Light Machine Corp. Benchman XTr (retrofit)

More
30 Oct 2019 01:06 #149088 by SOSMachining
Hey Guys,

It turns out all I needed to do was re-seat the nextmov card and everything fired right up. I'm now back to where I started with before moving from windows 98 back to windows NT in that my machine runs but the ATC isn't quite consistent enough.

I think I'll have to do some tweaking of the ATC this weekend because there must be a machine-computer configuration that needs to be adjusted since the tools aren't lining up quite right with the spindle.

I've also noticed that my probe doesn't seem to be quite as plug and play as I was hoping. I'm not sure how to prove if it's a software issue in that I don't have the right machine configuration or it there's something else going on. I've got the probe wired from the pinout that you provided a couple weeks ago but when I open up the probe dialog box and try to teach the machine where the probe is located I'm not able to jog any of the axis except for z+ which only moves the tool up.

Do you know if this means I'm at the limitations of the software that was on the machine when it left the factory? Is there any way to get around it or does this mean I'm stuck and won't be able to configure the probe to my machine?

Thanks Guys!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2019 18:47 #149201 by x-Intelitek Engineer
Do you have the setup instructions for the toolchanger? It details how to set up the toolchanger with the Z-Axis height, and the offsets from the calculated ideal position ideal in encoder counts. All of this information is stored in one of the .ini files. Too long ago for me to remember exact specifics, but Intelitek should be able to provide you with the ATC setup procedures as it is required after a toolchanger "crash". Maybe it is in the "Configure ATC" dialog box. I do not recall which spindle model you have, but the process is fundamentally the same.

More
30 Oct 2019 18:54 #149203 by x-Intelitek Engineer
If you can open the probe dialog box, I would assume that you have the probe s/w option installed.
It has been so long since I actually stood in front of one of these machines, I'm afraid that I'm not much use operationally.
Have you tried contacting Intelitek?

More
02 Nov 2019 05:30 #149407 by genixia
Consider this a holler! Why would you scrap it?

Where are you based? If you're insistent on ending its life, I'd be interested in the ballscrews, bellows, spindle (if 42k), ISO10 toolholders, the table. Oh, the polycarbonate door if it's in good condition. (Mine has a couple of cracks), a motor. Spares!

More
05 Nov 2019 20:11 #149646 by project-pegasus
Steve,
I could use the perforated panels that sit above the sump along with the pump.
Thanks

More
10 Nov 2019 01:52 #150037 by Gazoo
Hi LinuxCNC group, I'm new here, but thought I should join this group, as I'm a long time Benchman VMC4000 owner that's done a quite a bit of work, and some tuning to get the most I could from my little Benchman. I've accumulated a lot of documentation and such about these little machines, and would be happy to help if there was anything I could help the group with. I see we have
"X-intelitek Engineer" here too, and I'd like to quiz him on a few things if he still comes around to check in. My machine is a 1997 build year VMC4000 with a 10,000 RPM spindle, and no tool changer. I do have the air draw-bar, and R-8 spindle with it set up for Tormach style tooling for very quick manual tool changes. I found this discussion just yesterday while diagnosing a shudder in my Y axis. After doing a complete service of the linear rods, bushings, and ballscrews made no improvement, I dug a little deeper to find that the Y axis servo (an original Litton one) has an armature problem effecting one bar. I'm waiting for some recycled used replacements to arrive any day now. I hope they turn out to be in good condition, or I could be starting on a servo rewind project next week. I use my little Benchman a lot, and really need it making parts to finish up a few projects.

More
10 Nov 2019 22:52 #150078 by project-pegasus
Steve_a might be parting out his XT. I think the servos are the same as the 4000. Maybe you could buy his?

More
12 Nov 2019 14:08 #150199 by x-Intelitek Engineer
Gazoo,
The servo motors are the same between the 4000 and the Benchman series.
Be aware that if you disconnect the encoder, your laser calibration file will no longer be valid and you will lose accuracy.
There are also used motors to be found on ebay.
Good luck with your machine

More
13 Nov 2019 01:47 #150262 by james891
Hi guys,

I also decided to do the 5i25 with 7i77 card for my Benchman XT. This forum's been excellent, I'm very close. I just hooked up the encoder, it increments on the screen when I rotate the motor, so I'm guessing its hooked up correctly. I hooked up the servo, it moves when I jog from the program with the encoder UNPLUGGED (runaway). BUT, when I plug the encoder back in and go to jog, the servo is buzzing and just jittering back and forth. Any idea what the problem is? This is what my config looks like:

#********************
# Axis X
#********************
[AXIS_0]
TYPE = LINEAR
HOME = 0.0
FERROR = 0.1
MIN_FERROR = 0.05
MAX_VELOCITY = 2.0
MAX_ACCELERATION = 2.0
P = 40.0
I = 2.0
D = 70.0
FF0 = 0.0
FF1 = 1.0
FF2 = 0.0
BIAS = 0.0
DEADBAND = 0.002
MAX_OUTPUT = 0.0
ENCODER_SCALE = -50000.0
OUTPUT_SCALE = 10.0
OUTPUT_MIN_LIMIT = -10.0
OUTPUT_MAX_LIMIT = 10.0
MIN_LIMIT = -0.001
MAX_LIMIT = 8.0
HOME_OFFSET = 0.0

My units are inches and I couldnt find any FF values so they are default, the encoder is negative, when I put it positive, it stops at "joint 0 following error". Any feedback is appreciated!

More
24 Nov 2019 15:11 #151116 by james891
I got the x,y,z tuned now am onto the spindle for this Becnhman XT. Does anyone know how the spindle was controlled by the original nextmove card? Did the computer do the PID controls or did the DDM-019 do the PID controls with a +/-10 voltage from the computer? I think it's the ladder but not sure then why the spindle encoder wires come out of the DDM-019 into the main control board. Just for feedback? The DDM-019 also seems to send a 0-10V output for feedback so not sure why it would need both...

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.626 seconds