Please Help - How to Configure a 5 Axis Head-Head

More
06 Aug 2023 00:34 #277070 by tommylight

Now to clear up Tommy's misunderstandings
basic probe has never been a side panel to axis. It's part of qtdragon. That is the only place you will find it.
the probing by versa is called Probe Screen V2 as per his github repo linked to in the forum thread above. github.com/verser-git/probe_screen_v2

See, confusion! :(
Thank you for taking the time to explain it, apparently for me it got to the point of mixing it all up as i try read everything on this forum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw, IronManDylan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2023 00:37 - 06 Aug 2023 00:42 #277071 by IronManDylan
I apologize for posting so many times in a row, but I am trying to figure this out in real time.  It appears the trouble I initially had with launching the Probe Screen V2 was due to the fact that it was written in python2, and apparently my machine is running python3.  Idk why this is, maybe because of downloading Probe Basic.  

I corrected those errors and now I have gotten another error. This error seems to be do to REMAP.  I don't really know anything about remap and what it is doing.  Just that Aciera was using some remap to change between Identity, TCP and TOOL.  Like I mentioned above, there are now two different subroutine paths in my ini file.  Not sure if this is an issue.  

I don't even see INTERP_REMAP: as a file name anywhere.  So I am a bit confused. 

Edit: also, manual_change.ngc is definitely in here so what the heck
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Aug 2023 00:42 by IronManDylan.

More
06 Aug 2023 01:00 - 06 Aug 2023 01:00 #277073 by IronManDylan
Here is some additional error information that may be helpful that I found a little further up.  I tried running from terminal as well and that did not seem to provide any relevant information that stood out to me.  Anyone have any ideas?
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Aug 2023 01:00 by IronManDylan.

More
06 Aug 2023 01:08 #277074 by rodw

I apologize for posting so many times in a row, but I am trying to figure this out in real time.  It appears the trouble I initially had with launching the Probe Screen V2 was due to the fact that it was written in python2, and apparently my machine is running python3.  Idk why this is, maybe because of downloading Probe Basic.  

Yes, If you look at the original post, it was released in 2015 when python 2 was the norm. Python 2 was depreciated some years ago.  With the release of Debian Bullseye, Python 3 was the only version shipping with Debian. This is pretty widespread with all distros. So by installing Bookworm, you left Python 2 behind and Python3 is required. You can't roll back to V 2.8 on Buster because you won't have the 5 axis kinematics you require. Herein is the problem using 3rd party extensions. There is no incentive on the developer to update his code and stay current.

This is why I am such a supporter of qtdragon. Updating to a compatible screen is a small price to pay. QT dragon is fully supported and well documented as is the QTVCP framework it's built with. It probably will support 5 axis but not the switchable kinematics as that is coded at the RT level, not in the GUI. 

If you were to attempt creating a  5 axis switchable config, post up in the QTVCP section and I am sure Chris will give you all the support you need.

More
06 Aug 2023 02:31 - 06 Aug 2023 02:43 #277080 by IronManDylan
Rodw
I have made a post in QTVCP here: forum.linuxcnc.org/qtvcp/49705-switchabl...is-identity-tcp-tool 

Yes, it is definitely a shortcoming not to have probing built into LCNC axis as this is a very fundamental part of machining.  I really hope we can make something work with qtdragon as that would be ideal.  Right now my backup plan is to do all my probing using gcode.  This would be extremely cumbersome but would get the job done I guess.  It looks like g38.2 will generate a probe, I plan to go test this in just a moment. 

If anyone has any idea why this configuration error is occurring with verser probe or has any other ideas please let me know. Thank you. 
Last edit: 06 Aug 2023 02:43 by IronManDylan.

More
06 Aug 2023 05:50 - 06 Aug 2023 06:15 #277087 by Aciera
The switchable kinematics feature as well as the custom kinematic is independent of which gui you are using. What you won't have is the custom pyvcp panel on the right with the buttons to switch between the kinematic modes (IDENTITY, TCP, TOOL) but you can switch between modes using the M428,M429 and M430 codes in MDI of any gui.

Not sure about about ProbeScreen. Can you compress your config folder and post it here?

[edit]

there are now two different subroutine paths in my ini file.  Not sure if this is an issue.

Looks like 'Probe Screen' comes with it's own set of remaps in a folder called 'macros'. You should only have one line in the ini file starting with 'SUBROUTINE_PATH='You can have a _list_ of subroutine paths, (note the ':' separator )

SUBROUTINE_PATH = ./macros:./remap_subs

With the above the system will first look in the 'macros' folder of your config and if it does not find the remap there it will then look in the 'remap_subs' folder.
Last edit: 06 Aug 2023 06:15 by Aciera.

