Gscreen - a GTK / Glade / Python based screen

More
15 Nov 2012 15:37 #26610 by JaysonWallis
The latest version works without modification.

Chris, if you have done something different, thank you,
If not I'm not sure what's going on but it works.

Jayson.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2012 15:41 #26611 by cmorley
Yes I automatically wrap the Gcodes now. Your info was the clue I needed.

I just pushed a fix for metric conversion when using G21/G20 mode and the basic machine measurement didn't match.

I am still working out the spindle controls....

More
17 Nov 2012 12:34 #26697 by cmorley
I pushed some changes to manual spindle control along the lines John was talking of...

More
17 Nov 2012 21:18 #26708 by BigJohnT
I'll do a pull later today... is there more than one gscreen? I see you mention a custom gscreen sometimes.

John

More
17 Nov 2012 21:34 #26709 by cncbasher
John , theirs gscreen_custom also in the sim directory , this is I think set to show 8 axis rather than the default 3 , although I have not ran it as yet

More
17 Nov 2012 23:07 #26711 by BigJohnT
Ok, thanks.

Chris,

I just tried out the spindle changes and it is still too confusing to me. For me the Spindle button seems to do nothing even though I know that enables the big plus and minus keys. Having to press Fwd then Start at nnnn then spindle then the plus or minus keys is confusing. I would assume that pressing Fwd would run the spindle at the current S speed and that pressing the Rev button would do just that run in reverse. After I get it running I'm lost as to what button stops the spindle. IMHO the preset button should pull up the number entry widget and really be separate from the axis functions on the right side of the screen. If the preset button just had Snnn and it changed to reflect the current S setting it would be clearer to me. If the Start at button just said Start and when running say Stop that would be clearer to me and IMHO much more intuitive to use.

One more little thing just crossed my mind that when you start up gscreen the first thing to show up should be the homing options.

THANKS for all your work on this Chris!

John

More
18 Nov 2012 00:11 #26713 by cncbasher
yea I think having try'd this John has somewhere the right approach for the spindle
need to cut down the sequence or multi use the buttons

more along the lines of select fwd or rev , (start at is preselected anyhow in preferences and probably wont be touched ) then spindle button becomes the start / stop ( label spindle as spindle start & spindle stop with dual colour blue /red etc
once running fwd /rev becomes + - speed control increase / decrease , only pressing spindle stop , stops the spindle ,and allows you to change direction

this gets us down to 2 button presses to start with i.e fwd /rev and spindle start in most cases , after the first initial start the direction would be already set , so only spindle start would be needed .

the preset button could be as John says pulls up a start up spindle speed which overrides the minimum , which has to be only entered before spindle start , once spindle start is pressed you can only increase / decrease speed or stop

i'd also have on gscreen start up if the machine is not homed , then everything is greyed out until it is , and only homing is allowed , perhaps a message ticker to say ' homing required , movement disabled ' perhaps

or have I missed something !

More
18 Nov 2012 00:43 #26714 by BigJohnT
For the homing I would only force homing if an ini entry said to. But the first thing normally done is homing so that should be what comes up when you start not the mist flood ones.

John

More
18 Nov 2012 01:34 #26716 by cncbasher
only means John whilst your waiting to figure out why the axis will not run and your getting covered in Coolant , after a few mins you remember to home the machine first .

perhaps the ! alarm could remind you to home first , but yes some form of machine not homed indication is needed , if homing is required and of course set in the ini

yes I agree the sequence of what is shown is perhaps becoming out of sync , and the complexity increases .. either way it's commendable that Chris has brought it to this level , it's becoming usable now

great work Chris .

More
18 Nov 2012 03:55 - 18 Nov 2012 04:07 #26726 by cmorley
Hey for the people interested in rolling there own screens - Gscreen can now load really custom screens:
This is gaxis.
It's a screen that Pavel sent me once.
It's now a sample screen in sim/gscreen_custom/gscreen_axis.ini
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Nov 2012 04:07 by cmorley.

Time to create page: 0.278 seconds