Emcoturn 120 lathe retrofit

More
25 Nov 2016 19:49 #83312 by tome
Replied by tome on topic Emcoturn 120 lathe retrofit
I recall having the same problem and ended up needing to wire my motors differently than the wiki (or perhaps I misread the wiki). Anyway, next time I am in the shop and have a moment I will try to look at my wiring diagram and settings. I think I documented what I did but it's been a while...
-Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2016 19:57 #83313 by LutzTD
Replied by LutzTD on topic Emcoturn 120 lathe retrofit
awesome thanx. At this point Im guessing I have 3 things wrong. the wires, the stepper settings in the software and Im unsure how to actually move the axis in linuxcnc GUI

More
29 Nov 2016 00:11 #83409 by LutzTD
Hi Tom, did you get a chance to review your motor connections? If you can print the motor settings in the Linuxcnc files for the step configuration that would also be a huge help. thanx

More
29 Nov 2016 00:33 #83411 by tome
Sorry, I have a family emergency and am traveling until Thursday. I'll try to do it then but things are a little crazy at the moment...

More
29 Nov 2016 00:57 #83413 by LutzTD
of course no worries, hope everyone is OK. I just assume people are like me. I have a short attention span. Of course all of the followers on this thread already know that :)

More
01 Dec 2016 20:17 #83538 by tome
I believe I ended up using advice from this thread rather than the Emco wiki to get my steppers working: forum.orientalmotor.com/viewtopic.php?t=609

Ultimately the thing that worked for me was advice from user Bluecoast in that thread. Here are snapshots of my notes:
bgp.nu/~tom/pub/IMG_3890.JPG
bgp.nu/~tom/pub/IMG_3888.JPG

If you look at the bottom of the third column in the notes you see the wiring numbers (in circle) looking down on the top of the stepper motor. The wires you use (I replaced the stock wires) will determine the color code, but you can see that numbers 1,8 (which are blue/red-blk for me) connect to the Vexta drive terminal labeled "Blue". Wires 2,5 (wht/org for me) connect to Vexta terminal "Red", and so on.

-Tom
The following user(s) said Thank You: LutzTD

More
02 Dec 2016 18:12 #83589 by LutzTD
thanx, I saw that thread and tried a couple of the configurations. I will now have to double check because the wire harness I have is full of black wires that are numbered, my assumption was they are numbered to the motor, but maybe those are Enco numbers, so I will have to remove the cabinet to check if they are corresponding to the stepper numbers. I started with the z, and its now inside the cover, so Im going to check the Y and then wire that one, if the wire number match there I would think they would also match on the z. Will try this weekend.

If its OK, could you snapshot your HAL and INI file stepper sections for reference? I see the picture shows I have some of the switches on the control wrong as well. so with these three pieces of info I can make a good try this weekend.

More
02 Dec 2016 19:02 - 02 Dec 2016 19:04 #83591 by tome

thanx, I saw that thread and tried a couple of the configurations. I will now have to double check because the wire harness I have is full of black wires that are numbered, my assumption was they are numbered to the motor, but maybe those are Enco numbers, so I will have to remove the cabinet to check if they are corresponding to the stepper numbers. I started with the z, and its now inside the cover, so Im going to check the Y and then wire that one, if the wire number match there I would think they would also match on the z. Will try this weekend.

If its OK, could you snapshot your HAL and INI file stepper sections for reference? I see the picture shows I have some of the switches on the control wrong as well. so with these three pieces of info I can make a good try this weekend.

Yes, I had black wires with numbers as well but they had hacked them off when the machine was removed so I needed to lengthen them with my own wires and figure out what number went where. I just put my own color coded wire in. If you can sort out the numbering on one I suspect they are all the same. I bet your problem is that wiring sequence to the Vexta drive. Anyway, attached is a zip file containing all my configs, probably more than you want, for the lathe.
-Tom
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Dec 2016 19:04 by tome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LutzTD

More
03 Dec 2016 23:15 #83636 by LutzTD
wow thanx for the files, that is awesome :) :) :)

in wire harness for the stepper, the numbered wires do not match the stepper terminal numbers, the picture attached is the way the Emco harness is wired. I rewired the stepper so that the harness wire number matches the stepper terminal number. 1-1,2-2,3-3,4-4,5-5,6-6,7-7,8-8,9-9,0-10. figured that was it but no go. Still just vibrates and doesnt move. I changed the option switches and found I only have 5 where you have 6 switches, but I matched the ones that are there. still no go. I looked at the ini files and it looks like you have more lines for the stepper config and the values are different. I knew mine were wrong so this is expected, I will try to merge the ini files some tonight and give it another shot.
Attachments:

More
03 Dec 2016 23:24 #83637 by LutzTD
I notice you have wires on the timing, o.heat/com terminals? where do those connect?

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds