Powermax 45xp lost arc delay (Solved)

More
18 Feb 2021 00:12 #199208 by tommylight

Thank you for the kind words Tommy!

You are welcomed, always.
All of you are welcomed, always, be it on this forum or in real life.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, snowgoer540

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2021 04:31 #199217 by Nick7251

Yes, there seem to be words attributed to folk that were not said (or written)...

So @Nick7251 have you managed to get your machine working after all this waffle?

So I went out and froze my butt off to do some testing. I first wanted to duplicate the error, but it wouldn't error frequent enough tonight to even take a video. The three times it did error on me were seamingly completely random events. Then I switched from fine cut consumables to regular ones and I couldn't get it to error after that. I'm not saying the consumables have anything to do with it, but... Do they? Haha.

My only thought is maybe with the fine cut consumables the air pressure would be different, but I quickly brushed that thought aside.

Anyways I don't feel it is fixed. It is just hiding in the shadows and will rear it's ugly head again when I'm cutting something important.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
18 Feb 2021 08:42 #199224 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Powermax 45xp lost arc delay
Dont brush the air pressure thought away too far! I have heard that finecut consumables are fussier. Air pressure is critical as is clean dry air.
Its possible you are a bit off with pressure and air flow and the finecuts bring it to the fore.
Jim Colt from Hypertherm recommends installing a pressure gauge right at the air inlet.
Here is a video from him.

I think Nicks comments reinforce that there are many parameters to get right to build a good reliable table.

What thc delay are you using now?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nick7251

More
18 Feb 2021 12:17 #199242 by snowgoer540

Yes, there seem to be words attributed to folk that were not said (or written)...

So @Nick7251 have you managed to get your machine working after all this waffle?

So I went out and froze my butt off to do some testing. I first wanted to duplicate the error, but it wouldn't error frequent enough tonight to even take a video. The three times it did error on me were seamingly completely random events. Then I switched from fine cut consumables to regular ones and I couldn't get it to error after that. I'm not saying the consumables have anything to do with it, but... Do they? Haha.

Yes! I forgot this part of when I was having problems. Fine cuts were much less reliable than regular cuts, but eventually they both became unreliable. At that time, I personally had not discovered the ground clamp proximity thing. So it would be hard for me to totally blame it on the consumables, but I do remember this now that you mention it.

Anyways I don't feel it is fixed. It is just hiding in the shadows and will rear it's ugly head again when I'm cutting something important.

I think in all of the other stuff I am missed what you changed? The last post I remember from you had said "I think there is a mechanical relay in my future". Were you able to put that on yet?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nick7251

More
18 Feb 2021 12:20 #199243 by snowgoer540
Also, for whoever is keeping the data points, I measured the amperage through my torch on circuit for a Powermax 65.

I measured mine during a torch pulse since that's where I saw my issues. So not apples to oranges with Robert, I think he was cutting. But I measured 13mA.

More
18 Feb 2021 15:17 #199269 by Nick7251

Dont brush the air pressure thought away too far! I have heard that finecut consumables are fussier. Air pressure is critical as is clean dry air.
Its possible you are a bit off with pressure and air flow and the finecuts bring it to the fore.
Jim Colt from Hypertherm recommends installing a pressure gauge right at the air inlet.
Here is a video from him.

I think Nicks comments reinforce that there are many parameters to get right to build a good reliable table.

What thc delay are you using now?

Do you think air flow would cause the arch to come out at an angle too? I don't want to side rail this conversation to deal with my beveled cuts, but I think maybe airflow could be the main problem for all my issues. If the air flow isn't just right, the machine won't fire the torch, and I could be getting my warning. Or if it is good enough the machine will fire, but then I don't get a strong straight arc.

I know based on other forums and research that others had issue with the arc coming out on an angle because their o-rings weren't greased. So I have already greased mine. I think I will dig into if my filters are too restrictive. I have 3 in-line filters right now. The stock on that comes built into the PM45xp. A Hypertherm filter right behind that one, and a cheap filter that I used with my old system up stream. I am guess the cheap filter is the cultrate.

More
18 Feb 2021 15:58 #199280 by tommylight
Air pressure should be 5 to 5.5 Bar for normal plasma, 7 to 8 for bigger industrial ones.
Air pressure can cause lost arcs, failed starts, failed cuts, uneven cutting. Beveled cuts are normal for plasma, but how much beveled is another topic for discussion. On thin materials 3 to 4mm should not be visible. That also depends a lot on the torch and consumables and the angle the torch is on in relation to material.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
18 Feb 2021 16:03 - 18 Feb 2021 16:08 #199281 by snowgoer540
EDIT: Had written too many words with too many rabbit holes.

If you'd like you can shoot me an email, I'd be happy to mail you a relay to try. If it works, you can keep it. If it doesn't, you can keep it.

Hopefully you get her goin' soon, good luck!
Last edit: 18 Feb 2021 16:08 by snowgoer540.

More
18 Feb 2021 16:29 #199286 by Nick7251
Yup, I am aware of the "normal" bevel amount. My old Chinese plasma cutter with a Plasmadyn machine torch cut better than this expensive Hypertherm is. Shouldn't be that way as I know the Hypertherm is a way better cutter. So I am thinking my air is likely to blame. I will be trying that next. Unfortunately heading out of town for the weekend so I won't get to try anything until next week.

When cutting with the Fine cut consumables I can see the arc physically coming out of the torch on an angle when I Pulse it. that isn't good. Also with the normal consumables it gives me a bevel, and I can move what edge it bevels on by rotating the torch 90°. However my torch has been verified is being perpendicular.to the material in both the X and Y direction So there is something off with the arc. Feeling like it is airflow. My compressor is capable of supplying enough air, so it is likely a restriction like my filter along the way.

More
18 Feb 2021 16:32 #199290 by Nick7251

EDIT: Had written too many words with too many rabbit holes.

If you'd like you can shoot me an email, I'd be happy to mail you a relay to try. If it works, you can keep it. If it doesn't, you can keep it.

Hopefully you get her goin' soon, good luck!

Wow, thank you. That is very kind. I looked at your profile for an email, but it isn't listed. I don't see a PM feature on this forum either. I'm probably missing something. I requested to "connect" with you. Maybe that is the ticket to this. I'd be happy to send you some money for postage and the relay.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds