RS485 For Hypertherms

More
04 Jul 2020 23:36 #173635 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic RS485 For Hypertherms

A diagram would be helpful.

More than a diagram, its actually in the docs.
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/plasma/plasma...r.html#ohmic-sensing
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2020 00:04 #173639 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic RS485 For Hypertherms

It is a bit difficult to do that in the PlasmaC docs as there are several different ways of doing it, for instance there is the way Rod linked to plus there is the another method described in the primer using the ohmic component plus there is a method that uses a separate probe that is extended etc, etc. So all PlasmaC provides is an output and an input that hopefully will allow all these different methods to work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

More
05 Jul 2020 07:05 #173646 by Clive S
Replied by Clive S on topic RS485 For Hypertherms

More than a diagram, its actually in the docs.
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/plasma/plasma...r.html#ohmic-sensing

Ah that's where it was hiding. I searched the manual and did not find it It would be nice to put a link in the main manual to the primer .

I had read the Primer when PlasmC first started but forgot it had that in it.

More
05 Jul 2020 07:15 #173648 by phillc54

It would be nice to put a link in the main manual to the primer

On the fourth line:

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/plasma/plasma...e.html#_introduction

More
05 Jul 2020 07:22 #173649 by rodw
I don't think there is any place for instructions about hardware and circuit diagrams in the plasmac software manual. It really should be in the primer.

More
05 Jul 2020 08:59 #173652 by Clive S

I don't think there is any place for instructions about hardware and circuit diagrams in the plasmac software manual. It really should be in the primer.

Sorry Rod but I can't agree with that The Primer is an introduction and not a manual and there are examples of all sorts in the manual including RS-485 connections and and ArkOK suggestions. A link around section 29 would help others looking for it.

I know that you and Phil are very active and probably can recite the manual backwards. But once you have read the primer then you progress to the manual and that for most people is the bible .

Or perhaps, there could be just one document starting with the primer then following on to the manual B)

More
05 Jul 2020 09:22 #173655 by rodw

Or perhaps, there could be just one document starting with the primer then following on to the manual B)

Don't wish that on us!

More
05 Jul 2020 21:37 - 05 Jul 2020 21:38 #173693 by Clive S

Don't wish that on us!

Just wondering what could be wrong in having the two docs amalgamated into one. The first being a preface
Last edit: 05 Jul 2020 21:38 by Clive S.

More
05 Jul 2020 22:16 #173697 by rodw
I See that there are two totally different topics. One is a background document about the plasma process with design tips to help you build your machine and how things work.

The other is a software manual. They need to be kept seperate as you don't need the background once you have built your machine. You just need to know how to use the software.

If you follow that thinking all of the RS485 setup stuff in the plasmac doc should migrate to the Primer.

I'm not saying that because I put the primer together but I am big on compartmentalising stuff. We should not be mixing hardware build with software... I don't mind if others edit the primer document if they follow those rules.

More
06 Jul 2020 02:04 #173705 by phillc54

I See that there are two totally different topics. One is a background document about the plasma process with design tips to help you build your machine and how things work.

I agree

The other is a software manual. They need to be kept seperate as you don't need the background once you have built your machine. You just need to know how to use the software.

Agreed but you also need to know how to install it. The PlasmaC manual was designed as an IOM.

If you follow that thinking all of the RS485 setup stuff in the plasmac doc should migrate to the Primer.

I disagree here, the RS485 referred to in the PlasmaC is to connect to PlasmaC, it seems odd to look in a generic background document to connect it then a IOM to use it. It belongs in the IOM

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds