Mori MVJR Build Log

More
30 Aug 2011 15:31 #12857 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Mori MVJR Build Log
schmidtmotorworks wrote:

Chris Radek (the author of Touchy) did this one that is just like mine (in fact he wrote Touchy for this build) , he mentioned something about doing something special for the tool changer. Looking at the pictures, I think he may have used a different type of cards than the mesa cards I used, they look a little different or maybe it is just some colored connectors.

Darn it! I was sure it was Chris, but his timeguy.com website made no mention of it.
The thing is, if the logic is already written, in CL or a custom component, it is just a case of changing the input and output pin names to make it work for you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2011 16:40 #12858 by schmidtmotorworks
andypugh wrote:

The thing is, if the logic is already written, in CL or a custom component, it is just a case of changing the input and output pin names to make it work for you.

That's the problem, I have emailed Chris and Bill at the beginning and got a reply a couple, months later reccomending that I use the Honda connectors and a brief mention of the tool changer indexing somehow he modified it to be (if I remember correctly) quadarture. I don't think they get to thier email very often or they have lots of it.

I'm don't understand the details of quadrature but my indexer has 3 switches so I thought that made quadrature possible.

Well, I plan to start editing the HAL files next, maybe I will look a CL when I need a break from HAL.

More
30 Aug 2011 17:21 #12859 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Mori MVJR Build Log
If your tool changer output is BCD or Gray code that is easy to convert to a number. Can you describe the tool changer a bit better or better yet post a couple of photos of it.

My CHNC uses an absolute encoder so to speak, it has 8 hall effect switches that go to a multiplexer and the output from it goes to my input card. In HAL I convert the BCD to an integer and pass that to my ladder logic. The ladder does the actual moving of my turret and reports back if the change was a success. If it is similar enough you could cut and paste from some of my config files or if you can accurately describe the output from your tool changer rotary switch we can work something up.

They are located here .

John

More
30 Aug 2011 17:42 #12860 by schmidtmotorworks
Here is a picture of Bills machine same as mine.

Here is a video of a tool change on a similar machine.

#####################################
Tool Changer actions:

TUCL Tool Unclamp
SBLW Air Shot (not found maybe mechanical)
PTU Pot Up
PTD Pot Down
MER.P Air Pressure
TCLFN Tool Clamp OK
TUCL.M Tool Unclamp
ATCFOR Magazine Arm Forward
ATCREV Magazine Arm Reverse
MGON Magazine Motor
ARMON Main Arm Motor
? Magazine Arm Back
SRDB Brake On

Tool Changer sensors:

LS10 MAGAZINE ROTATION SIGNAL A
LS11 MAGAZINE ROTATION SIGNAL B
LS12 MAGAZINE ROTATION SIGNAL Z
LS14 ARM REDUCING POINT
LS15 ARM DOWN
LS16 POT UP CHECK
LS17 POT DOWN CHECK
LS18 TOOL CLAMP CHECK
LS19 ORIENTATION PIN IN CHECK
LS20 ORIENTATION PIN OUT CHECK
LS21 ARM ORIGIN POINT CHECK

More
30 Aug 2011 19:32 - 30 Aug 2011 19:41 #12861 by BigJohnT
Ok, you have a random tool changer that exchanges the tool in the spindle with the tool in the pocket. That part is easy just add RANDOM_TOOLCHANGER = 1 to the EMCIO section of the ini file.

Next it looks like you have an incremental encoder with index on the tool changer, so that would be a count up or down to get to the proper pocket. A homing routine would be needed to find the index on start up.

Spindle orientation is a bit above me atm but I need to know for when I convert my 308... That might involve disconnecting the spindle from the spindle drive routine and connect it up like an axis in HAL to orientate the spindle. Hopefully someone a bit better versed can chime in.

I would start with a step by step sequence in plain English and work from that.

Tool Prepare Tn
Tool In Position
wait for tool change
change tool M6
report tool change done

Most seem to be digital inputs and outputs that would go to a ladder routine.

Does the magazine motor rotate both ways?

John
Last edit: 30 Aug 2011 19:41 by BigJohnT. Reason: had a thought

More
30 Aug 2011 20:24 - 30 Aug 2011 20:27 #12862 by schmidtmotorworks

Does the magazine motor rotate both ways?

I used it very rarely (sometimes it dropped tools, nothing like seeing a nice carbide tool thrown around), I don't really remember if I saw it turn the other way. if I had to guess; I would say it only turned one way.

The spindle index does seem a bit mysterious.

Also there is a brake involved somewhere in the arm rotation, at some point in the rotation a limit swtich is hit and I guess it turns on a brake or something, not clear if it is an electric moror brake or a physical one (I haven't taken the cover off yet, still have the fantacy that I can leave part of the machine assembled.

