My Newb Plasma Table Attempted Build

More
04 Jul 2020 11:48 #173599 by tommylight

It would be a shame if followers built his plasma config when plasmac is now available.

I did inform him about PlasmaC.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jul 2020 17:17 #173611 by dvn4life1972
Before I tear down the machine I figured I would see if I could coax the machine to make me some riser plates, etc, for the machine upgrade.

Since I know that the backlash (or whatever) issue repeats itself fairly identically, I oriented the part for cutting so that the least amount of cutting would occur on the Y negative direction. Also I tried the centre spot feature for my first time ever, wow. That is so useful and awesome!

My main concern was that the holes were laid out correctly and identically on both plates, so I made that the first operation and made sure that during the torch moves on the centre spotting operation there was no Y negative movement...much like taking slack out on a manual engine lathe. Then I made sure the outside cutting minimized travel to the Y negative until the very end cuts. We're only talking .04" backlash or error when moving to the Y neg direction, so I think these plates are totally useable. The centre spotted holes came out exactly where they were supposed to.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, tommylight, Clive S, thefabricator03

More
07 Jul 2020 19:29 - 07 Jul 2020 19:32 #173902 by dvn4life1972
I'm getting pretty excited now. The 3030 extrusion has arrived so now I can check my centre spotted hole alignment and whatnot before drilling all of the holes.

I'm very impressed with how much beefier this is in comparison to the current extrusion on my gantry. There's no way that my gantry as it is would stand up to the weight of the new Z axis.

My dog Wilma isn't nearly as enthusiastic as I am.

Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Jul 2020 19:32 by dvn4life1972. Reason: Text disappeared for some reason.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, thefabricator03

More
07 Jul 2020 20:01 #173904 by tommylight
Nice, a Rottweiler !
Had 2 of them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dvn4life1972

More
07 Jul 2020 20:42 #173914 by dvn4life1972
I have 2. They're sisters/litter mates, a little over 2 years old. Much better behaved than our human kids lmao!

More
13 Jul 2020 23:04 #174541 by dvn4life1972
Had to take a break. I herniated a disc in my back last week. Anyway, I'm feeling a little bit better and decided to get something done today.

Took all of the table apart down to the frame. I never had got around to painting it, and a little bit of surface rust has begun to settle on the frame. This is the perfect opportunity to correct that and put some protection on it. Also added a couple of pieces of square tube to the bottom for more leg support. I've been wanting to add something that I could place my plasma on, and I had this angle iron laying around in the garage so I just used two pieces. I'll probably get some expanded metal for both sides of the angle iron so I have a complete bottom storage area.

Tomorrow it will get a mount point for the new electronics enclosure and then the paint. It's 106 deg F put right now, so I think I've had quite enough for today.
Attachments:

More
15 Jul 2020 03:45 #174680 by thefabricator03
Its pretty cool seeing these small uncomplicated table designs. It goes to show that keeping it simple can still work.

More
15 Jul 2020 04:09 #174681 by rodw

Its pretty cool seeing these small uncomplicated table designs. It goes to show that keeping it simple can still work.

Hmm, I wonder if dvn4life1972 actually still thinks its uncomplicated having got this far!

But yes, agree you can do it quite cheaply....

More
18 Jul 2020 03:45 #175008 by dvn4life1972
My back is feeling a little bit better, so I rearranged the small space I have and can now begin v2.

The gantry riser plates I made seem to be in good order, only got this side partially assembled and I was able to mount the rails to the 3030 extrusion that makes the gantry beam.
Attachments:

More
18 Jul 2020 03:53 #175009 by thefabricator03
Thats a pretty interesting way to mount the linear rails.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds