Mori MVJR Build Log

More
23 Aug 2011 23:18 #12701 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Re:Mori MVJR Build Log
Well it really should be right. SImply my fault building the bitfile.

Until HostMot2 can support Rev4 IDROMs its easy to forget to change the instance stride in the
VHDL source, I'll look at automating this based in the config type

This also means you currently cannot have a
UART / BSPI in the same config as a SSERIAL
thats the main reason IDROMV4 is needed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Aug 2011 23:30 #12702 by schmidtmotorworks
andypugh wrote:

schmidtmotorworks wrote:

If I understand you correctly, the cables from the 7i44 and 7i48 can be connected to any plugs on the 5i23, I just need to make sure I configure the pin-out the same way that it is connected.

No, one connector will be configured by the firmware for 7i48 and one as 8x Smart Serial. You can't (easily) change which function appears on which pin.

Do the cables need to be connected to the other boards when I setup with the firmware?

If not, I guess when the firmware does the configuration, I will be able to know where to connect the cables from that, is that it?

More
23 Aug 2011 23:32 #12703 by schmidtmotorworks
PCW wrote:

freeby.mesanet.com/5i23svss6_8.zip is the proper bitfile and documentation pinfile
This has the 7I48 on the first 5I23 connector and the 7I44 on the last
This also has the muxed encoder velocity estimate bug fix,
I hope this (muxed encoder revision 2 -->3) does not cause the driver to barf

Thanks a million for building those files so fast, I will try them tonight.

Best Regards

Jon Schmidt

More
23 Aug 2011 23:37 - 23 Aug 2011 23:38 #12705 by PCW
No problem, this stuff is somewhat on the bleeding edge so there may be a glitch here or there
but either Andy or I should be able to help you get this working fairly smoothly.

the .pin file shows the flat cable connections, you can figure out the daughter cards from that
You dont need the daughter cards to load the firmware so I would try bare board first
Last edit: 23 Aug 2011 23:38 by PCW. Reason: sp

More
24 Aug 2011 05:14 #12709 by schmidtmotorworks
Trying to install the firmware.

I downloaded the files and put them in my home folder and unzipped them.

The I went to Synaptic Package Manager; hostmot2-firmware-5i23 was listed there.
If I look at the properties there seem to be installed files at two main locations:

BIT and xml files at:

/lib/firmware/hm2/5i23/

and
PIN files at

/usr/share/doc/hostmot2-firmware-5i23

I tried to copy the files to those folders but access was denied.
made my login part of the "root" group but still couldn't do it.
I will probably have to come back to this later.

I double clicked hostmot2-firmware-5i23 in the Synaptic Package Manager; and then the Apply icon became active, so I clicked it. After some processing the hostmot2-firmware-5i23 is now version 8.0.

I don't think it referenced the file I downloaded though, seemed to be downloading something.
I checked the file SVSS6_8.PIN and didn't find any indication of what version it is.
I checked the folders:

/lib/firmware/hm2/5i23/
and
/usr/share/doc/hostmot2-firmware-5i23

and didn't find the files there so I think I need to try harder to get those files in the right folders then run Synaptic Package Manager again.

More
24 Aug 2011 06:40 #12710 by schmidtmotorworks
Used PnCConf, I must say that is one spectacular piece of work!

I didn't know the answers to some of the inputs, if i could work work out the answers, maybe I could write some additional detail for the help pages. Does that sound possible?

More
24 Aug 2011 13:41 - 24 Aug 2011 14:26 #12714 by PCW
You will have to copy the supplied files to the lib/firmware/hm2/5I23/ directory

You can do this by downloading the zip file, unzipping it, and at the command line typing:

sudo cp SVSS6_8.BIT /lib/firmware/hm2/5i23

Do not run the package manager to update firmware as it will not help
and may just overwrite the correct bit files with older ones

Likewise pncconf will not work with these bitfiles you must hand edit the hal an .ini files
Last edit: 24 Aug 2011 14:26 by PCW. Reason: clarify

More
24 Aug 2011 16:58 - 24 Aug 2011 16:58 #12716 by schmidtmotorworks
PCW wrote:

You will have to copy the supplied files to the lib/firmware/hm2/5I23/ directory

You can do this by downloading the zip file, unzipping it, and at the command line typing:

sudo cp SVSS6_8.BIT /lib/firmware/hm2/5i23

Do not run the package manager to update firmware as it will not help
and may just overwrite the correct bit files with older ones

Likewise pncconf will not work with these bitfiles you must hand edit the hal an .ini files

Great, thanks for the explanation of the copy trick, I was stumped by that.

In regards to editing the HAL and INI files, I guess I should start with some existing files and modify them, can you suggest some files to use as a starting point for these cards?

Perhaps now would be a good time to ask, is there anyone that does creation of the HAL and INI files as a professional service?
Last edit: 24 Aug 2011 16:58 by schmidtmotorworks.

More
24 Aug 2011 17:24 #12717 by clkeck1
Replied by clkeck1 on topic Re:Mori MVJR Build Log
Jon

How is your wiring diagram coming?

I would like to compare if possible.

Thanks
Cory

More
24 Aug 2011 17:52 #12719 by schmidtmotorworks
Presently I have two spreadsheets,

1. The connectors going to the control, that just lists all the pins (not the connectivity). I am using this to solder the wires to the connectors.
2. The listing of the wires and connectors from the control wiring diagram (I think I sent you the pdf of that).

Over the next day or two I hope to merge the two spreadsheets and I will post them here.
There are still some unknown wires that I didn't find in the control wiring diagram.

I haven't made a 2D wiring diagram yet, not sure if I need to, this seems to be a job for AutoCAD and I don't have AutoCAD, maybe I will get it or something similar.

One decision I am working on now is whether to use Touchy or not.
I bought a small touch screen monitor that fits in the original space on the control box. I don't know, maybe it is too small and maybe I should get a bigger one. I am thinking I will start with the small one to see if Touchy works out before I cut the control box and remove any of the buttons and switches.

I am not sure if I understand all the crireria for the decision to use Touchy or not.

My current understanding is that the advantage of Touchy is that it removes the need to wire all the switches that are on the control as some of them are obsoleted by the Touchy UI. I am thinking that maybe this will make less work to do, not sure.
Not sure what other considerations there are.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds