U axis configuration

More
24 Nov 2011 10:34 #15077 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:U axis configuration
captain chaos wrote:

[MAX_VELOCITY = 81.4285714286...... this was generated by step config for "Gecko 540" with a 100mm input (TRAJ) I guess

Seems rather random, perhaps "80" would look neater.

MAX_ACCELLERATION = 30.............. this seemed a bit low and uped it to 150 with improvement and 300 even better
STEPGEN_MAXACCEL = 37.5........... same here 185 with above and then 375 ditto with improvement

You need STEPGEN_MAXACCELL to be about 10% higher than MAX_ACCELLERATION. 300/330 seems reasonable.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Nov 2011 10:38 #15078 by captain chaos
I can still run "AXIS Splash G Code" program without a hitch (just the set up is a pain. Thanks again for all your help and I really hope you manage to sort out site hacking problem without too much trouble it is a real shame when someone sets out to destroy such a good service.

More
24 Nov 2011 11:38 #15080 by andypugh
captain chaos wrote:

With these higher values I can now Jog in "WORLD" mode (continuous) but get a following error when I stop

This _might_ be because the base period is too long for the step rate. The f-error limit is higher at high speed, so perhaps you are running at (say) 0.5mm f-error, and that is fine until you slow down.

How many step per second are you asking for at max velocity? How does this compare to the base period? The only cause of a following error in a stepper system is if the stepgen reports back that it has failed to make all the steps.

Does your HAL file have "reset" active on the step pins, and a step-space of zero (this activates what used to be called "Doublestep" and allows one step pulse per base period, rather than on during one base period, then off during the next.

More
24 Nov 2011 21:38 #15088 by captain chaos
Hi Andy thanks again for your assistance.

I have ferror of 1

I have 2666 steps or 26660 micro steps and Base period is 35000

My HAL file has "reset" active on the step pins, and a step-space of zero, is this good or bad i don't quite understand the question? I take it double stepping is good.

More
25 Nov 2011 14:09 #15091 by andypugh
captain chaos wrote:

I have 2666 steps or 26660 micro steps and Base period is 35000

I am sorry, but I don't really understand your numbers.
26660 steps per inch? per mm? per minute? per second?

35000nS (or 35uS, to use sensible units) is 28.6kHz max step rate. If you have 26660 steps per inch and a 60inch/min rapid speed (or, 1" per second) then you are getting _very_ close to the limits. However, that rather depends on what your numbers were.

My HAL file has "reset" active on the step pins, and a step-space of zero, is this good.

That's good.

More
25 Nov 2011 22:11 #15094 by captain chaos
Sorry Rick I should have been a bit clearer.

That is 26660 steps per second

2000 thousand steps per revelation > 6mm travel per rev > 80mm/sec max velocity

This should give me 333 steps per mm or

26660 steps in 80mm = 4800mm/min which would be 192" per min so this looks like I am aiming way too high?

More
26 Nov 2011 01:42 #15097 by andypugh
captain chaos wrote:

That is 26660 steps per second
this looks like I am aiming way too high?

For software step generation, yes.

There is a more subtle effect at play here. You have a system that can manage 28kHz step rate. What is the next slowest that the motors can spin? The answer is 14kHz, 2 base-periods per step. This means that your system is probably alternately doubling and halving the speed of the motor. And that simply isn't possible.

Now, the software has no idea what the motors are doing, there is no feedback, but the step generator might well be getting in a bit of a mess with the doubling and halving of step rate every mS (servo thread time), because that exceeds the stepgen accell limits.

One very simple thing to try is reducing the microstepping factor. 4x microstepping is as much as you can really expect to do accurate positioning. My opinion is that any more is a gimmick (though that is opinion, not experimentally validated fact).

You could also consider swapping to hardware step generation. Pico, Mesa, Pluto, Motenc and others all make suitable hardware. Though calling Pluto "suitable" might be stretching a point. Those offer MHz step rates, which are no practical use, but do mean that you have very small "granularity" at 10kHz step rate.

More
26 Nov 2011 07:06 #15099 by captain chaos
Thanks Andy that's real good.

I'm afraid I must admit a lot of this is a bit over my head but I can sort of see that. I didn't think 80mm a second was overly fast for a router but most probably about at the top of where you would want to be on a mill. My machine, being a router, doesn't need to be nearly as accurate as a mill so I can certainly sacrifice a chunk of accuracy for a bit more speed. This most probably also explains why I get a bit of reverse direction adjustment when the jog comes to a stop.

I only need an accuracy of 0.5mm or so, so I could maybe go for 2x micro stepping and get the speed up a bit and improve the smoothness of operation.

I am only just starting to get an Idea of what I can achieve and really don't want to change hardware until I have a fundamental understanding of what is actually going on.

Cheers

More
28 Nov 2011 02:30 #15155 by captain chaos
Hi Andy still can't jog even with no micro stepping much faster than about 600 mm per min. You suggested

"You could also consider swapping to hardware step generation. Pico, Mesa, Pluto, Motenc and others all make suitable hardware. Though calling Pluto "suitable" might be stretching a point. Those offer MHz step rates, which are no practical use, but do mean that you have very small "granularity" at 10kHz step rate."

And Big John T made the comment in #9009

"The 540 is a pint sized 203v and both are fixed at 10x".

Is he saying that it is fixed at 10 micro steps which is why I still cant get it moving reasonably without following joint errors?

More
28 Nov 2011 13:21 #15163 by andypugh
captain chaos wrote:

And Big John T made the comment in #9009
"The 540 is a pint sized 203v and both are fixed at 10x".
Is he saying that it is fixed at 10 micro steps which is why I still cant get it moving reasonably without following joint errors?

That sounds to be what he is saying, but you seemed to say that you have been changing the microstepping. Where were you changing it?

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds