Mori MVJR Build Log

More
29 Aug 2011 19:28 #12827 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Mori MVJR Build Log
schmidtmotorworks wrote:

I was planning to use exisitng mechanical buttons and knobs for jog and feed controls but both axis and touchey seem to do a lot of that.
Seems to be some redundancy there.

It is easy enough to have both active, in general. It is sometimes a bit tricky if the switches are not momentary and the knobs are not encoders.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2011 19:36 #12829 by andypugh
schmidtmotorworks wrote:

Thanks a lot for the help, if there are any docs on creating the HAL/INI files that you can point me to, I can try to do it myself.

INI file is described here:
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/config_ini_config.html
HAL (in general) here:
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/hal_basic_hal.html

You should probably have a pncconf-created HAL and INI file for the motion, and you can then put all the 7i64 stuff in a separate hal file loaded next.

The only change that should be needed to the ini file will be to add "num_sserials=8" to the [HOSTMOT2] line. That will search all the connectors on the 7i44 for devices. If you think you might want to use some of the connectors on the 7i44 for general purpose IO then use num_sserials=2 and connect the 7i64s to the lowes-numbered connectors on the 7i44.

I can't see a 7i44 manual so I am not sure if the connectors are at all useful for GPIO.

More
29 Aug 2011 23:46 #12837 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Mori MVJR Build Log
andypugh wrote:

It is easy enough to have both active, in general. It is sometimes a bit tricky if the switches are not momentary and the knobs are not encoders.

Andy,

In 2.5 you can input a direct number for overrides like you would get from a gray code or bcd rotary switch.

www.linuxcnc.org/docview/devel/html/man/man1/halui.1.html

John

More
30 Aug 2011 00:01 #12838 by andypugh
BigJohnT wrote:

In 2.5 you can input a direct number for overrides like you would get from a gray code or bcd rotary switch.
www.linuxcnc.org/docview/devel/html/man/man1/halui.1.html

Yes, but unfortunately moving the onscreen sliders doesn't rotate the knobs to match, whereas with an incremental knob it does.

What is the behaviour if that parameter is set, does the slider still work, but jump to the absolute knob position when that is moved?

More
30 Aug 2011 00:43 - 30 Aug 2011 01:44 #12841 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Re:Mori MVJR Build Log
Here is a skeleton hal/ini file for 5 axis probably lots wrong with the EMC interface/axis etc but the encoders/5 PID loops work
and the sserial works, but there seems to be a startup bug with sserial we need to look into
(starts most times but sometimes fails to start)

freeby.mesanet.com/i23ss.zip has the hal and .ini file

7I44 is not too useful for GPIO as its is a terminated RS-422 interface so has low input impedance (100 Ohm) differential inputs
its really designed as a high speed RS-422 link
Last edit: 30 Aug 2011 01:44 by PCW. Reason: addition

More
30 Aug 2011 03:48 - 30 Aug 2011 03:51 #12842 by schmidtmotorworks
PCW wrote:

Here is a skeleton hal/ini file for 5 axis probably lots wrong with the EMC interface/axis etc but the encoders/5 PID loops work
and the sserial works, but there seems to be a startup bug with sserial we need to look into
(starts most times but sometimes fails to start)

freeby.mesanet.com/i23ss.zip has the hal and .ini file

7I44 is not too useful for GPIO as its is a terminated RS-422 interface so has low input impedance (100 Ohm) differential inputs
its really designed as a high speed RS-422 link

Thanks a million, that HAL file really helped me understand how the 7i64 ties in!

EMC2 started fine. I just restarted it 5 times, no problem.

I put the files in with the others in the hm2-servo folder.
I notice the new files you made have "ss" added to them, is the idea that I will get rid of the old files and rename these?
Last edit: 30 Aug 2011 03:51 by schmidtmotorworks.

More
30 Aug 2011 04:13 #12843 by schmidtmotorworks
As suggested, I ran the pins file and bootmsg.

Do these look right?

Here is bootmsg.txt

File Attachment:

File Name: bootmsg.txt
File Size:7 KB
Attachments:

More
30 Aug 2011 04:15 - 30 Aug 2011 04:16 #12844 by schmidtmotorworks
And here is pins.txt

If these are right, then I think I am ready to start fine tuning the HAL file.

If I understand correctly, I should not use pncconfig any more right?

Kind of lost about the tool changer but that can be postponed until everything else is working.

Thanks so much for everyones help, I never could have made it this far alone.

File Attachment:

File Name: pins.txt
File Size:37 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Aug 2011 04:16 by schmidtmotorworks.

More
30 Aug 2011 11:02 #12850 by andypugh
schmidtmotorworks wrote:

Kind of lost about the tool changer but that can be postponed until everything else is working.

Toolchangers are all so different that you pretty much always have to hand code them.
There are a few ways of doing it, using Classic Ladder if you are familiar with PLCs, in a C-code realtime component if you are comfortable with C, in Python if you are familiar with that (probably)

I have a feeling that someone already has a Mori toolchanger working with EMC2. I can't remember who it is, though.

More
30 Aug 2011 14:42 - 30 Aug 2011 14:57 #12856 by schmidtmotorworks
andypugh wrote:

schmidtmotorworks wrote:

Toolchangers are all so different that you pretty much always have to hand code them.
There are a few ways of doing it, using Classic Ladder if you are familiar with PLCs, in a C-code realtime component if you are comfortable with C, in Python if you are familiar with that (probably)

I have a feeling that someone already has a Mori toolchanger working with EMC2. I can't remember who it is, though.

Chris Radek (the author of Touchy) did this one that is just like mine (in fact he wrote Touchy for this build) , he mentioned something about doing something special for the tool changer. Looking at the pictures, I think he may have used a different type of cards than the mesa cards I used, they look a little different or maybe it is just some colored connectors.

Here is a web page Bill made of the build.

geektrap.com/bill/01248711886

I sent them email telling about this build log but I don't think they read email very often or have moved on to other interests.

One of my goals on this project is to compile a detailed set of instructions and files that anyone could follow for a similar machine.
I am learning so much from this it would be a shame for someone else to all the same steps when so much of it could be explained step by step. Maybe for someone with more experience with electronic machines the steps seem more obvious than they are for me.:unsure:
Last edit: 30 Aug 2011 14:57 by schmidtmotorworks.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds