Emcoturn 120 lathe retrofit

More
16 Aug 2016 15:24 #78871 by Todd Zuercher
Why do you think you need to turn the home switches on and off? They are ignored when the machine isn't homing.

But if you must, there is a pin axis.N.homing that is true it that axis is homing (joint.N.homing if you are using master), just connect that to the output that turns them on/off.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2016 15:42 #78877 by LutzTD
Replied by LutzTD on topic Emcoturn 120 lathe retrofit
because on the emco it uses a hall sensor on the screw, so it will pass the activate it on every turn. maybe im crazy but I dont like that signal being sent all the time and I also dont want to have the sensor powered all the time for no reason. I want it to be automatic so its function would be seamless.

More
16 Aug 2016 15:58 #78880 by LutzTD
like this:
# power x-axis home sensor through output 1

net axis.0.homing => hm2_7i76e.0.7i76.0.0.output-00

# power z-axis home sensor through output 2

net axis.3.homing => hm2_7i76e.0.7i76.0.0.output-01

More
16 Aug 2016 15:59 #78881 by Todd Zuercher
So it is more like an encoder index pulse. There shouldn't be any problem with it on all the time.

More
16 Aug 2016 16:03 #78882 by LutzTD
for me it is slightly different. the encoder index would give 0 every time. this will give 0, 100mm, 200mm ... and wont know where. I am not an EE, is it better to leave these on all the time? do they fail due to hours on? Would it be better to use the pulse to determine its OK? I just hate having something on when it doesnt need to be on.

More
16 Aug 2016 16:44 #78885 by cncbasher
your making this into a a far more complex situation that it needs to be , they are meant to be powered all the time , it makes no difference , this also helps with the internals , that is if a fault does occour your advised of it .

if something is switched off then it cannot communicate , your over thinking problems .

More
16 Aug 2016 16:59 #78888 by LutzTD

your making this into a a far more complex situation that it needs to be , they are meant to be powered all the time , it makes no difference , this also helps with the internals , that is if a fault does occour your advised of it .

if something is switched off then it cannot communicate , your over thinking problems .

thanx :). I do overthink things, but I listen so I will leave them on.

next is the lube control. I am not sure if it pulses lube on its own time or if I have to time the pulses. I will be out of town the rest of this week so Ill look at it sunday.

thanx again

More
16 Aug 2016 17:16 #78894 by cncbasher
depends on the lube pump fitted , but i have a timer in my hal file to do that , so it's not pumping all the time
i noticed i was running a lot of oil , and realised i needed to add a timer , easy to do in hal

their usually biljur lube pumps that pump all the time power is applied , at a preset volume of oil over time
so simple to run the pump of a relay and timer

More
16 Aug 2016 17:34 - 16 Aug 2016 17:44 #78896 by LutzTD
yeah, I have a bijur on the mill, so that powers up when I trun on the mill and gives a shot every so often. Its a little much but for a mill im better with too much then not enough.

On the lathe I believe its a Vogel which pumps when its powered, so it would need to be powered with a timer cycle. If it could be further associated with a counter to count pulses so it could be per so many inches traveled it would be even more deluxe.

I also have a relay with a timer. It just needs a pulse and then I can set the duration of the lube run with the timer. I would prefer to do it in software.
Last edit: 16 Aug 2016 17:44 by LutzTD.

More
25 Nov 2016 18:59 #83310 by LutzTD
started working on the z-axis today. not having much luck. I wired the motor per the Wiki for the emcoturn120 retrofit using the berger/lahr steppers and the cotrol per the page here but the motor just pulses when I try to make a manual move. also once the button is released for the manual move it chatters. I am pretty sure I just used the default values for the motor tuning. Anyone have experience with the berger/lahr steppers other than on the wiki? It is incomplete in the setup of the drive as far as switches on the front and linuxcnc setup entries. Ill keep plugging away. I have the pulley info (2:1) and the step info from the motors, but I need to get the ballscrew data then calculate the proper step/distance value for linuxcnc setup.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.270 seconds