I'll work on the logic of each step, the manual has a logic diagram but it seems to be non-random, actually, I wouldn't mind a non random tool changer, in fact I think I would prefer it.
Last edit: 30 Aug 2011 20:27 by schmidtmotorworks.

More
30 Aug 2011 23:56 #12865 by BigJohnT
I don't think you have a choice on how the tools are swapped and that makes it a random tool changer. The one in pocket 0 (the spindle) is swapped with the next tool so the tool that was in that pocket now has the tool that was in pocket 0. But I guess you could sort out a non random method too if you really wanted to spend the time doing that.

Yea, your going to have to find out step by step what the machine wants to change the tool. Doing it manually step by step with perhaps a pyvcp panel to execute each step might make it much easier to sort out.

Just turning one way does make it a bit simpler...

John

More
02 Sep 2011 20:08 - 02 Sep 2011 20:37 #12913 by schmidtmotorworks
Stumped again, I'm thinking this must be really obvious but after hours of looking around I can't figure out what to do.

The HAL file has lines like this for gpio.

#########################################
#7i64 Board 0
# net hm2_5i23.0.7i64.0.0.gpio.00.in
# net hm2_5i23.0.7i64.0.0.gpio.00.in_not
# net hm2_5i23.0.7i64.0.0.gpio.00.out

# net hm2_5i23.0.7i64.0.0.gpio.01.in
# net hm2_5i23.0.7i64.0.0.gpio.01.in_not
# net hm2_5i23.0.7i64.0.0.gpio.01.out

# net hm2_5i23.0.7i64.0.0.gpio.02.in
# net hm2_5i23.0.7i64.0.0.gpio.02.in_not
# net hm2_5i23.0.7i64.0.0.gpio.02.out

I'm guessing I should wire power to the coolant ON button so that when it is ON, power goes to this pin, then that somehow gets to EMC2.
I guess I will need a second wire that goes from the 7i64 to ground for each input, is that right?

The part I know I don't get is, what code passes that to EMC2? I can't figure out what to add to the HAL file.

I'm guessing it will be similar for many things like the limit switches etc.

Does anyone have any examples of a HAL file connected to a board similar to the 7i64?

Maybe it has something to do with this?

5.3 iocontrol (userspace)
These pins are created by the userspace IO controller, usually called io.
5.3.1 Pins
iocontrol.0.coolant-flood (bit, out) TRUE when flood coolant is requested

Thanks

Jon Schmidt
Last edit: 02 Sep 2011 20:37 by schmidtmotorworks.

More
02 Sep 2011 20:57 #12915 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Mori MVJR Build Log
schmidtmotorworks wrote:

The HAL file has lines like this for gpio.

#7i64 Board 0
# net hm2_5i23.0.7i64.0.0.gpio.00.in

The first point is that those lines are commented out, so do nothing.

Is this the skeleton HAL that PCW wrote for you?

I'm guessing I should wire power to the coolant ON button so that when it is ON, power goes to this pin, then that somehow gets to EMC2.
I guess I will need a second wire that goes from the 7i64 to ground for each input, is that right?

Yes. Well, technically you need to make current flow through the input from + to -, and can do that any way that is convenient for you.

The part I know I don't get is, what code passes that to EMC2? I can't figure out what to add to the HAL file.

You need to find a likely-looking HAL input pin, and use HAL "net" command to connect it to the 7i64 output pin (the gpio.00.in pin is a HAL output, even though it is a hardware input, because it provides the state of the physical pin to HAL.

For coolant on 7i64.0.0.gpio.00.in you need a HAL file line like:

net coolant-flood hm2_5i23.0.7i64.0.0.in => iocontrol.0.coolant-flood

This creates a signal called "coolant-flood" (though you could call it "betty" if you wanted) and links it to the 7i64 input pin. There is a => there to tell us the way the data flows. EMC2 pays no attention to the arrows, they are for human readers and can be omitted.
There is a listing of the pins here:
www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/config_emc2hal.html
And some extra ones here:
www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/gui_halui.html

You need to keep track of pin directions and types. Have you read: www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/hal_basic_hal.html ?

More
02 Sep 2011 21:04 #12916 by schmidtmotorworks
That's exactly what I needed, I just wasn't smart enough to figure it out.

Thanks a lot, I'm stuck in a hotel for the weekend and the only English TV is a 1 hour cycle of BBC news, so I'm hoping to make good use of this time to get these HAL files cobbled together the best I can. Thanks to your help I think I can move ahead.

Best Regards

Jon Schmidt

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds