Retrofitting a TOS FNG 32 NC

More
11 Aug 2022 19:05 #249542 by Kevin_Pawlus
Hi,
I have been cutting some chips with this machine since last week, maybe 10-15 hours or so and now the servo drives won't start.
I have meassured that all enable signals is ok. Usually the first time I try to start it looks correct with the last digit on the DRO is flickering and I can hear a special humming sound from the drives that always have been there. But immediately when I try to jog the machine I will get Joint follow error. One time I could jog one axis 20cm, and when I tried the next one it was dead. 

After I have got the Joint follow error and I reset the machine I can't hear that humming sound that normally appears when the machine is enabled. 

The servo motors XY usually get quite hot so I only run the machine for 1 hour normally and let everything cool down. 

Spindle is fine.

/Kevin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2022 21:02 #249554 by tommylight

The servo motors XY usually get quite hot so I only run the machine f

Usually there are two reasons for the heat:
1.to much of P gain causing servos to constantly hunt back and forth
2.dust from the brushes inside the motor/commutator, if using brushed motors.

More
11 Aug 2022 21:19 #249555 by Kevin_Pawlus
P = 4 & 5
If I get the drives to work again I will try and lower that. They work good, very smooth and all just gets really warm so I let them cool after every hour of milling.
Not sure if this is related to my drives not feeling ok, but possibly.

I'm not sure what kind of motors I have. I will need to look that up, worst case I need to buy new servo drivers...

More
12 Aug 2022 02:25 #249570 by Henk
Replied by Henk on topic Retrofitting a TOS FNG 32 NC
When the drives stop, are there any LED,s that lights up?

More
12 Aug 2022 06:46 #249576 by Kevin_Pawlus
No, no LEDs,

I tried again this morning to jog only Y & Z and it works like it should. When I try X everything dies.
X-motor was quite hot yesterday. I will meassure to see if I have short circuit first. I will also try swap the drives, Y for X and see if I can locate the problem.
Axis moves fine when I turn it by hand.

More
12 Aug 2022 20:54 #249622 by Kevin_Pawlus
After troubleshooting the machine is finally running again. I started with the electronics and concluded that all drives was still working. Eventually I understood that the motor was causing the problems, it was completely stuck. I did not notice this at first because of a mechanism that let you turn the ballscrew from the outside. 

I removed the motor and took it apart only to find that my servomotors had breaks in them! I had no idea about this so I never plugged them in. I can’t even find them in the drawings. I knew that some servo motors have breaks in them but I thought mine was without.

This is most certainly the reason my motors got so hot before, I didn’t thought it would be possible to run the machine with the breaks engaged.

I'm glad it’s working again and I actually feel quite sorry for my milling machine this time. 

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
24 Sep 2022 13:01 #252658 by palmac
Replied by palmac on topic Retrofitting a TOS FNG 32 NC
Hi I'm following this thread with interest as I have Kasuga milling machine with Heidenhain 355 Control that I'd also like to retro fit with LinuxCNC and Messa cards.

My machine is a similar configuration but with a simple 2 speed spindle gearbox with no spindle encoder, no ATC. Servos are Yaskawa AC with CACR drives. I intend to use most the original machine, drives, servos, relays, Heidenhain glass scales, contactors, relays etc.

Please keep this thread updated on your progress and how you are fairing.

The support on this forum is amazing!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kevin_Pawlus

More
28 Jan 2023 18:34 #263104 by Kevin_Pawlus
Hi again guys!

I've been using this machine a couple of times every week for the last 6 months, and i've been really satisfied with how it works. It just runs and runs with no issuse until now. 

I believe that the reason for the machine to fail is because of rain/moisture in my workshop. Its not a heated place so I get a lot of moisture inside now in the winter. The computer broke down, so i have replaced it with a new one and also built a cabinet for the pc to prevent this in the future. I manage to save the hdd and made a backup of my machine parameters. 

X,Y and spindel are all working as they should. When I try to jog Z I get the behavior you see in the vid. 
I do 3 attempts to jog Z, first really slow, then medium and last quite fast. I do get joint follow error. I have tried to lower the values in the calibrarion but it's still same. It's like it got super sensitive or something. 

//Kevin

More
28 Jan 2023 18:39 #263105 by Kevin_Pawlus
Not sure why my video didn't load but anyway here it is on Youtube.
youtube.com/shorts/aqoCS_az_js?feature=share

More
30 Jan 2023 19:56 #263268 by Kevin_Pawlus
Today I tried to swap the driver cards around and switch places on X and Y. I get the same result so I believe that the servo drives are ok... 
It's like the machine has become super sensitive or something. If I jog a little bit up the table goes +100mm and I get a joint f error. 
I'm out ideas, please help

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds