deb buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ lucid v2.5_branch-rt
deb-src buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ lucid v2.5_branch-rt

ran

sudo apt-get update
and
sudo apt-get install emc2

and got the following:

"emc2 is already the newest version."

but when I run it the splash screen does say 2.4.6.

maybe there is something wrong with the distribution?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2011 23:47 #12798 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Mori MVJR Build Log
schmidtmotorworks wrote:

It just worked for me.

Are you sure the changes to the file stuck? You might need to sudo to get write access to that file.
On my system (fresh liveCD install) the file did not exist and needed to be created.

Are you sure you have the exact path correct? ( /etc/apt/sources.list.d/emc2-buildbot.list )

More
29 Aug 2011 04:07 #12807 by schmidtmotorworks
andypugh wrote:

schmidtmotorworks wrote:

It just worked for me.

Are you sure the changes to the file stuck? You might need to sudo to get write access to that file.
On my system (fresh liveCD install) the file did not exist and needed to be created.

Are you sure you have the exact path correct? ( /etc/apt/sources.list.d/emc2-buildbot.list )

Thanks for confirming that it works, so I pressed on.

I found the problem, the path looks right in the file manager but when I did:

gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/emc2-buildbot.list

it opened an empty file so there must have been something wrong with the path but I still can't see what it might be. Anyhow, Real time is installing now.

Before I make a mess of things, can I also install the sim version too without making a conflict?

More
29 Aug 2011 11:45 #12812 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Mori MVJR Build Log
You can just use a sim config like Axis sim and don't need to install the sim version.

John

More
29 Aug 2011 16:23 - 29 Aug 2011 16:24 #12817 by schmidtmotorworks
Thanks for everyones help, I think I see light at the end of the tunnel.

Progress report:

Ran into an issue with monitor, it is a 10.2" xenarc touch screen, I liked it because it would fit in the original space in the control box. Problem is, it has 800x600 resolution, if I start the computer with a standard monitor then set the resolution to 800x600 I can switch the cable to the xenarc and it works fine, but if I restart the computer it goes back to VGA. I tried to create an xconfig file and add some lines to some other start-up files but it doesn't act consistently, some times I restart and it goes to 800x600, sometimes VGA with the regular monitor. Never starts at 800x600 when the xenarc is connected. It doesn't seem to be recognised properly. Oh well, if I don't get that figured out, I'll just get a monitor that is VGA.

Soldering the last 30 wires today.
Next steps:

Get Skeleton HAL file. (I wonder if there is enough doc information or examples anywhere that I could do that myself?)
Edit HAL file to match machine configuration.

Start connecting and testing probably in this order?:
1. Encoders
2. Limit switches
3. Spindle
4. Servos
5. Manual Tool eject
6. Tool changer ( I can do most work without a tool changer, this can wait)

One mystery I need to start looking into is how to do the tool changer, maybe this is what Classic Ladder is about.
Last edit: 29 Aug 2011 16:24 by schmidtmotorworks.

More
29 Aug 2011 16:35 #12818 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Re:Mori MVJR Build Log
Sometime today I will cobble up a HAL/INI file with support for the 7I48, PWM modes set properly, and all the 7I64 I/O at least listed in the file (commented out)
I think since the 7I64 I/O is active high, for simplicity I will just include the true inputs

I can verify this HAL/INI file with matching hardware here

Things I am not competent to do are connecting EMCs axis to the PID loops ((Is this a 5 axis setup?) and setting up the spindle DAC/encoder, an of course all the misc I/O

Maybe whats needed is a collaborative edit session...

More
29 Aug 2011 17:24 - 29 Aug 2011 17:26 #12819 by schmidtmotorworks
PCW wrote:

Sometime today I will cobble up a HAL/INI file with support for the 7I48, PWM modes set properly, and all the 7I64 I/O at least listed in the file (commented out)
I think since the 7I64 I/O is active high, for simplicity I will just include the true inputs

I can verify this HAL/INI file with matching hardware here

Things I am not competent to do are connecting EMCs axis to the PID loops ((Is this a 5 axis setup?) and setting up the spindle DAC/encoder, an of course all the misc I/O

Maybe whats needed is a collaborative edit session...

Thanks a lot for the help, if there are any docs on creating the HAL/INI files that you can point me to, I can try to do it myself.

The machine has servos for 5 axis but I don't have the rotary tables for the 4th and 5th right now, so for now, I will just run it with 3 axis.

The axis wiring diagram has these abreviations on them, I think the next thing for me to do is look at some HAL or INI files (not clear which yet) to see if there are pin outs for similar connections. Maybe I will get lucky and the abbreviations are a standard format, if not I guess there will be some more research to do.

Servo?
ATX
BTX
DAX
SGX
SVONX
TGONX
SRDX
OC
FUX
OC
OLX
OC
ALX
OC

Encoders?
M(TG)
L(TG)
C(PG)
D(PG)
A(PG)
B(PG)
R(PG)
S(PG)
H(PG)
G(PG)
Last edit: 29 Aug 2011 17:26 by schmidtmotorworks.

More
29 Aug 2011 17:49 #12822 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Mori MVJR Build Log
schmidtmotorworks wrote:

Ran into an issue with monitor, it is a 10.2" xenarc touch screen,
<snip>
Get Skeleton HAL file. (I wonder if there is enough doc information or examples anywhere that I could do that myself?)
Edit HAL file to match machine configuration.

Start connecting and testing probably in this order?:
1. Encoders
2. Limit switches
3. Spindle
4. Servos
5. Manual Tool eject
6. Tool changer ( I can do most work without a tool changer, this can wait)

One mystery I need to start looking into is how to do the tool changer, maybe this is what Classic Ladder is about.

Are you using the touch screen interface Touchy?

Your order looks good.

Yes the tool changer is usually done in Classic Ladder. You pass it the tool number and tool change request and it moves your ... and when done reports back all is ok.

Non of those abbreviations make any sense to me.

Find one of the encoders and trace the wires from it back to a terminal to see what it connected to. Normally you have A and B channel and Z for index and if differential (very common) then two wires for each one plus a couple of wires for power and ground to the encoder. Also you might find a part number on the encoder and do a search for the pinout for it.

John

More
29 Aug 2011 18:18 #12823 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Re:Mori MVJR Build Log
BTW TG sounds suspiciously like Tachometer Generator
and PG like Pulse generator (encoder?)

More
29 Aug 2011 18:29 - 29 Aug 2011 18:45 #12824 by schmidtmotorworks

Are you using the touch screen interface Touchy?

Not sure yet, I have looked at axis and touchy, really impressed by both of them.

I was planning to use exisitng mechanical buttons and knobs for jog and feed controls but both axis and touchey seem to do a lot of that.
Seems to be some redundancy there.

I am not sure I would like to give up my mechanical buttons and knobs, so I'm still deciding what to do there.

Maybe TkEMC would be right for me if I keep my original buttons and knobs, which UI is the easiest to customise out the feed and speed overrides?

Maybe the mouse control wouldn't be too bad after getting used to it?

I'll start digging into the meaning of those servo and encoder abbreviations.
Last edit: 29 Aug 2011 18:45 by schmidtmotorworks.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds