Retrofit of Precix 5x10 CNC

More
03 May 2019 17:05 #132649 by Todd Zuercher
So the axis motors are simple DC brushed types, but the motor info is really inconsequential unless you are planning to replace the servo drives. What we really need to make a recommendation for your hardware are the Part/model numbers for the servo drives/amps that power the motors.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2019 17:16 - 03 May 2019 17:18 #132650 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic Retrofit of Precix 5x10 CNC
From what I can see the drive cards are in the computer therefore you wont have access to them with linuxcnc.

If that is the case then you have to search for drives that will accommodate those dc motors, or
buy the Chinese 80ST motor/drives for 192.00 US for 750 watt ac servo's, and be done with it. those drives are step/dir or velocity/torque +-10v, and encoder out to linuxcnc.

I have used them on several machines and never had an issue other than getting the correct settings, opening the loop and closing in linuxcnc. I am in the process of buying 7 of them right now for two machines I am working on.

That paired with 5i25 7i77, and your all set. I use the commander VFD's so there is no issue there either.

Just my 2 cents....

/EDIT Well, further look, that may be just the drive box. At first glance I thought it was a computer with drive cards in it.
Last edit: 03 May 2019 17:18 by bevins.

More
03 May 2019 17:25 #132651 by Todd Zuercher
That "black box" that is the control unit isn't a computer, though it likely contains one.

Everything is packed into it, control computer, power-supply, and servo drives. But it still going to be comprised of individual components.

Your job as a retro-fitter, is to determine what you can and can't reuse.

Who knows, you may even be able to reuse the original PC motherboard. If it is suitable for Linuxcnc. I doubt the original PC to servo interface card(s) will be will be supported with Linuxcnc, but likely everything else could be reused. If you can identify what they are so that manuals describing how they are used can be dug up.

More
03 May 2019 17:27 - 03 May 2019 17:37 #132652 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Retrofit of Precix 5x10 CNC
Yeah, I think I see three drives, one with a black anodized heatsink and 2 with gold Alodine heatsinks
on the last of the photo of the large photo series.
Last edit: 03 May 2019 17:37 by PCW. Reason: heatsink color

More
03 May 2019 17:49 - 03 May 2019 18:03 #132654 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic Retrofit of Precix 5x10 CNC
You could become friends with these guys....

precixpartswarehouse.com/parts-service
and wefixprecix.com/, this guy is a member here. He worked where this machine was built. He would probably be able to steer you in the right direction.

member: linuxcnc forum member, wefixprecix
Last edit: 03 May 2019 18:03 by bevins.

More
03 May 2019 18:40 #132655 by randypetersen
Thanks for your input Todd, really appreciate it!

I know I gotta get those drives out so I can get a model number for you guys and check for compatibility.

It's be nice if I could reuse them, but if not, I can understand. It'd be nice to keep the motors, but it's kinda nice to have newer things just so you can get replacements.

I suppose, if I end up changing everything out, I might be able to change to steppers then I would have to buy a new breakout board.

Would you recommend sticking with servos? The guy I bought the machine from was singing their praises vs steppers, but I don't have any experience with them to be honest.

Thanks again Todd.

More
03 May 2019 18:51 #132657 by randypetersen
Thanks bevins, I will shoot them a message!

I like your idea about the replacement of the motors too. If I went with those I would need the 7i77? or the step/dir controller?

Ya, they put everything in that box... computer/cpuPSU/drivePSU/drives... pretty crowded. So I am going to take cpu stuff out and then just have a stand alone computer. Ethernet wire or db25 connecting them. Should give it some space.

More
03 May 2019 18:59 #132659 by randypetersen
Thanks PCW!

I will get some more information on those items.

If you guys were retrofitting the machine, would you update the drives/motors at the same time?
Attachments:

More
03 May 2019 19:31 #132661 by Todd Zuercher
I would try to reuse the old motors. drives and power supplies. They were all chosen to work together for your machine application by a trained engineer (we hope), and should be properly tuned for your machine already. I would guess just from looking at them that they are Copley amps that take analog signals (75% sure) and would work excellent with Mesa 7i77 setup. But I would still want to lfind the part numbers and look up the manuals for them to be sure before ordering parts.

The old control motherboard and the other cards in the box are a much bigger question mark, but they are most likely useless for Linuxcnc.

More
03 May 2019 19:32 #132662 by randypetersen
Becins, Did you order those motors from China?

Only problem I have is that I am incredibly impatient. Is there a US source?
Actually got a couple projects that I would like to use CNC for, but are way past due. I am working on figuring things out, but I would love to get this machine up and running soon.

Thanks for any input!

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds