Tiny Computer with Printer port

More
20 Jun 2013 16:06 #35833 by ArcEye

Any ideas on how to get my usb wifi adapter to work?

Not without knowing exactly which make and model it is.
Even then, a lot are pretty flaky and just don't work.

If it worked under the standard 8.04 then you don't even need the new kernel. I built that because 8.04 did not support the ethernet chip in the NCBOX.

Alternately do you have an ethernet cable you can plug in to do the transfers?

Alternately to that, download the packages required to another computer running 8.04 with apt-get install -d packagename which will download but not install.
Then copy them to the CF card and install with dpkg -i debfile.deb on the running NCBOX

At least I think that's the problem???

If you are not sure then just open the script in an editor and cut and paste the commands one by one into a terminal and execute them
You will soon see exactly where it falls over.
That is probably how I would use it anyway, rather than trusting someone else's script (even mine!)

regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: submicro

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2013 23:42 - 22 Jun 2013 02:36 #35892 by submicro
OK I brought the NCbox in the house and hard wired it to the router, in fact i'm using it to post this. :cheer: However when I ran stage2 all seemed well, I rebooted to vortex rtai and went to /usr/src. there was no build dir. so what now?
Scratch that it was a case of Id10T or user head gap error! All went well this time. I also updated to linuxCNC 2.5

P.S. my USB WiFi adapter is a NetGear N150
P.S.S Also I know this isn't the forum for this but my swap fails during boot up. I think it's slowing down the system!
submicro

Update: I ran update manager and installed 200+ updates whew!! I then installed WiFi-radar. Now Wifi-radar sees the device but i'm unable to connect. I think it may have something to do with the eth0 being connected??? Ideas?
Last edit: 22 Jun 2013 02:36 by submicro. Reason: updates

More
22 Jun 2013 03:30 #35899 by submicro
I give up for now. I'm just going to test it out without networking for now. If I like it i'll try again later...........maybe I really don't NEED networking, it's just nice to have.
Thanx Arceye

submicro

More
22 Jun 2013 03:48 #35901 by tkamsker
Hi,
i saw your post now
Did you install following the steps on arceyes homepage ?
Does the "normal" wired ethernet work ?

I would recommend using ext2 partitiion and no swap
i did have some problem with the CF cards so far.
And you really need to wait till it has written back when you switch down the system ,..
i fighted today on the ncbox with the VFD and spindle orientation but that is another story ;)-
thomas

More
22 Jun 2013 03:59 - 22 Jun 2013 06:37 #35904 by submicro
Yes I followed Arceyes instructions, and yes wired eth0 works great. just could'nt get my netgear N150 usb wifi adapter to work. Or any wifi to work.

What? explain please.

Great more problems! :S I took the NCbox back to the shop hooked it all up and I get bubkiss! No movement what so ever. Is there some setting in the BIOS i'm missing? everything is the same except i'm using the NCbox.
Last edit: 22 Jun 2013 06:37 by submicro.

More
22 Jun 2013 17:50 - 22 Jun 2013 17:52 #35914 by ArcEye

However when I ran stage2 all seemed well, I rebooted to vortex rtai and went to /usr/src. there was no build dir. so what now?

If you do not have a directory /usr/src/build then the download of linuxcnc did not happen
Either you have an old copy of the script or the tarball on the linuxcnc.org server has been updated and changed name again.
This happened to Thomas too.

What? explain please.

You do not want a journalling file system on a a CF card.
You also do not want a swap partition or to have the files being updated every time you look at them, or you will soon wear the card out.
The stage2 script optimises /etc/fstab to get the fewest possible updates through noatime

Now Wifi-radar sees the device but i'm unable to connect. I think it may have something to do with the eth0 being connected??? Ideas?

Not at present, I will look at the Netgear wifi dongle later an see if anyone has got it working with 8.04
It will not be because the ethernet is enabled, you can have both, if there is no wired connection it will use wifi, just the same as a laptop would.

Great more problems! :S I took the NCbox back to the shop hooked it all up and I get bubkiss! No movement what so ever. Is there some setting in the BIOS i'm missing? everything is the same except i'm using the NCbox.

It is probably because the NCBOX parport is at 0x278 and most PCs have theirs at 0x378, so that is probably what your config has.

I am in the process of making a disk image of a working system.

If I can do that reliably then I will just post that, I cannot support the NCBOX by trying to replicate my build of 1 year ago endlessly.
Magma has already changed and been broken as far as 2.6.30 is concerned

You will need to download the precompiled magma at www.mgware.co.uk/CNC/NCBOX/magma-precompiled.zip

Then download the sources for linuxcnc 2.5.2 and build them against the installed realtime

PM me with your email and we can take it off forum, with Atlantic time differences as well as waiting until posts are viewed, that will be quicker

regards
Last edit: 22 Jun 2013 17:52 by ArcEye.
The following user(s) said Thank You: submicro

More
22 Jun 2013 21:05 #35917 by ArcEye
Regards the Netgear N150

Looks as though it will work but only using ndiswrapper

These 3 posts on the Ubuntu forum give details
ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1447592
ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1712876
ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1145788

regards

More
22 Jun 2013 22:26 - 22 Jun 2013 22:35 #35918 by submicro

f you do not have a directory /usr/src/build then the download of linuxcnc did not happen
Either you have an old copy of the script or the tarball on the linuxcnc.org server has been updated and changed name again.
This happened to Thomas too.

I reran stage2 and got the build dir. I didn't have my terminal window large enuff for menuconfig the first time. wierd huh!

ou do not want a journalling file system on a a CF card.
You also do not want a swap partition or to have the files being updated every time you look at them, or you will soon wear the card out.
The stage2 script optimises /etc/fstab to get the fewest possible updates through noatime

I'm gonna have to start over then, since my partitions are ext3.

It is probably because the NCBOX parport is at 0x278 and most PCs have theirs at 0x378, so that is probably what your config has.

Your prob right, I'm pretty positive my config is set to 0x378.

I cannot support the NCBOX by trying to replicate my build of 1 year ago endlessly.
Magma has already changed and been broken as far as 2.6.30 is concerned

I understand, thanks for your patience.

You will need to download the precompiled magma at www.mgware.co.uk/CNC/NCBOX/magma-precompiled.zip

I already have it.

Then download the sources for linuxcnc 2.5.2 and build them against the installed realtime

Did that already.

PM me with your email and we can take it off forum, with Atlantic time differences as well as waiting until posts are viewed, that will be quicker

One pm coming up.

Submicro
Last edit: 22 Jun 2013 22:35 by submicro.

More
23 Jun 2013 21:21 #35952 by ArcEye
I don't think the PM system is working currently.

Send an email to arceye at the domain name you have been downloading from and it should get through

(I am quite close to having a tested disk image which just needs to be written to CF card for a working system)

regards

More
27 Jun 2013 00:03 - 27 Jun 2013 15:53 #36096 by ArcEye
Disk image completed

See this thread for full details and download

www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...pre-built-disk-image

regards
Last edit: 27 Jun 2013 15:53 by ArcEye.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigJohnT, tkamsker

Time to create page: 0.296 seconds