More
06 Aug 2023 06:45 #277090 by rodw

The switchable kinematics feature as well as the custom kinematic is independent of which gui you are using. What you won't have is the custom pyvcp panel on the right with the buttons to switch between the kinematic modes (IDENTITY, TCP, TOOL) but you can switch between modes using the M428,M429 and M430 codes in MDI of any gui.

Adding a custom panel is quite simple. There is an example panel in qtdragon called belts which I did for my uses and Chris added it to the core code as a good example of how do add pins, controlls, a python handler and persistent variables.

Ref: linuxcnc.org/docs/2.9/html/gui/qtdragon....ed_custom_vcp_panels

Just find the belts.ui and belts.py and copy into your config folder under the./qtvcp/panels/belts folder
And edit to your hearts content.

More
06 Aug 2023 17:50 - 06 Aug 2023 17:52 #277126 by IronManDylan
Aciera
Yes! The compressed file number 1 is the config that is working (without a probe), 2 is the attempt to make verser probe work.  I have also attached the debug info. The file .axisrc is under my name (dylan) in my computer for the probe attempt.  Here is the link I was using: github.com/verser-git/probe_screen_v2/bl.../my-mill-postgui.hal

Okay, yeah that makes sense that the kinematcis could be switched through MDI and that wouldn't be too difficult.

Rodw
Okay that we be cool to add, is editing these pretty easy for a noob? 

I'm going to try to get qtdragon running then but aciera if you see why verser isn't working then we'll have options I guess.  I was able to get axis to probe using mdi and gcode, but thats super cumbersome so hopefully we can figure one of these other options out.  I did get the rotational offset to my spindle surface though. 2.3000 lol. 

Edit: for the verser probe attempt I added the postgui info to "custom_postgui.hal".  I really didn't know where to place it... 
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Aug 2023 17:52 by IronManDylan.

More
06 Aug 2023 18:44 #277131 by IronManDylan
Also, completely different topic for a second..

I just tried turning my spindle on using LCNC and could not (realized I hadn't tried that yet so just made an attempt).  I don't think I have a pin wired for spindle in HAL.  Though there isn't really a pin number for the Mesa 7i96s.  It's called SPINDLE -, SPINDLE +, SPINDLE OUT.  It has been a minute since I physically wired it, but I am pretty darn sure I wired it correctly. Does anyone know what I need to change in HAL to get it moving? Here is my HAL stuff related to spindle as it is right now:
#*******************
# SPINDLE
#*******************
setp pid.s.Pgain [SPINDLE_0]P
setp pid.s.Igain [SPINDLE_0]I
setp pid.s.Dgain [SPINDLE_0]D
setp pid.s.bias [SPINDLE_0]BIAS
setp pid.s.FF0 [SPINDLE_0]FF0
setp pid.s.FF1 [SPINDLE_0]FF1
setp pid.s.FF2 [SPINDLE_0]FF2
setp pid.s.deadband [SPINDLE_0]DEADBAND
setp pid.s.maxoutput [SPINDLE_0]MAX_OUTPUT
setp pid.s.error-previous-target true
net spindle-index-enable => pid.s.index-enable
net spindle-enable => pid.s.enable
net spindle-vel-cmd-rpm => pid.s.command
net spindle-vel-fb-rpm => pid.s.feedback
net spindle-output <= pid.s.output
# ---setup spindle control signals---
net spindle-vel-cmd-rps <= spindle.0.speed-out-rps
net spindle-vel-cmd-rps-abs <= spindle.0.speed-out-rps-abs
net spindle-vel-cmd-rpm <= spindle.0.speed-out
net spindle-vel-cmd-rpm-abs <= spindle.0.speed-out-abs
net spindle-enable <= spindle.0.on
net spindle-cw <= spindle.0.forward
net spindle-ccw <= spindle.0.reverse
net spindle-brake <= spindle.0.brake
net spindle-revs => spindle.0.revs
net spindle-at-speed => spindle.0.at-speed
net spindle-vel-fb-rps => spindle.0.speed-in
net spindle-index-enable <=> spindle.0.index-enable
# ---Setup spindle at speed signals---
sets spindle-at-speed true

More
06 Aug 2023 18:48 - 06 Aug 2023 18:59 #277133 by Aciera
Change this line in you ini file:

SUBROUTINE_PATH = ./remap_subs : ./macros

to this (Note the removed spaces!):

SUBROUTINE_PATH = ./remap_subs:./macros

[edit]
Also it seems that you are missing the call to load the pyvcp panel for probe basic

So in the [DISPLAY] section of your ini file change (ie add the missing lines) this

DISPLAY = axis

to:

DISPLAY = axis
EMBED_TAB_NAME=Probe Screen
EMBED_TAB_COMMAND=halcmd loadusr -Wn gladevcp gladevcp -c gladevcp -x {XID} -u python/probe_screen.py -H probe_icons/probe_screen.hal probe_icons/probe_screen.glade

Last edit: 06 Aug 2023 18:59 by Aciera.

Time to create page: 0.350 seconds