U axis configuration

More
28 Sep 2011 05:10 #13485 by captain chaos
How do I go about configuring an U axis to drive in tandem with the X axis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Sep 2011 09:54 #13490 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Re:U axis configuration
Have you looked here for some ideas?
www.linuxcnc.org/component/option,com_ku...id,8888/lang,french/

Rick G

More
28 Sep 2011 12:17 #13498 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:U axis configuration
captain chaos wrote:

How do I go about configuring an U axis to drive in tandem with the X axis.

Is it a true U axis, or a second motor on the X axis?

The trivial answer to your question is that to make the U axis move in tandem with X, you use G-code like G1 X10 U10.
However, that is such a trivial answer that I suspect that isn't really your question.

I am guessing that you have a gantry machine with two motors on one axis? There are two ways to control that, depending on whether you want a separate home switch for each side to give you auto-squaring or not.

More
28 Sep 2011 22:54 #13532 by captain chaos
Thanks Rick I went right past the gantry router which I used with the g540 three axis version of my gantry router and started messing with modifying a 5 axis ie. six axis set up. As can be imagined I got into all sorts of trouble, so will revisit the gantry set up thanks.

To answer Andy's question, a gantry router with two motors driving the x axis preferably not slaved so the motors can be tuned separately for homing, backlash etc.

More
28 Sep 2011 22:59 #13533 by captain chaos
PS. I really wouldn't want to have to write it into the G-code

More
30 Sep 2011 10:30 #13547 by andypugh
captain chaos wrote:

To answer Andy's question, a gantry router with two motors driving the x axis preferably not slaved so the motors can be tuned separately for homing, backlash etc.

In that case, Gantrykins is probably the answer.

There is a gantry config in the sample configs, but it isn't terribly friendly (it needs work even to get it off the limit switches, for example).
I think Seb created a more friendly sim version, but it isn't in the released version yet.

More
30 Sep 2011 12:44 #13552 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:U axis configuration
There is a simple gantry config in 2.5 and you can find it here .

John

More
08 Oct 2011 10:14 #13779 by captain chaos
Thanks for that, I haven't got round to it yet but will certainly give it a go.

More
22 Oct 2011 22:37 #14109 by captain chaos
Sorry this may seem a silly question but I am very new to Linux, I had a problem with Mac3 I found EMC2 made a CD did an xyz Gecko 540 stepper config wizard and away I went I was most impressed. So Impressed I decided after running a G code file of about five thousand lines and two hours running that my home made gantry router had to be re built and up specked.

I have have copied the files for gantry but don't know how to upgrade to 2.5 I have 2.4.3. I tried making a new CD but come up with the problem of having a file "etc/apt/sources.list.d" and no "/emc2-buildbot.list:" extension. do I simply add a folder and name it that, create a document of that name or is it an executable file i need to import.

Thanks again

More
22 Oct 2011 22:48 #14110 by andypugh
captain chaos wrote:

I have have copied the files for gantry but don't know how to upgrade to 2.5 I have 2.4.3.

You don't need 2.5 to run that configuration.

Just put all those files in a folder in your home/emc2/configs/ directory (for example, in home/emc2/configs/gantry ) and you should be able to start it from the menu

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds