Tiny Computer with Printer port

More
09 Nov 2012 16:23 #26401 by ArcEye
And here is the pic it did not like.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2012 20:01 #26407 by BigJohnT
The current limit is 500Kb on file size... should it be larger?

John

More
10 Nov 2012 00:23 #26413 by ArcEye

The current limit is 500Kb on file size... should it be larger?

It is probably ample for most uses, this was bloated by a high res graphic.

It is more that you do not get an error message as you used to, so are no wiser as to why it failed to attach.

More
10 Nov 2012 08:18 #26423 by BigJohnT
Unfortunately I do not posses the powers to fix that...

Obi-Wan

More
25 Mar 2013 14:58 #31826 by tkamsker
Hi,
Thank you so much for your thread here ,..
I got this weekend my NCbox i have tried the actual live cd and because of your info i tried the 8.04 Live cd , Live cd works but i cant install it on the card. Interestingly if i use an usb cardreader i can install it on the card direct from the box. I use an USB Cdrom which works fine.
So my question how did you achiieve the install with the card onboard. I tried the settings as written in the thread here ,.. After spending an weekend on that my question is what do i have overlooked ? Is there an link to the iso which worked for you ? (I have similar issue on my atom box but that is another story )
So should i try 8.04 should i try 10.4 with paramters or whatever ,.. any hint would be apprechiated.
We want tp retrofit an Brdigeport 412x ! so i might have to tell something if that works
best reg
thomas

More
25 Mar 2013 16:21 #31829 by ArcEye
Hi

The answers are in the thread but there is a lot in there :P

Use 8.04, the latency is much better, if you can't install directly to a CF card in the NCBOX, install onto the card via a card reader in another machine.
Make sure that you install GRUB to the MBR of the CF card then change /boot/grub/menu.lst so that the boot device is correct (it will be the address of the card reader slot and not /dev/sda1 or whatever)

However it does not have networking support, this makes upgrading Linuxcnc difficult but not impossible.
You can either use the stock rtai kernel without networking and upgrade linuxcnc manually or install the newer rtai kernel I built which does have it.
Both options are on the link I posted
myweb.tiscali.co.uk/drahthaar/CNC/

It could all be a bit of a steep learning curve if you are new to Linux, but it is do-able, mine works fine with 2.5.1 and the custom kernel and is fully networked too.

regards

More
25 Mar 2013 17:07 #31832 by tkamsker
Hi,
Wow thats fast ,.. may i recap
I read the infos and threads especially your tiscally link because of not having the network (or i dont epect) it i loaded the files down and even burned them to a cd to be sure ;)-

I also understand the ide issue on the 8.04 so probably i made an eror with the grub ill check that
But question does it mean you start from an "normal" (non RT Kernel) 8.04 and then upgrade or did you really manage it from the live cd (which is an rt kernel ? )

I read the docu about installing on CF so i guess you did not use swap space didnt you ?

i am not new to linux i use it since almost the beginning where you had to compile what you use but getting old i try to avoid that ,..
thank you so much for your support

More
25 Mar 2013 19:15 #31837 by ArcEye

But question does it mean you start from an "normal" (non RT Kernel) 8.04 and then upgrade or did you really manage it from the live cd (which is an rt kernel ? )

No I installed the emc2 Live CD (v2.3) based on 8.04, there is no point installing Ubuntu 8.04

I read the docu about installing on CF so i guess you did not use swap space didnt you ?

No I didn't use swap space, but I did turn off the file updating (noatime) etc as per this link to extend the life of the card
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Install_To_CompactFlash

regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: tkamsker

More
26 Mar 2013 20:48 #31918 by tkamsker
Hi,
I was yesterday giving it a nother try because id like to use the box in my refurbish project.
I do not have any experience with CF cards
When the card is in the internal slot the install fails as soon as the system try to access the card it stucks mouse and keyboard is dead.
ok 2nd try i used an USB Cardreader did install 8.04 from live cd to that disk die check the grub entry (was ok )
then i set the system to boot from the USB drive that worked
So then i tried it in the internal slot it didnt
So my question is it possible that the CF Card (which i borrowed from a fried because box came without cf card ) is not compatible with the internal drive ?
How can i check that ? (its an 8gb card)
Any hint will be apprechiated-
I will now go the whole way with the usb reader
Start with live cd then use the files stage 1 then stage 2
Should i give the internal box an try inbetween the stages ? does this make sense ?
I now ordered an new cf card ,..
the story will continue ;)- thx so far thomas

More
26 Mar 2013 21:28 - 26 Mar 2013 21:29 #31922 by ArcEye
Hi

The CF card needs to be fast. They have come on a long way since they were first produced.
The one I used was 266x but you can also get 300x and faster. CF was used in preference to SD by the makers, because it is much faster.

They also need to be partitioned and formatted carefully.
The BIOS will only allow the box to boot from the first partition of the card, even though you can install linux anywhere.
So for 8GB just create a single partition.
Also use ext2 filesystem, do not try to use journaling systems, just keep it simple.

Unless your actual CF slot is U/S, quite likely the card is not suitable, especially if it is just an old camera card, strange it works from a reader though.?!

regards
Last edit: 26 Mar 2013 21:29 by ArcEye.

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds