Homemade, cheap, plasma CNC

More
05 Aug 2021 13:28 - 05 Aug 2021 15:05 #216979 by snowgoer540

I would not rush into QTplasmac until the dust settles after the move to Python3. I think have QTplasmac sorted but I'm not in love with it. It is very sluggish on my hardware

Perhaps it's not in love with you either...

I've not heard anyone else refer to it as "sluggish". Runs fine on everything I have it on, including the Virtual Machines I have set up. All on Python3 and cover Mint, Buster, and MX Linux.

I'd posit that there's an issue with your recently installed OS/dependencies that is to blame, and not QtPlasmaC.
Last edit: 05 Aug 2021 15:05 by snowgoer540.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2021 20:34 #217007 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Homemade, cheap, plasma CNC

I would not rush into QTplasmac until the dust settles after the move to Python3. I think have QTplasmac sorted but I'm not in love with it. It is very sluggish on my hardware

Perhaps it's not in love with you either...

I've not heard anyone else refer to it as "sluggish". Runs fine on everything I have it on, including the Virtual Machines I have set up. All on Python3 and cover Mint, Buster, and MX Linux.

I'd posit that there's an issue with your recently installed OS/dependencies that is to blame, and not QtPlasmaC.

Yeh dunno. It seems OK on my Chromebook running a Sim. The chromebook is not PREEMPT_RT. On the table I'm running on a Celeron J1900 with 4Gb (similar to the brix  Phil mentioned). Latency is better than my old J1900 Brix. I'm running Mint 19.3. I've done so much installing recently but I don't think the current environment is broken. I tried hard to do a deb install on MX Linux and Mint and just could not get either working so I am running a RIP install using your list of dependencies. Thats OK as RIP is all I have ever used in the past.

Upgrading to the latest Python3 version of V2.9 on my chromebook took me back to a dependency nightmare as quite a number of new dependencies were required even to open Axis. A lot weren't caught in the build process.  I don't think James needs that pain right now

But on the table QT seems like its running in treacle. You can't use the GUI buttons to stop the machine as they are not responsive enough which is my real concern so I reach for a hardware estop. There seems to be plenty of RAM when I run top.

I'm quite plasma time poor right now. My sales have gone through the roof, my supply chain is broken due to covid and I'm making parts I've never made for years becasue of shipping delays. I've even thought of buying a CNC lathe but I really need an 80mm spindle just to machine plastic so its not an entry level machine.

I'll have another look when I get time.

More
06 Aug 2021 02:11 #217019 by phillc54
What desktop are you running on Mint 19.3?

More
06 Aug 2021 03:56 #217022 by rodw
I think I went with xfce this time. I can never remember seeing any difference between desktops.

More
06 Aug 2021 08:19 - 06 Aug 2021 08:22 #217032 by phillc54
I just tried to run up a VM with Mint, I gave up after finding that it is necessary to drag in dependencies from all over the shop.

I now think the reason you had trouble with MX is because you selected the AHS version. I just had an attempt at running that up and it seems to have a restricted repository list similar to Mint, I gave up on that as well.

With the standard MX version everything required is in the stock repositories or linuxcnc provides.

As a test I did another standard MX install today on a VM, first with the a buildbot package which worked first attempt and then with a rip install which also worked first attempt.
Last edit: 06 Aug 2021 08:22 by phillc54.

More
06 Aug 2021 09:01 #217033 by rodw
I might give MX another run. Its coming back to me now though. I was getting flaky WiFi with it...

More
06 Aug 2021 09:59 #217036 by phillc54
Hold off for a bit, I may have installed standard 19.3 today from an existing download, my memory is so bad I can't remember.

Tomorrow I will try standard 19.4 to make sure I am not misleading you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
06 Aug 2021 10:08 - 06 Aug 2021 10:09 #217037 by snowgoer540
Plus I am planning to create a "click by click" .pdf guide for someone else covering whatever version Phill ends up recommending tomorrow sometime.  I'm happy to share when it's done.
Last edit: 06 Aug 2021 10:09 by snowgoer540. Reason: English is hard at 6am ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Clive S

More
06 Aug 2021 10:14 #217038 by tommylight
Mint does not have 19.4 !
And i agree with RodW, QtPlasmaC is very slugish on 4GB of ram to the point jogging is useless for precise positioning of the torch, but with 8GB on the same PC it works like a charm.
All of that is understandable as i use Mint with Mate DE that is heavy on resources by itself, adding to that all the Qt cr@p just makes it worse.
Still it looks very nice and is a joy to use and has a ton of features that will put big boys to shame.
Personally i would have stuck with Axis and do a modern layout, but not sure how much trouble would that be. Axis works on a Pentium  3 or 2 or 1 although never tried on a 1! :)
BTW, i did try to change colors on QtPlasmaC, ended up somewhere between terrible and disgusting, so i reverted back to yelow, just LED's are blue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
06 Aug 2021 10:22 #217039 by rodw

Hold off for a bit, I may have installed standard 19.3 today from an existing download, my memory is so bad I can't remember.

Tommy has mint 19.3 covered and its not any harder than MX Linux.
The latest Python 3 upgrade has added heaps more dependencies and I think a lot are to do with QT.

Based on what Tommy shared, I might go looking for some more RAM once we get out of lockdown...

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds