Mori MVJR Build Log

More
04 Sep 2011 13:49 #12956 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Mori MVJR Build Log
schmidtmotorworks wrote:

OK This is what I pieced together for the spindle mostly from:
www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/examples_spindle.html

I couldn't figure out what to do where it says "<your DAC pin name>" (I think this would go through the 7i48)

Note: I still have to set the pin numbers.

Just to make sure I understand something about how these boards work:
If I want to send 12volt power to some destination, I need to use two pins; one to connect the power to and one to send the power out right?
Similarly if I need to accept power from a wire I will also need a pin to connect to ground, right?

If this is right, can one pin be used as a power source or ground for multiple other pins or do I need to make one matching power or ground pin for each input or output?

Then finally (I hope) if I need matching pars, should they be adjacent pins or some other arrangement?

The I/O pins are set by the firmware and how you configure it in the ini file. For example if you only use some of the stepgens the rest are set as I/O bits. To get your pinout you clear dmesg, start your config then run dmesg > pinout.txt and your pinout is saved to the file.

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2011 15:14 #12959 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Re:Mori MVJR Build Log
Actually schmidtmotorworks should not need to be concerned about the flat cable pinouts,
as really only the 7I48 and 7I64 terminal block signals are of interest. The HAL signal numbers ( the last one in the name) match the terminal block signal numbers (that is the HAL encoder pins ending with .00 reference TB4 ENCA0, /ENCA0, ENCB0, /ENCB0 on the 7I48 for example)

"If this is right, can one pin be used as a power source or ground for multiple other pins or do I need to make one matching power or ground pin for each input or output?"

Note the is _only_ for the 7I64:

All inputs and outputs on the 7I64 are isolated from each other. As Andy explained, the output are switches so for each output you must have a complete circuit that include the power supply, the load and the 7I64:
(PS+ and PS- are your DC control power probably 24VDC --> represent wires)

Here's a connection scheme for loads connected to PS-:

PS+ --> 7I64 OBIT0+ 7I64 OBIT0- --> +LOAD- ---> PS- (maybe GND)

Here's a connection scheme for loads connected to PS+

PS+ --> +LOAD- --> 7I64 OBIT+ 7I64 OBIT- --> PS- ( maybe GND)

More
04 Sep 2011 18:19 #12962 by BigJohnT
So he can just plug in the hardware, run the config then open up Show HAL Configuration and view all the pins?

John

More
04 Sep 2011 21:53 #12964 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Re:Mori MVJR Build Log
Yep thats how I got all the 7I64 pins...

More
04 Sep 2011 22:04 - 04 Sep 2011 22:05 #12965 by schmidtmotorworks
Thanks everyone for all your help it has been a marathon weekend at the computer.

Made a lot of progress, when I get it presentable I will post it. Hopefully in a couple more days.

Kind of enjoyable though.

I never thought I would know so much about my CNC
Those manuals that used to look like, well, Japanese are starting to look understandable.

Best Regards

Jon Schmidt
Last edit: 04 Sep 2011 22:05 by schmidtmotorworks.

More
05 Sep 2011 11:17 - 05 Sep 2011 11:18 #12981 by schmidtmotorworks

It is probably easier to think of current flow rather than voltages. COnsider the inputs as light-bulbs and the outputs as switches (especially in the case of the 7i65). Setting one of the 7i65 outputs to 1 in HAL allows current to flow from the + terminal out of the - terminal on the 7i65. So, you can share 0V lines and 12V lines, and you can even use a common 0V line between several 7i65 outputs, even if those outputs are switching different voltages, assuming that the power supply 0V lines are all common.
Similarly, the inputs to the 7i65 only send a signal to HAL when current flows through the connectors from + to -. You can put the switches, sensors, etc either on the high-side or the low side (ie, between 12V and the + terminal, with the - terminal to 0V) or the low-side (with 12V direct to the + terminal and the switch between the - terminal and 0V). You can even have a switch on both the high-side and the low side, but I don't know why you would want to. (switches in series both on the same side as the same effect, and would be simpler to wire back to the board)

OK If I understand correctly, I will only need 1 ground pin and one pin for each input voltage.

I wonder, is there any limit to that?
I'm not very familiar with how much amperage each of the circuits will draw, but I wonder if there is a limit that I should be concerned with so as not to overload the board.

For example there are a lot of buttons on the control that I am debating to use or not (they are redundant to controls in EMC2) each of those butons has a 24 volt lamp that goes on when they are active. I wonder if too many of them were on if it would overload the board if only one input pin were used..
Last edit: 05 Sep 2011 11:18 by schmidtmotorworks.

More
05 Sep 2011 12:02 #12982 by schmidtmotorworks
May I have some advice from users about redundant controls?

My exisiting control panel has buttons and knobs for the usual things:

Emergency Stop
Cycle Start
Feed Hold
Jogging (2 buttons for each axis)
Jog feed rate
Coolant ON
Coolant OFF
Spindle Override
Feed Override
Hand Wheel Encoder
Hand wheel encoder step size
Tool Magazine Advance
Rapid Speed
Spindle Forward
Spindle Stop
Spindle Reverse
Zero Return (each axis)
Reset, pulls out the spindle orientation pin to allow indicating, stops programs etc.

It looks like all of these controls are duplicated in both Axis and Touchy.

Can anyone that has run Axis or Touchy for some time tell me if some of these controls are left better to mechanical buttons and knobs or if the Axis and Touchy interface are satisfactory or even better?

It would sure be easy just to rely on the Axis or Touchy controls but if there are some that just don't work that well in practice, I would prefer to just do the work to wire in the needed controls. The one I have the most doubt about is the hand wheel for moving the axis when indicating.

More
05 Sep 2011 12:22 #12983 by BigJohnT
If you have the I/O wire them up. You can connect one at a time in HAL.

On my CHNC I have:

MPG (Manual Pulse Generator for moving the axis)
Axis selector switch for MPG
MPG selector switch for amount to move with each click
Cycle Start Button
Pause/Resume Button
Collet Open Button
Collet Close Button
Feed Override selector

And they come in handy and get used a lot.

John

More
05 Sep 2011 12:39 #12984 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Mori MVJR Build Log
schmidtmotorworks wrote:

OK If I understand correctly, I will only need 1 ground pin and one pin for each input voltage.

Not exactly.On the 7i64 (and only the 7i64) The inputs are all independent, so all need both + and - to be wired on every output. However, that can be one wire that loops from one to the next to the next and finally to 0V.
Actually, I would wire +24 to all the + terminals of the indicators, and connect - to each indicator and then a 0v wire back from the indicator to PSU 0v.

More
05 Sep 2011 12:58 #12986 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Mori MVJR Build Log
schmidtmotorworks wrote:

Can anyone that has run Axis or Touchy for some time tell me if some of these controls are left better to mechanical buttons and knobs or if the Axis and Touchy interface are satisfactory or even better?
It would sure be easy just to rely on the Axis or Touchy controls but if there are some that just don't work that well in practice, I would prefer to just do the work to wire in the needed controls. The one I have the most doubt about is the hand wheel for moving the axis when indicating.

Touchy _requires_ a jogwheel and physical run/stop buttons.
If you have the physical controls they are generally a lot nicer to use than than onscreen ones. I would say that you might as well wire them all up. it is only a couple of lengths of wire and a line of code for each one.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds