RS485 For Hypertherms

More
06 Jul 2020 06:44 #173713 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic RS485 For Hypertherms
Please define IOM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2020 06:49 #173714 by Clive S
Replied by Clive S on topic RS485 For Hypertherms

Rod wrote--I'm not saying that because I put the primer together but I am big on compartmentalising stuff. We should not be mixing hardware build with software... I don't mind if others edit the primer document if they follow those rules.

OK But lets say putting a link in the Linuxcnc docs 2.8

User Interfaces

Axis, Keyboard GUI
Gmoccapy, Touchscreen GUI hu(Magyar)
Touchy, Touchscreen GUI
Gscreen, Customizable Touchscreen GUI
SilverDraon, Customizable QT based GUI
NGCGUI, Subroutine GUI
TkLinuxCNC, (no opengl) GUI
PlasmaC, -CNC-primer an introduction
PlasmaC, A Complete Plasma Cutting Configuration

Would make it much easier to find. As to get to it from a new users point of view is difficult.

Just my $0.2 worth.:)

More
06 Jul 2020 06:51 - 06 Jul 2020 06:51 #173715 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic RS485 For Hypertherms

Please define IOM

Installation and Operation Manual
Last edit: 06 Jul 2020 06:51 by phillc54. Reason: brain fade

More
06 Jul 2020 06:52 - 06 Jul 2020 06:53 #173716 by phillc54

Rod wrote--I'm not saying that because I put the primer together but I am big on compartmentalising stuff. We should not be mixing hardware build with software... I don't mind if others edit the primer document if they follow those rules.

OK But lets say putting a link in the Linuxcnc docs 2.8

User Interfaces

Axis, Keyboard GUI
Gmoccapy, Touchscreen GUI hu(Magyar)
Touchy, Touchscreen GUI
Gscreen, Customizable Touchscreen GUI
SilverDraon, Customizable QT based GUI
NGCGUI, Subroutine GUI
TkLinuxCNC, (no opengl) GUI
PlasmaC, -CNC-primer an introduction
PlasmaC, A Complete Plasma Cutting Configuration

Would make it much easier to find. As to get to it from a new users point of view is difficult.

Just my $0.2 worth.:)

There is a link to the Primer in General User Information as well as at the beginning of the PlasmaC manual.
Last edit: 06 Jul 2020 06:53 by phillc54.

More
06 Jul 2020 06:55 #173717 by Clive S

There is a link to the Primer in General User Information

I know on line 4

I give up B)

More
06 Jul 2020 07:10 #173719 by phillc54

I know on line 4

No, line 4 is the link in the PlasmaC manual.
The other link I was referring to is in "General User Information" on the docs main page.
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/

More
06 Jul 2020 07:15 - 06 Jul 2020 07:16 #173720 by rodw
Roll back to the beginning, it was Andy who suggested we write the primer as a guide for plasma similar to the lathe information doc. I gathered a lot of information and ideas from users and compiled the document which Phill published. Then after it was written, there were concerns that there was nowhere in the docs to put it so it ended up in its current location in the main menu.

I think life would be much easier if the community would agree to putting a separate top level heading for Plasma machines so both the IOM (new term for me) and the Primer and other docs that may come about.. It might be better to split the primer up into two different docs (An introduction to CNC Plasma Cutting and a Constructors guide.) Lets face it, there is not one class of machine or linuxcnc configuration as well documented as Plasma and Plasmac are. It does not sit well with the current document structure of Linuxcnc.

Maybe Phill can raise that with the powers that be.
Last edit: 06 Jul 2020 07:16 by rodw.

More
06 Jul 2020 07:20 #173721 by phillc54
When I first proposed the PlasmaC documentation I did suggest a separate Plasma section but it was pointed out to me that there were no specific machine sections (mill, lathe, edm, foam cutter etc) so the place for it was User Interfaces...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

More
06 Jul 2020 07:48 #173723 by Clive S

When I first proposed the PlasmaC documentation I did suggest a separate Plasma section but it was pointed out to me that there were no specific machine sections (mill, lathe, edm, foam cutter etc) so the place for it was User Interfaces...

OK. Please note I am in no way knocking anybody re the above and am very grateful to Phill and Rod plus other that has made it possible for me to build a plasma in the first place with all the info (almost in one place:) ) easy to read.

I do only see two links to the Primer one the the manual and the other under PlasmaC forum.linuxcnc.org/plasmac/37234-plasmac-documentation.

This has gone completely off topic and Tom might be shouting at us and moving it elsewhere :laugh:

So I had better get back in my box.

More
06 Jul 2020 07:52 #173724 by rodw
Maybe its time to reconsider that decision. Plasma is by far and away the most popular machine being discussed on the forum. Maybe we just attract the noisy members...

Lets face it, Linuxcnc is focused on milling machines, lathe configs are few and far between so never well supported from what I've read and its great to see the QTYVCP guys are working hard on that deficiency.

So plasma is so much more scientific and demanding than subtractive machining so maybe it deserves to be treated differently!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S, thefabricator03

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds