Developments on my Home built 5C CNC Lathe - new spindle and progress on the ATC

More
05 Oct 2021 06:01 #222249 by NoJo
Thank You for that. I will do the update in the coming days - just still testing our kinematics approach and don't want to disrupt the momentum just yet! We have created our own 'switch-kins' - defined our own pins, etc and it works fine ( or seems to..)  - not the long term solution perhaps, but does the job for now.

Battling with the concepts that follow the switch though - since the previous moves were in cartesian , when we do the switch - G12.1 - we need to transpose the last 'xy' position to the same position, but in the polar domain...That's where our joint following errors are coming from right now, so doing more digging in the linux docs, etc! Battling with the concepts of managing the machine coordinate 0,0,0 versus workpiece coordinate 0,0,0, together with tool offsets, etc!
Quite a challenge this lot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Oct 2021 20:10 #222867 by NoJo
Ok, Time to up to Master.. We have the Polar modes working very well - I have a flat sheet of aluminium on the end of a shaft, in the chuck, and glued some paper to the sheet, with a spring-loaded pen in the ATC, and am drawing very nicely machined squares, hexagon, etc on said paper!
So G12.1, the polar interpretation ( of a g-code file generated by e_Cam as well as Kentech's conversational cam) all works very well, with our own 'switchkins' in Lcnc 2.8.2...until the G13.1..
Maintaining the machine state after G13.1 as it was before the G12.1 is however not simple in 2.8, and maybe even not possible without excessive trickery - The 2.9  + its switchkins permits access to some parameter that appears not possible in 2.8.

So I will try to do the 2.9 upgrade tomorrow - process seems rather complicated! Will post when I have succeeded ( or not..)

More
12 Oct 2021 06:20 - 12 Oct 2021 07:01 #222900 by NoJo
Foiled at the start -

When tying to do as indicated in the Linuxcnc Buildbot page - to get the signing key it fails, or so it seems -
$ sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keys.openpgp.org --recv-key EF1B07FEE0EE663E
[sudo] password for jono:
Executing: /tmp/apt-key-gpghome.nYGipTBIfn/gpg.1.sh --keyserver keys.openpgp.org --recv-key EF1B07FEE0EE663E
gpg: key EF1B07FEE0EE663E: "LinuxCNC Buildbot <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>" not changed
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:              unchanged: 1

I tried port 80 as stated, as well -
$ sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keys.openpgp.org:80 --recv-key EF1B07FEE0EE663E
Executing: /tmp/apt-key-gpghome.QJYklkGmF4/gpg.1.sh --keyserver hkp://keys.openpgp.org:80 --recv-key EF1B07FEE0EE663E
gpg: key EF1B07FEE0EE663E: "LinuxCNC Buildbot <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>" not changed
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:              unchanged: 1

Searching the forums I found where Andy says he ignored the key and that the install still seemed to work, so I ignored and followed exactly the instructions in the Buildbot page - remove all references to the previous 2.8 install , added the two deb and deb_src items, did a RELOAD and the available (new) packages are shown. When marking for installation I get this :

linuxcnc-uspace:
 Depends: python3-tk  but it is not installable
 Depends: python3-numpy  but it is not installable
 Depends: python3-pil  but it is not installable
 Depends: python3-pil.imagetk  but it is not installable
 Depends: libgtksourceview-3.0-dev  but it is not installable
 Depends: python3-xlib  but it is not installable
 Depends: python3-cairo  but it is not installable
 Depends: python3-gi-cairo  but it is not installable
 Depends: python3-opengl  but it is not installable
 Depends: python3-configobj  but it is not installable
 Recommends: python3-pyqt5.qsci  but it is not installable
 Recommends: python3-pyqt5.qtopengl  but it is not installable
 Recommends: python3-pyqt5.qtsvg  but it is not installable
 Recommends: python3-pyqt5.qtwebkit  but it is not installable
 Recommends: python3-opencv  but it is not installable
 Recommends: librsvg2-dev  but it is not installable
 Recommends: python3-dbus.mainloop.pyqt5  but it is not installable
 Recommends: python3-espeak  but it is not installable

AND

linuxcnc-uspace-dev:
 Depends: python3-serial  but it is not installable
 Depends: linuxcnc-uspace but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: python3-yapps  but it is not installable

A Bumpy Road...

Last edit: 12 Oct 2021 07:01 by NoJo.

More
12 Oct 2021 07:07 #222901 by rodw
What OS are you running? I had this exact same problem with Mint 19.3 becasue it had Python 3.6 and linuxcnc wants 3.7.
My solution was to install Debian Bullseye and compile the source code. That way the key is not required. But I did find a key server that worked..

More
12 Oct 2021 07:53 #222903 by NoJo
I am on Debian 10, Linuxcnc 2.8, Python2.x
The vanilla instructions on Buildbot just don't work...
Googling shows nothing useful or pertinent, etc..

More
12 Oct 2021 09:14 #222909 by rider-83
Be careful with 2.9

I encountered nothing but issues from the begining. Might be a good idea to swap the hard drive just to get 2.9 up and running. Don't do what happened to me were I had to abandon all my work and go back to 2.8.2.
As mentioned in the notes. Its only a development version.
Please tread carefully. Just a bit of advice from experiance. The warnings were there but I chose to ignore them because of some of the tasty new features in 2.9

More
12 Oct 2021 09:41 #222913 by NoJo
Thanks for the info - I have little choice as I need Switchkins to be able to implement my Polar mode kinetics. Seems Aciera, maybe Andy, etc are using 2.9, so should not be so bad...The issue is just How_To_Install_2.9 ! I have tried the BuildBot.org instructions, to the letter, googled and found only 2 'instructional' videos, one circa 2019, neither work, found some other 'instructions' reference different build source locations to the buildbot instructions, etc -

I have no problem re-installing willy nilly - this lathe is complex and so re-doing Lcnc to get it to work, etc, is small change...
My issues are not with Ver2.9, but with installing 2.9..

Would be nice if there was an install procedure that was current, and even better if it worked!

More
12 Oct 2021 11:23 #222919 by rider-83
They way I installed 2.9 was by updating from 2.8.
I had to change the details in the Synaptic repository list, but in fact that side of things worked OK for me. (I kept notes if that may be usefull)
There were a number of dependencies missing that caused a few issues and had to be loaded manually.

For me every thing worked fine and I had ver 2.9 working on my lathe and was happy.
The problems started when I need the pin 'missing-teeth' and I did an update to the latest revision of 2.9. After that none of the latest GUI's would re-size to my monitor and no matter what I did I was left with a lathe I couldn't use, hence reluctantly switching back to 2.8.2
I can send you my notes when I get home if that is of any use to you?

More
12 Oct 2021 11:35 #222923 by 0x2102
Try this:

Terminal:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install dirmngr
sudo apt-get install software-properties-common

LinuxCNC Master (2.9):
sudo add-apt-repository "deb buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ buster master-rtpreempt"
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install linuxcnc-uspace
sudo apt-get install linuxcnc-uspace-dev

More
12 Oct 2021 11:35 #222924 by NoJo
I would appreciate very much if you would send those notes. Thank You.
I did try the route via Synaptic Repository - I did post the results a few posts ago - lots of issues re Python3 and many things 'not installable' This was when I followed Aciera's instructions and the instructions of Buildbot.
Thanks Again!

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds