltage). They are wired correctly for polarity.

More
19 May 2020 12:12 #168260 by phillc54
Have you tried increasing THC Delay.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dvn4life1972

More
19 May 2020 12:23 - 19 May 2020 12:25 #168261 by dvn4life1972
No, I haven't. I'll give that a go on my next attempt though.

Edit: I did monitor the voltage and it only fluctuated a range of approximately 3 to 4 volts after the arc stablized post-piercing. There's not even some crazy voltage spike or drop that's causing it, and before yesterday the damn thing always went down until it touched the material and tripped the float switch. Now it's changed it's mind. Should I give it a good spanking?
Last edit: 19 May 2020 12:25 by dvn4life1972.

More
19 May 2020 12:24 #168262 by phillc54
Just reading through a few posts and I see that you mentioned that if the workpiece clamp is on the workpiece the Z axis moves down and if the workpiece clamp is on the table the Z axis moves up. Is this correct?

More
19 May 2020 12:29 #168263 by dvn4life1972

Just reading through a few posts and I see that you mentioned that if the workpiece clamp is on the workpiece the Z axis moves down and if the workpiece clamp is on the table the Z axis moves up. Is this correct?

No, and I probably didn't word that post very well...my apologies. The first attempt after I reset the PID P gain value from 10 to 1 as you recommended, that first cut was fine and the clamp was on the actual work piece.

On the next (2nd) part, different material, I had moved the clamp and put it on the table frame to get it out of the way while I changed the sheet of steel out. I forgot to reclamp it onto the actual material and made the cut and the torch went up, etc. I didn't realize I had done this until after I posted here about the THC acting up again, and then I followed up wondering if that could have been the cause (because the first part after the change you recommended worked beautifully).

More
19 May 2020 12:40 #168264 by phillc54
OK, that was kinda leading me to thinking it may be a grounding or power issue.

Looking like a halscope plot or two is needed.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds