My Newb Plasma Table Attempted Build

More
19 Jul 2020 03:55 #175104 by dvn4life1972
Finished both of the Y axis rails with the reduction drives. I just placed the gantry extrusion on top of the risers to get an idea of what it might look like. The risers are height adjustable and are not set to the correct height yet.

Tomorrow will be gantry day and hopefully I'll get the Z axis on it too.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, thefabricator03

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2020 04:15 #175222 by dvn4life1972
Got the gantry mounted up proper, and the carriage for the X axis sorted with the Z mounting. Just a touch of paint on the carriage and then I'll get the gantry and Z mounted permanently. It's a bit high, but it will be fine. Gives me a bit of space for an air scribe in the future.

Also got the BRIX PC out and installed mint. Still have to install linuxcnc after I get the RT kernel in there, but it's coming along.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, tommylight, Clive S, thefabricator03

More
20 Jul 2020 10:21 #175231 by tommylight
Just in case you mised it, so you do not have to go through all the compiling:
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...nd-easy-installation
The following user(s) said Thank You: dvn4life1972

More
20 Jul 2020 14:26 #175256 by dvn4life1972

Just in case you mised it, so you do not have to go through all the compiling:
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...nd-easy-installation

I did miss that one! I was following John's instructions and have been having trouble with the kernel. I think I'll start again with the one you pointed out. Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
20 Jul 2020 15:12 #175261 by dvn4life1972
The Z axis put together with the exception of the covers. It's a bit high (it's at the bottom of travel), but I think it'll probably be ok.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, tommylight, thefabricator03

More
21 Jul 2020 06:30 #175301 by Mike_Eitel
Hi
Of topic
If i see on your last image how the torch is fixed with one clamp.. I would expect that to change mechanicaly when there is sidewise load from the cable.
Mike

More
21 Jul 2020 13:01 #175331 by dvn4life1972

Hi
Of topic
If i see on your last image how the torch is fixed with one clamp.. I would expect that to change mechanicaly when there is sidewise load from the cable.
Mike

In the picture the torch is tilted. That is because the clamp is not tightened, I just placed the torch in it to get an idea of how much would be below the mount. The cable will be routed differently and secured so it moves with the Z axis. Also, the torch mount is a magnetic breakaway setup.

More
22 Jul 2020 10:02 #175375 by Mike_Eitel
Thats all clear to me, but dont you think it will bend a bit and gives slight offsets. I thought to use two clamps..
Mike

More
22 Jul 2020 11:02 #175385 by rodw
I only use a similar single clamp but there is no way it will move as its a precision fit even before the clamp is tightened. The biggest issue I found was avoiding any wobble from the magnetic breakaway.

More
22 Jul 2020 14:28 #175397 by dvn4life1972
The clamp on mine is very good as well. The magnets are very strong, without the torch mounted it's a real struggle to get the mount to break free. With the machine torch on it the leverage from the length would make it release a bit easier.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.271 seconds