1.2m x 0.6m plasma, <£2k questions!:

More
05 Jun 2020 09:46 #170224 by WinstonTodge
I know Dubbo! Had a mate who moved out that way from Bowral (where I was for a while). That area of Aus has the best bush walking... Love it.

Looking at single HGR20s on the X and Y I think at the moment.

What's the advantage of round rails like the SBRs Tommy suggested over square section rails?

C.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2020 09:55 #170227 by Clive S

WinstonTodge wrote
1.2m x 0.6m plasma, <£2k questions!: was created by WinstonTodge
Apologies for the beginner questions, but I'm speccing up a small 1.2m by 0.6m plasma table for ~£2k at the moment, and have a few questions after reading the (excellent) primer, watching all of the cymbal YouTube , watching the Making Stuff series on it and the 'Everything in One Place' thread by Tommylight...

My current plan is

A relatively cost effetive plasma (pilot arc start) off of ebay/amazon
LinuxCNC (OBVIOUSLY!)
Mesa 7i96
15mm linear rails
50 x 50mm TIGged steel box for the table
50mm aluminium for the gantry (possibly some nice aluminium T slot extrusion borrowed from work)
Belts not rack (cost / weight / Tommy loves them, so they must be sensible, right?)
NEMA 23s all round
Not really sure on the stepper drivers?! Or sensible sources in the UK
Ball screw on the Z
THCAD - 10

Yes he got me into this mess as well. actually both of them. Are you in the UK? If so here is a good place to buy Mesa eusurplus.com/

Some pics of my small table build. somewhere you will see the reed switch that is at the end of the PlasmaC manual for the torch on signal.

photos.app.goo.gl/aNJ4dyT46fmWJ2Jy8

More
05 Jun 2020 10:10 #170229 by thefabricator03

What's the advantage of round rails like the SBRs Tommy suggested over square section rails?

Not quite sure on the advantages but the Hiwin rail I used was easy for me to align and mount.

More
05 Jun 2020 10:16 #170230 by tommylight

Not quite sure on the advantages but the Hiwin rail I used was easy for me to align and mount.

SBR is easier to align and the dust falls off of them much easier. HGR has channels that collect dust.
And sorry for getting some of you into this, not ! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03, WinstonTodge

More
05 Jun 2020 10:50 #170233 by WinstonTodge
Fantastic resource of images Clive! Thanks for those.

Looking through them now.

And just about to place an order for a 7i96 and a THC-10 from eusurplus. :)

C.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

More
05 Jun 2020 10:55 - 05 Jun 2020 10:59 #170234 by WinstonTodge
Got the reed relay image I think. :) Are you UK based Clive?
dwa

1. Where did you source your plasma cutter from and machine torch? Looking at amazon and ebay mainly...

2. What compressor do you use? I've got a 9.5 cfm, 50 litre job, and was a little worried it wouldn't keep up !

3. Love the spanner!

Chris.

Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Jun 2020 10:59 by WinstonTodge.

More
05 Jun 2020 10:57 - 05 Jun 2020 10:57 #170235 by WinstonTodge

Are you in the UK?

Yup! South Bristol. :)

C.
Last edit: 05 Jun 2020 10:57 by WinstonTodge.

More
05 Jun 2020 11:17 #170240 by WinstonTodge
Is that a Myford Super 7 in the background? :)

More
05 Jun 2020 11:50 #170241 by tommylight
That compressor will do for about 3 to 5 seconds!
You will need a compressor that can do at least 220 to 300L/m as that is the amount of air going through the nozzle during cutting, so that will be the bare minimum.

More
05 Jun 2020 12:56 #170251 by Clive S

Got the reed relay image I think. :) Are you UK based Clive?
dwa

1. Where did you source your plasma cutter from and machine torch? Looking at amazon and ebay mainly...

2. What compressor do you use? I've got a 9.5 cfm, 50 litre job, and was a little worried it wouldn't keep up !

3. Love the spanner!

Chris.

Yes I am in the UK Marple Nr. Stockport.

Yes. it is a Myford S7 that I converted to cnc with a homemade encoder for threading a few years back.

This is the compressor I have
BURISCH Air Compressor BT350V 50L 3HP V-Twin 14.1CFM £210 and I coupled it to another 50Ltr tank I had I also run the air through a condenser made out of copper tube which works quite well. You can see the pic in the album. I also run the air through a dryer with descant crystals those that change from blue to pink. photos.app.goo.gl/TK4FBCUkVmRGX46Q7
I only do this as a hobby and on a small table it provides plenty of air.

Ah the spanner that is in PlasmaC so every body seems to cut one :) as a first test.

The Plasma came from here www.thewelderswarehouse.com/Welding-Supp...lasma-40.html#SID=12 I asked them for a machine torch instead of the hand one they suggested an 80A torch which they wired to fit the machine in total I paid around £700 with the torch. The company was good to talk to with no pressure.
The THC is fitted on the side of the machine in a metal box with two 1meg resistors one each leg. (you can see them in the pics)

The reed switch was a suggestion by Tom as I was having trouble with the arc OK signal and that cured it. In hindsight I might see if I can cure it now I know a bit more. I have a feeling the the torch-on-delay was much too long.

The 7i96 is a very nice card and easy to setup. I had quite a few boards from eusurplus being delivered in 2-3 days
mention me and they will charge you double B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: WinstonTodge

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds