Biesse Rover 346 Retrofit

More
21 Feb 2017 21:02 - 21 Feb 2017 21:50 #88463 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic Biesse Rover 346 Retrofit
Same Gcode file in 2.5 works but this is what is shown when same file loaded in 2.8.

Warning: Spoiler!
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Feb 2017 21:50 by bevins.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2017 21:35 #88465 by Todd Zuercher
Could you show us the G-code at line 20 plus a few lines before and after it?

More
21 Feb 2017 21:43 #88467 by bevins
Thanks Andy, cradek, greg in IRC. Had an offset in tool table that was fighting with the post.

More
22 Feb 2017 19:20 #88509 by bevins
First job on the machine, in and out. It did a great job. 3 hours faster than what I quoted.

4X8 sheets HDPE 1.5" thick.

Now I have to finish the machine....

More
23 Feb 2017 00:49 #88527 by tommylight
No beer ???
Congratulations, enjoy it.
Tom

More
23 Feb 2017 03:27 #88530 by bevins

Pieces cut still on vaccum.
Attachments:

More
23 Feb 2017 15:16 #88542 by tommylight
Nice! Realy nice.

More
23 Feb 2017 16:15 #88547 by bevins
I have been getting requests for these machines. I think I will start a thread for this not to contaminate my build log. But.....

After 1997 or somewhere around there, Biesse decided to change up their controllers. They got rid of the proprietory cardcage hardware backplane type controller and replace it with a PC running a form of Unix. Dont know yet what but it is unix.

Then they have made these RS485 input and relay boards to replace the relay boards I have on mine that are controlled directly with output of mesa's outputs.

To get thes relay boards to work I think there are three options.
1. Try to get the RS485 working with LinuxCNC. Guess would have to know the Biesse protocol to operate these and get inputs.
IF this is done and you can somehow connect rs485 in/outs in HAL makes this conversion easy and I would comment the retrofit could take days and not weeks.

2. Modify the boards so have a wire connecting directly to the relay and cutout the RS485 on the board and place remote 7i84's in the machine.

3. Use remote 7i84 in the machine and purchase relay boards and run the inputs directly into the mesa boards.

Those are the three options I see. There are alot of these machines with the RS485 boards, so it would be nice to get LinuxCNC to talk to them.

I know there is already modbus working, but probably just need to implement the protocol that Biesse uses. What I am questioning is are these coms fast enough for LinuxCNC to react for things like classic ladder and limit switches etc..... It does on the existing machines so I would assume it would be ok in LinuxCNC.

What are your thoughts on this?

You can see by the attached pic that it is using half duplex RS485 (2wire).

One thing to note that modules seem to homerun back to the controller and not daisy chained. They could very well be using star configuration on the board they connect to but not sure. They seem to have different addresses so maybe they are all on the same port. I dont know yet.

I have been getting requests for these machines. I think I will start a thread for this not to contaminate my build log. But.....

After 1997 or somewhere around there, Biesse decided to change up their controllers. They got rid of the proprietory cardcage hardware backplane type controller and replace it with a PC running a form of Unix. Dont know yet what but it is unix.

Then they have made these RS485 input and relay boards to replace the relay boards I have on mine that are controlled directly with output of mesa's outputs.

To get thes relay boards to work I think there are three options.
1. Try to get the RS485 working with LinuxCNC. Guess would have to know the Biesse protocol to operate these and get inputs.
IF this is done and you can somehow connect rs485 in/outs in HAL makes this conversion easy and I would comment the retrofit could take days and not weeks.

2. Modify the boards so have a wire connecting directly to the relay and cutout the RS485 on the board and place remote 7i84's in the machine.

3. Use remote 7i84 in the machine and purchase relay boards and run the inputs directly into the mesa boards.

Those are the three options I see. There are alot of these machines with the RS485 boards, so it would be nice to get LinuxCNC to talk to them.

I know there is already modbus working, but probably just need to implement the protocol that Biesse uses. What I am questioning is are these coms fast enough for LinuxCNC to react for things like classic ladder and limit switches etc..... It does on the existing machines so I would assume it would be ok in LinuxCNC.

What are your thoughts on this?

You can see by the attached pic that it is using half duplex RS485 (2wire).

One thing to note that modules seem to homerun back to the controller and not daisy chained. They could very well be using star configuration on the board they connect to but not sure. They seem to have different addresses so maybe they are all on the same port. I dont know yet.

Attachments:

More
23 Feb 2017 17:31 #88548 by bevins
Can I use a 5i21 and a 5i25 in the same LinuxCNC box?

More
23 Feb 2017 17:36 #88549 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Biesse Rover 346 Retrofit
Sure, but if you have a 5I25, why do you need a 5I21?

Time to create page: 0.321 seconds